Bt170-bn stimulus to focus on tourism boost as economy slows

webfact

Bt170-bn stimulus to focus on tourism boost as economy slows

By The Nation

800_b11ab5b43c4d3d2.jpeg?v=1565236527

Lavaron

The Bt170 billion government stimulus package will be submitted for Cabinet approval on August 19, say top Finance Ministry officials.

Lavaron Sangsnit, the director general for the fiscal policy office, said today (August 8 ) that the package aims to boost inbound tourism, and promote travel within the country by both Thais and foreign tourists.

The stimulus will also support farmers, small businesses and middle income earners, he said.

The package comes after a sharp slowdown in economic growth to 2.8 per cent in the first quarter.

The government is also worried that a stronger baht and weaker Chinese yuan would adversely affect the number of Chinese tourists visiting Thailand.

The Bank of Thailand on Wednesday cut its policy rate by 25 basis points to 1.5 per cent, in a move intended to drive the economy, he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30374470

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-08

57 minutes ago, webfact said:

The stimulus will also support farmers, small businesses and middle income earners, he said.

Yes but in the fine print the stimulus to these people is in the form of making state bank loans easily available to them. To quote:

"Stimulus of financial measures and aid to workers, farmers and small business with bank loans".

Great support that is! Surely it will drive them deeper into debt. Fix one problem and create another. As usual no thought given to the consequences.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/07/18/new-thai-government-economic-stimulus-minister-somkid-thailand-airports-drop-passengers/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Ah, the old "get the suckers to spend their way out or our financial woes' routine

Its like everywhere else. Run up your credit card and your grandchildren will pay for it long after you are gone.

5 hours ago, zydeco said:

As long as I have to worry about TM 30s, I'm not going anywhere.

Well at least you dont need to visit your mother-in-law anymore, otherwise she has to report you or get a massive fine. 

6 hours ago, zydeco said:

As long as I have to worry about TM 30s, I'm not going anywhere.

Agreed, why go to Pattaya, run the ladyboy gang gauntlet be charged extra because i was not born here and then me the wife and the landlord run around for 1/2 a day to make a grand  entrance at IO and say IM BACK. Get wise Thailand its falling apart and not the fault of the minions. 

Edited by Almer
Spelling
  • Like 1

1) much too late for any stimulus; the TAT should have educated Thais how to deal with tourists before the tourists got properly shaft"*ç"d and are going elsewhere now
2) wondering, how the distribution key of this hell of an amount will look like