Australian drivers licence about to expire

OzMan

My Australian drivers licence is about to expire and I have been asked to visit a VicRoads office in Melbourne to get my photo taken. Unfortunately I do not plan to return to Australia within the next few months. Can I exchange my Australian drivers licence for a Thai licence as I do not want to be without a drivers licence? When I return to Melbourne after Christmas I can renew my Australian licence at that time and swap my Thai licence.

The official rules say that you need an international driving permit (based on the 1949 treaty) to convert your license, if you have this it should be possible at your local DLT, you should ask them what exactly is required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Why do not you renew your Oz DL on line and have it mailed to you here

2 hours ago, OzMan said:

My Australian drivers licence is about to expire and I have been asked to visit a VicRoads office in Melbourne to get my photo taken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BestB said:

Why do not you renew your Oz DL on line and have it mailed to you here

you can renew it online however it depends on a certain criteria. 

If one meets all the conditions then yes they can apply online.

NSW or QLD licences cannot be mailed to an overseas address, it can only be within Australia.

Not sure about other states but I would expect it to be the same.

• Like 2

You can still renew your licence or permit if you’re interstate or overseas.

Call us on 13 11 71 within Australia or +61 3 8391 3216 from overseas, to find out how and if you need a new photo. If you need a new photo, complete a Photo Kit form and send it with a cheque to:

VicRoads Photokits
Locked Bag 7000
KEW VIC 3101

If your licence or permit has expired more than six months and less than five years, you can still follow the steps above to complete your renewal.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I see, you couldn't find the law which says what you claimed it says.

Then please stop spreading misinformation

The Driving in Thailand information was originally posted on the Royal Thai Embassy website in London. Since they have updated their website the individual information has been replaced by the link I posted.

I haven't looked for the specific law on line. That phone number is for the Department of Land Transport in Thailand. If anybody wants to check they can contact the Official Department that really know the answer.

That's much more reliable just reading a reply from somebody on TV who, from his comment, has obviously never checked.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

no written or driving test.  just the eyesight and reaction test, sit through a short video. 

Watching the guy before me take the reaction test was hilarious. He was blind drunk!

He would miss the cues, laugh like hell, and the examiners would join in the laughter. After about 10 minutes, with no success, they checked him off and sent him for the next test.

Edited by Curt1591

27 minutes ago, overherebc said:

60 days on a tourist visa and 90 days on a Non Imm' visa in conjunction with an IDP if your licence is not in english.

NB.

An IDP is not a licence. It is a translation of your licence into various languages so in fact on it's own is useless, it has to be carried along with your original licence. The IDP may be valid for a year, but, can only be used for the term set by the country you are in.

Thailand didn't limit the time an IDP can be used, so an IDP can be used for up to a year (its maximum validity), a 60 or 90 day limit does not exist.

Also what you say regarding "[...] if your license is not in english" is wrong, there is no law which says so.

You think anything of what you said is correct? Quote the law which says so or stop giving people wrong information.

27 minutes ago, sumrit said:

The Driving in Thailand information was originally posted on the Royal Thai Embassy website in London. Since they have updated their website the individual information has been replaced by the link I posted.

Probably they understood that they were wrong, so they updated their website.

27 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I haven't looked for the specific law on line.

In the previous post you told us that this is the law. How do you know if it's the law if you never read the law?

I will help you out: http://www.highway.police.go.th/highway4-20-9999-update.pdf

Just quote the section which says there is a 90 day limit.

Hint: This doesn't exist.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

you can renew it online however it depends on a certain criteria. 

If one meets all the conditions then yes they can apply online.

NSW or QLD licences cannot be mailed to an overseas address, it can only be within Australia.

Not sure about other states but I would expect it to be the same.

Have renewed mine online 3  times already , NSW. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Thailand didn't limit the time an IDP can be used, so an IDP can be used for up to a year (its maximum validity), a 60 or 90 day limit does not exist.

Also what you say regarding "[...] if your license is not in english" is wrong, there is no law which says so.

You think anything of what you said is correct? Quote the law which says so or stop giving people wrong information.

In the previous post you told us that this is the law. How do you know if it's the law if you never read the law?

I will help you out: http://www.highway.police.go.th/highway4-20-9999-update.pdf

Just quote the section which says there is a 90 day limit.

Hint: This doesn't exist.

You translate it first.

• Like 1

Thai insurance companies ( most ) also require a thai licence to ensure full insurance cover. With a UK/Oz/USA etc licence and IDP you might possibly end up having only minimum cover.

It may depend on the 'status' of the other car driver who ran into the back of your car.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Have renewed mine online 3  times already , NSW. 

Interesting, but may depend on how old you are 

When i researched their web site i could not do this as i was required to go into a branch for the eye test. Also i could only get a 5 year Lic. due to this which is attached to age groups.

I may have also read you can't do back to back online applications

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Thai insurance companies ( most ) also require a thai licence to ensure full insurance cover. With a UK/Oz/USA etc licence and IDP you might possibly end up having only minimum cover.

It may depend on the 'status' of the other car driver who ran into the back of your car.

This does of course depend on the insurance company. I just got a first class insurance with Roojai, and was told that for them it is sufficient if i have a German driving license. (Germany doesn't even have an IDP treaty with Thailand, so according to law it's not possible to drive legally in Thailand with a German license, but a private insurance company can of course accept it)

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

It was stated in the Royal Thai Embassy website in London.

Are you saying the the Embassy was lying???

I answered you already:

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

An IDP is NOT a Driving Licence, it's simply a document that translates your Driving Licence into English. It's that translation that is valid for one year. It can only be used in conjunction with your actual DRIVING LICENCE. 

What does this have to do with what i wrote in the quote? I think most people here are aware of this.

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

The law refers on validity to the length of time the Thai Authorities allow somebody to legally use their FOREIGN DRIVING LICENCE in Thailand. You only need to carry an IDP for translation. 

You mean the law which you never read and which exists only in your imagination? Or can you quote it, to show that it's a real law?

11 minutes ago, sumrit said:

You show here it says you can drive for a year because the IDP is valid for a year. You can't for a minute using just an IDP. You can only use it to show it as an official copy of your driving licence. You must use your Driving Licence to drive in Thailand a limited period. Now you prove otherwise.

No, i didn't say "you can drive for a year because the IDP is valid for a year", i said "an IDP can be used for up to a year", of course in conjunction with a valid foreign driving license from the same country.

It looks like you have some problems to understand written text.

35 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Prove they lied on their website.

Why do you think they "lied"? They just published wrong information, which they removed by now. You can find a lot of wrong informations on embassy and cosulate websites.

Were you able to find the section in the law which says there is a 90 day limit yet, or do you finally agree that no such limit exists?

1 minute ago, sumrit said:

The 90 day limit does exist, you are the one that seems to have trouble believing the truth.

Actually i like to believe the truth, if you had any prove for it. I gave you a link to the whole law, if it would contain a limitation as you claim, you could easily point at the relevant section. But you don't do it, so it looks like such a limitation just doesn't exist.

6 minutes ago, sumrit said:

In response you've questioned their integrity.

I did never question their integrity, it looks like you have problems to understand written text, again.

6 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I DON'T CARE IN THE SLIGHTEST.

For somebody who doesn't care in the slightest you write quite a lot of nonsense.

Do me a favour and ignore some of advice above.  I've been in Thailand now for 3 years.  My licence from my home country (South Africa) was about to expire 2 months ago and I decided to convert my licence to a Thai driver's licence.  I went to the nearest DLT office for me which was Chatuchak. 

The documents I had in hand were copies of the front and back of my licence (certified by my embassy), copies of my passport (photo page, visa and departure card)  residence letter from my embassy and a medical certificate which can easily be acquired at your local hospital or clinic.  

When I went to the DLT office all they did was look throug my documents to confirm all was in order.  I was then asked to go for the vision and reflex tests (as easy as anything) after which you are directed to watch a 45min video presentation(boring, mundane and just rubbish).  When that was over you had to head back to the original office that checked your docs to go and take out your digital photograph which is printed on your brand spanking new Thai Driver's licence.  

Takes less than two hours, cost 210 baht.  It is a 2 year temporary licence which will be converted to a 5 year licence after the 2 years.