Cyclist killed, 20 injured as tour bus overturns in north east

rooster59

Cyclist killed, 20 injured as tour bus overturns in north east

accid.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

A cyclist was killed and 20 passengers were injured as a tour bus overturned in Kalasin in Thailand's north east late last night. 

The accident happened in rainy conditions on Route 24 between KM markers 287 - 288 in Khukhan district.

Dead at the scene was 62 year old local Uan Jongharn who was riding a bicycle. 

The twenty injured were taken to Khukhan Hospital. 

Bus driver Warakhom Phimkaysorn, 43, said that the road surface was slippery and it was dark and he had no chance to avoid the cyclist who he said unexpectedly crossed in front of him causing him to lose control of his vehicle. 

Police are investigating. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-10

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, thequietman said:

It was at night and it was raining. I find this very hard to believe! ????

The old fart most likely (heck, very likely) to have no lights, no reflective gear and no idea. Hence ....... deed!

I would hazard a guess and say the old guy didn't cross in front of the bus. The bus driver just hit him.

Still, RIP old man. ????

yup,

maybe add . "dark clothing" no helmet, no rearview mirror to help alert him of an approaching vehicle but most importantly failed to choose the correct amulets to wear

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thequietman said:

It was at night and it was raining. I find this very hard to believe! ????

The old fart most likely (heck, very likely) to have no lights, no reflective gear and no idea. Hence ....... deed!

I would hazard a guess and say the old guy didn't cross in front of the bus. The bus driver just hit him.

Still, RIP old man. ????

Seen it countless times as I sometimes go for a ride at night. Old farts like me, no lights, ambling along in the middle of their left lane, maybe be doing it for yonks so "no bugger is gunna hit me tonight"

Well not completely like me as I have a white shirt on and 2 front and 2 back lights illuminating.

night bike2.jpg

57 minutes ago, atyclb said:

maybe add . "dark clothing" no helmet, no rearview mirror to help alert him of an approaching vehicle but most importantly failed to choose the correct amulets to wear

You do realise the "Old fart" was riding a bicycle... ?

1 hour ago, marquis22 said:

Seen it countless times as I sometimes go for a ride at night. Old farts like me, no lights, ambling along in the middle of their left lane, maybe be doing it for yonks so "no bugger is gunna hit me tonight"

Well not completely like me as I have a white shirt on and 2 front and 2 back lights illuminating.

night bike2.jpg

Is that a Halo over your head?  ????

8 hours ago, thequietman said:

Fully agree. Had such close encounters myself.

Dark clothed, dark bicycle, unlit road.

One of the many reasons why I am afraid to drive on rural roads in the night.

Too easy to condemn the bus driver in this case.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

One of the many reasons why I am afraid to drive on rural roads in the night.

I'm not talking about any roads on an inter-city bus route, but if you can find a low traffic route, in an area which does not have any bars or late night drinking establishments, and have good illumination incl a helmet light for keeping dogs at bay, I am still of the opinion that late night cycling may be one of the safest times to ride in rural Thailand, simply because of the absence of motor vehicles. Late at night, very early in the morning, I can ride for 2+ hours and encounter only 1 or 2 vehicles. Not talking about any roads with cars whizzing by constantly. I agree that's insanity.

Edit: And you know what? Just checked the weather report, looks like no rain for the next few hours, I'm gonna go for a ride right now. Later.

Edited by Gecko123

1 hour ago, Adventra20 said:

<deleted>, doesn’t anybody in Thailand know how to drive a goddam bus!!

Yes I do, but I'm not allowed to, and nobody wants me.

Ditto trucks, tanks, boats, aeroplanes various, fork lifts, golf buggies, chain saws, lathes, computers various, coffee machines, angle grinders, welders, ...........

But I can't play bridge.

17 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Yes I do, but I'm not allowed to, and nobody wants me.

Ditto trucks, tanks, boats, aeroplanes various, fork lifts, golf buggies, chain saws, lathes, computers various, coffee machines, angle grinders, welders, ...........

But I can't play bridge.

can you play darts then?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Pilotman said:

riding in the daytime is dangerous enough, but excuse the bluntness, but riding at night, even with lights and a white shirt, in Thailand, is madness. 

True, so I ride along a wide road, with plenty of room to get off the sealed and very light traffic.

I have had more near misses during the daylight hours.