Income Verification Letter

First off, I am new to the forum, forgive me if this has been asked and answered.

I understand the background that several embassies in Thailand stopped issuing the Income Verification Letters, for various reasons.  However, I also understand that the US Embassy still issues the letters (without verifying income, just notarizing the signature) in other countries.

Could you use an income verification letter, from your embassy, (say in the Philippines), for a retirement extension in Thailand? 

Only the US embassy (and consulate) in Thailand stopped notarizing the income affidavits. It doesn't appear to be a worldwide ban. In other countries, the US embassy has not issued a prohibition on notarizing such affidavits.

So my question is, if I swore out an income affidavit, notarized by US embassy in Manila - could I use it in Thailand for the extension? 

59 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes you can use an income letter from your embassy if they issue one, but the US embassy do not provide income affidavits anymore.

He,s asking that seeing as US embassies in OTHER countries WILL issue a letter of income,  if it would be valid in Thailand if the letter was for example from US embassy Phillipines. 

2 hours ago, La Migra said:

So my question is, if I swore out an income affidavit, notarized by US embassy in Manila - could I use it in Thailand for the extension? 

Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

The answer is no.

For those embassies affected, Thai immigration has issued new rules re: documentation of income supporting an extension of stay. 

These do not include affadavits. They do include proof of cash in the bank, or monthly qulaifying foreign transfers.

So, no, can't see an affadavit from the Philippines being accepted here, in fact presenting it might cause more issues.

6 hours ago, La Migra said:

Could you use an income verification letter, from your embassy, (say in the Philippines), for a retirement extension in Thailand? 

It would not be accepted.

What the US embassies in other countries are doing is allowing a person to do a self certification of the proof they have of their income (SSA statement for example). I am certain that would not be accepted at immigration here.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Well, shoot.

I thought I had stumbled across a way for the folks who keep reporting problems documenting their qualifications for extensions, to simplify the application, by getting an income affidavit from their embassy in a 3rd country.

I recognize UbonJoe as the expert on this, so thank you to all. 

Edited by La Migra
  • Like 2

On 8/9/2019 at 3:08 PM, La Migra said:

If it were that easy, there would be a long queue in Manila embassy. If you think of an easy scheme to defeat the purpose of "income deposited into a Thai bank", rest assured that it is not acceptable. If you're no getting the "income letter" from your embassy, the only way is to deposit money in a Thai bank every month from abroad for extension. Or you can go to your home country and get an O-A visa (good for two years). Why are you even exploring other options? If you cant meet one of the option (Out of three), you should move to Manila. If you're married, there is a no-money Non-O option from a few neighboring countries. 

Edited by onera1961

• 9 months later...
On 8/10/2019 at 7:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

What the US embassies in other countries are doing is allowing a person to do a self certification of the proof they have of their income (SSA statement for example). I am certain that would not be accepted at immigration here.

As my problem is not going away I have to find another route.

I was approved Elite visa on 03rd of march, 500k.

I am on an extension of stay on my Non O-A valid until 18th June.

I did not keep 800k in my bank as I knew, Elite was approved.

Paid this week Elite and sent them an email that payment done and to make an appointment at immigration to cancel my non O-A and to affix the Elite visa.

Got email back saying that now, in order to cancel the O-A, I have to show 800k first.

Situation is, I can-t go for a new O-A as I can't show 2 months of 800k

I can't cancel my O-A as no prove of 800k

I can't get Elite as first, O-A must be cancelled.

Yes, I spoke yesterday with a manager from Elite and he also has no clue. Refunding my money, well, that is another story. They have to see my case and it will take time.

I called my Embassy yesterday and they will provide me an affidavit.

Does it need to be pension income or general income?

Do I need to show immigration proof of money being paid in Europe (that's no problem).

Will immigration even look at my affidavit or is this option a waste of time.

Thanks

13 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Got email back saying that now, in order to cancel the O-A, I have to show 800k first.

are you doing this through an agent 

sounds like you're being fleeced as none of it makes sense

10 hours ago, smedly said:

are you doing this through an agent 

sounds like you're being fleeced as none of it makes sense

no. I applied directly with Elite Visa and was approved after 2 weeks, on 03rd of march.

I know, nothing makes sense but now, money paid and having a hard time to get the money back. Spoke to different people at Thai Elite Visa but English knowledge is not very great. Would have thought that their customers are all foreigners and English would have been a must to work at their office.

On 5/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, AlfHuy said:

As my problem is not going away I have to find another route.

I was approved Elite visa on 03rd of march, 500k.

I am on an extension of stay on my Non O-A valid until 18th June.

I did not keep 800k in my bank as I knew, Elite was approved.

Paid this week Elite and sent them an email that payment done and to make an appointment at immigration to cancel my non O-A and to affix the Elite visa.

Situation is, I can-t go for a new O-A as I can't show 2 months of 800k

I can't cancel my O-A as no prove of 800k

I can't get Elite as first, O-A must be cancelled.

Yes, I spoke yesterday with a manager from Elite and he also has no clue. Refunding my money, well, that is another story. They have to see my case and it will take time.

I called my Embassy yesterday and they will provide me an affidavit.

Does it need to be pension income or general income?

Do I need to show immigration proof of money being paid in Europe (that's no problem).

Will immigration even look at my affidavit or is this option a waste of time.

Thanks

It sounds like you are being mis-directed into an impossible quandry - when there is another way to solve this.

You say you are here on a "Non-OA Visa" - do you mean a Visa-Sticker you got at a Thai-consulate in your passport-country?  If so, after the "enter before" date on that visa is in the past, you can leave the country, then return and get your Elite Visa sticker and stamp.
 - OR -
Are you are on an "extension of stay" from an Immigration office in Thailand, instead?  If this is the case, you can leave after June 18th (before, if no re-entry permit), then return and get your Elite Visa sticker and stamp.

You will probably need to fly into Swampy on your return, to get the sticker and stamp affixed, with an appointment made with the Elite folks to do it at that time.

Note that you can stay until July 31 w/o doing anything, due to the "automatic covid extension"  - so can wait at least that long to do this - i.e. "when travel is possible, again."

Edited by JackThompson

31 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It sounds like you are being mis-directed into an impossible quandry - when there is another way to solve this.

You say you are here on a "Non-OA Visa" - do you mean a Visa-Sticker you got at a Thai-consulate in your passport-country?  If so, after the "enter before" date on that visa is in the past, you can leave the country, then return and get your Elite Visa sticker and stamp.
 - OR -
Are you are on an "extension of stay" from an Immigration office in Thailand, instead?  If this is the case, you can leave after June 18th (before, if no re-entry permit), then return and get your Elite Visa sticker and stamp.

You will probably need to fly into Swampy on your return, to get the sticker and stamp affixed, with an appointment made with the Elite folks to do it at that time.

Note that you can stay until July 31 w/o doing anything, due to the "automatic covid extension"  - so can wait at least that long to do this - i.e. "when travel is possible, again."

Hello,

I got my Non 0-A in 2018 in Brussels. Arrived in BBK in July 2018. In June 2019, I left Thailand for a short trip abroad and got at Suvarnabhumi a stamp "admitted until 18th June 2020" This gave me almost 2 years. I have a multi re-entry permit, valid until 18th June 2020.

Flying out of Thailand and coming back is impossible right now. 

I have an appointment this week with my embassy to get an affidavit, letter of income. Maybe this would still  be accepted by immigration.

Let's see, how things work out.

9 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

I have an appointment this week with my embassy to get an affidavit, letter of income. Maybe this would still  be accepted by immigration.

It should be accepted instead of the 800k baht in the bank Thai Elite says you need.

I think when you get to immigration they will see that you have a OA visa entry and say it is not required.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It should be accepted instead of the 800k baht in the bank Thai Elite says you need.

I think when you get to immigration they will see that you have a OA visa entry and say it is not required.

At the moment he is fed up - and rightfully so - by the complete mishandling of his application by Thai Elite Visa.

Thai Elite Visa did only tell him AFTER he already paid for the EliteVisa that he would need to show 800K seasoned for 2 months on his personal thai bank-account.

Apart from the fact that that is not required (he is in Thailand on the 1-year permission to stay his Non Imm O-A Visa provided him on entry and NOT on a 1-yearr extension of stay), it is not even possible for him anymore to have the 800K seasoned for 2 months as his permission to stay expires 18 June.

So being completely let down by Thai EliteVisa, he is presently looking for ways to simply apply for the 1-year extension of stay of his Non Imm O-A Visa.

The 2 month seasoned 800K in the bank is not possible anymore.  But if IO would accept his embassy-letter with evidence that his income meets the requirements, he would still be able to get the 1-year extension of stay before his 18 June permission to stay expires.  Alternatively if IO accepts 2 monthly-income transfers of +65K for the months May and June, that is also an option.

Obviously, if he can get the 1-year extension of his Non Imm O-A Visa, there is no need anymore for him getting the EliteVisa.  But it seems that some legal persuading will be required to get Thai Elite Visa to re-imburse the 500K he already paid them (and that was before they came up with the additional and impossible bogus-requirement that he needs 800K seasoned 2 months on his account in order to be granted the EliteVisa). 

3 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Hello,

I got my Non 0-A in 2018 in Brussels. Arrived in BBK in July 2018. In June 2019, I left Thailand for a short trip abroad and got at Suvarnabhumi a stamp "admitted until 18th June 2020" This gave me almost 2 years. I have a multi re-entry permit, valid until 18th June 2020.

Flying out of Thailand and coming back is impossible right now. 

Yes, so entering after 18 June there is no "other visa" in the way.  

I know the airports are closed now,  but before July 31?  That is how long you have, due to the covid-auto-extension.  If the airports are all still closed, another means of extensions would likely be provided.

Let's see, how things work out.

Not sure what they are trying to pull with this.  You don't need to show money to cancel an extension - only to apply for one.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2