Lizards in the home

Gumballl

I have a handful of lizards living in my home. Some are about 6+ cm in length, others are smaller. They seem to be harmless, and can serve as a jolt to waken the heart when walking into a dark room.

I have learned to live with these creatures because they serve as bug cleaners. I am tempted to assign them names, similar to what would be done for a pet.

Would you do the same, or declare war?

I have quite a few in my house, but like you I don't mind them, as I too believe that they eat other undesirables. Until that is they make that horrible screeching noise in the middle of the night, that does piss me off somewhat. They keep having babies that the cat then eats, so the population is kept under control.   

The little plain ones (Jinjoks) are always welcome, madam puts moth balls in places she doesn't want them to go (nick-nack cupboards).

The bigger, brightly coloured, noisy ones (Tokay) remain outside and are evicted if they come in the house.

15 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

If they could be toilet-trained I'd like them more.

Sounds like the wife. I tell her not to consider them lizard poo, but rather severely immobilized bugs that we don't have thanks to these tireless security reptiles 

Small ones are no problem. I have been playing hide and seek for last 6 weeks with a tookay one. Twice I have got within grabbing distance before it bolted off to hide behind things. You can get spray in homepro and on lazada that is lemongrass based I think . Doesn’t keep them away totally but does seem to reduce the small ones coming in the house.

Are you talking about Geckos?  I will assume that is the lizard you are talking about. 

I've often had a few little "House Gecko" lizards in my residence in Thailand or my apartment in Cambodia.  If that is the type of lizard you have, I would not be concerned if they are only a few.   There are many types of Gecko.....  Keeping them or getting rid of them for me... would depend on what type of Gecko they are. 

You are quite correct they get rid of the other bad bugs you don't want around.  They are considered good luck by many people in southeast Asia.  

So if they are just the little "House Geckos"  I would just ignore them.. leave them alone.  

But if they are the larger Tokay Gecko..... I would get rid of it somehow. The big Tokay Gekos make a crazy noise that will wake you in the night. And they get big enough that you will not want them living in your house with you. 

The little House Geckos just make a little squeek noise which is much quieter and much less likely to wake you.  House Geckos noise has never woken me.  Two or three of them in my place never bother me.  I just ignore them and let them hunt bugs. 

13 minutes ago, pennine said:

I had one in my bathroom about 30 cm long. What is that called?

If brightly coloured probably a tokay.

Do take care if you want to evict these guys, they have a powerful bite.

Tokay_gecko_@Vnm.jpg

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

The little plain ones (Jinjoks) are always welcome, madam puts moth balls in places she doesn't want them to go (nick-nack cupboards).

The bigger, brightly coloured, noisy ones (Tokay) remain outside and are evicted if they come in the house.

Those sound more like geckos rather than lizards. But keem anyway. They eat cockroaches as well as mosquitoes 

21 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I don't like them and will kill them if I get them, they shit all over the place and I have never seen them eating insects, they like to get in the rubbish eating food.

Perhaps try disposing of the food rubbish, either as compost or off the premises, and then they will do as nature intended, Eat insects

I have used several ways to get rid of them and they all work quite well. A rubber snake strategically placed chicken egg shells can scare them off as they think there are larger predators around. Put some chilli in a spray bottle with water and spray the areas you don't want them to walk. They don't like the feeling on their feet.

The House Geckos make a great toy for my kitten. He will climb the mosquito nets on the windows just to get to them... Otherwise I don't mind them at all, keep the house clean of bugs, even if they shit on the walls. Next time I'm repainting the inside I'll have to chose better colour.. Never seen a cockroach in the house, but have seen cockroach legs on rare occasions. I would say that a cockroaches lifespan is very short in my house because of the Geckos.

I don't mind the Tokays either. They do their part to keep the house clean of undesirables. And they do kill snakes on occasions too. True, can be a bit noisy if they happen to be in the bedroom with you...

I'm fine with Geckos it's my Mrs that has the problem, like a lot of Thai ladies, they don't like them, Very small ones in the bathroom I catch by hand and release outside, yeah I know they'll be back, the bigger ones, I take off the drain cover and hit them with they water from the shower, they flush down the drain and the Mrs is always very grateful ???? 

Tokays are noisy gits and I do all I can to discourage them. 

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Give them names, enjoy them.

Yes, live and let live.

Where I lived in Africa people thought there was something wrong if a house didn't have the two types of lizards common in the area ... the same was true if you didn't have the nearly flat wall spiders that were found in every house.

Gecko, Jing Jock, Tokay..........................whatever, I kick them all out. They shit everywhere - if you're happy being shit on in the middle of the night, live with them - I just hope you don't sleep with your mouth open ????.

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I don't like them and will kill them if I get them, they shit all over the place and I have never seen them eating insects, they like to get in the rubbish eating food.

Only a heartless newbie farang would take such a warlike attitude toward these cute little creatures.

Lizards have been around a lot longer than people and don't damage the planet like people do.

For God's sake, give them their peace and freedom.

Archived