Circuit breaker tripping

lemonjelly

14 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

While it does appear to be an ancient unit that should be replaced, a new unit will also trip if it is a N-E fault.  The most likely place for N-E fault is in the outlet/switch box full of critter crap/eggs/nest/etc.  Starting with outside boxes, pull the cover and the guts to check for stuff that shouldn't be there.  You can leave the power on as long as you take care where you grab things.  I'm guessing you have one, probably several, in need of a vacuum.

NEVER work live, ever. It doesn’t take much to cause injury or an untimely death. It’s just not worth it

On 8/9/2019 at 10:43 AM, lemonjelly said:

Here’s the circuit breaker, god knows how old it is. Is it RCD or MCB?.... no idea. I don’t want to replace the whole box if possible as it’s rented accommodation and the landlord is averse to spending money.

34CB754C-4147-4708-ADA9-5AD876C73422.jpeg

Try to get rid of that scented mosquito sprayer thing that's plugged into the board. It might be adding to your moisture problem. 

Wife and I built a big house at our farm at Don Ghedi and I wired it up. I made a temporary power board with main switch being a 63A rcd Safety-T brand bought at a local store. One of the workers using an electric cut-off saw said there is no power. I found the main switch/rcd developed a fault - the same day it had been used for the first time. I bypassed the rcd and used the main switch as circuit breaker and replaced the circuit breakers controlling the variety of power outlets with 20A, 30 m/a trip settings. In fact, I brought from Australia Clipsal brand, Australian made circuit breakers and rcds which I used in the circuit board. Not long after, there was a wild storm with lightning strikes and several houses in this area had severe damages done to the electrical systems. Our house copped a strike via wi-fi aerial which tripped the rcd controlling the wi-fi setup but there was no damage whatsoever. In my opinion the damage to electrical system at other house was due to bad earthing system and/or bad circuit breaker/rcd. Having said that, I would not buy RCDs or circuit breaker in Thailand unless they are of known and reputable brand. Paying a bit more for protection pays for itself in more ways then one.

Archived