At least one dead, 10 injured as building under construction collapses in Phuket

webfact

At least one dead, 10 injured as building under construction collapses in Phuket

By The Phuket News

1565517155_1-org.jpg

A building under construction collapsed in Rawai earlier today (Aug 11). Photo: Eakkaphop Thongtub

PHUKET: At least one person died and 10 more were injured when a building under construction collapsed in Rawai earlier today (Aug 11).

At about 2.00pm today (Aug 11), police and rescue workers were notified of an incident at a construction site in Rawai where a new condominium project was being erected.

According to the message Chalong Police received, a building under construction collapsed burying several workers under metal structures.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/at-least-one-dead-10-injured-as-building-under-construction-collapses-in-phuket-72476.php#fGVEZrsXJgTIA7qk.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-08-12

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three storey construction site collapses in Rawai, Phuket – 8 injured, 2 missing

By The Thaiger

Construction.jpg

PHOTOS: เสียงประชาชน คนภูเก็ต Phuket People’s Voice

A three storey building has collapsed in Rawai around 3pm this afternoon. The construction site is on Wiset Road in Rawai – near Rawai Municipality Office heading towards Nai Harn Beach Park.

At least eight people have already been taken to Chalong Hospital whilst others are believed to be trapped under the wreckage as rescue workers battle to find survivors. Two people are now listed as officially missing.

Emergency responders rushed to the site to keep onlookers away as well as providing first aid to the injured and sent at least eight injured workers to hospital.

Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos was quickly onsite to assist with the emergency services and oversee the situation.

VIDEO: Phuket Hotnews

67871543_2666664183366589_57286662273839

67850248_1214876305360608_14221911978745

67746852_1214895192025386_23486616770812

67841286_1214895058692066_26895164535597

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/three-storey-construction-site-collapses-in-rawai-phuket-8-injured-2-missing

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-08-12

We deforest all the way without worrying or even worrying about what will happen in the next storm.

When we see where these buildings are built we can suspect that those already built will suffer the same fate during the next storm.
the hill will be detached from its base and bring with it the buildings already built

Have a look at the photos a drone did

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/scaffolding-collapse-at-vip-mercury-condominium-in-rawai-phuket-kills-1

My first thought when I read the headline was of the bamboo scaffolding that I've seen lots of in Thailand. But viewing the pictures, I see steel scaffolding is being used.

(I really do prefer single story accommodation) 

15 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

We deforest all the way without worrying or even worrying about what will happen in the next storm.

When we see where these buildings are built we can suspect that those already built will suffer the same fate during the next storm.
the hill will be detached from its base and bring with it the buildings already built

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/scaffolding-collapse-at-vip-mercury-condominium-in-rawai-phuket-kills-1

Good observation, so true. 

14 minutes ago, neeray said:

My first thought when I read the headline was of the bamboo scaffolding that I've seen lots of in Thailand. But viewing the pictures, I see steel scaffolding is being used.

(I really do prefer single story accommodation) 

Bamboo scaffolding never collapse;

I remember in Ho Chi Minh TP , year 1996,  the first building they built in the No. 1 neighborhood, very close to the big market Ben Than, the scaffolding were all bamboo to incredible heights

1 hour ago, bristolgeoff said:

Never got completed,bet many are worried  where they live now.typical Thailand build quality 

That's why I bought an older build condo, if it hadn't fallen down in ten years it might stay up for another ten?

3 minutes ago, rocketdave said:

That's why I bought an older build condo, if it hadn't fallen down in ten years it might stay up for another ten?

A lot of bangkok condos look like this, i love them! Cool and sturdy. They didn't skimp on the concrete did they?

german bunker.jpg

49 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I don't know much about construction but those pics do not look safe at all. Looks like just waiting for the right storm to come through erode the ground and destroy all the buildings with it. 

2 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Never got completed,bet many are worried  where they live now.typical Thailand build quality 

Very stupid comment 

thais are good at building  

newly poured concrete I suppose the scaffolding was weak need to wait for the investigation to be completed 

all infrastructure construction i see here is fast efficient and quality 

accidents happen too

Sad, sicko members posting as usual.....it must be Monday.

2 or potentially 3 people have lost their lives and the best they can do is unfunny smartarse comments. If a farang was involved we would have 14 pages of really genuine , heartfelt RIP's by now.

I wonder how many actually live in Thailand? 5%?

So many new building being built in Thailand especially Bangkok.

I hope this isn't a precursor....

The building being built lately are put together so quickly and cheaply and made to look good only from the outside.

It's all about profit and how to make something as cheap as possible with maximum returns....at the expense of lives.

Image result for cheaply madebuilding

It was just a few weeka ago a similar collapse in Cambodia (Sihanookville) occured....... 

It was reported that the company building it was Chinese........ (Always saving money)........

I can't help wonder of this was more Chinese people in charge............ 

I can remember also a tall building in Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima) all upper floors collapsing on top of the ground floor...... everybody on the ground floor died........ Later it was learned that the building was only issued a permit  for 3 (or 4) levels but later was added to 7 floors illegally....

I can't forget that incident when I see this and the Canbodian collapse........

1 hour ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Looks like scaffolding used was not fit for the purpose, might be ok for small beams, but more generally used for workers on the outside of the building.

That is not scaffolding or even support jacks it is what we would call in the west a Masons Frame  they are used for climbing on to access the upper floors, they are not strong enough to support steel rebars and form work which what it looks like they were being used for.   

Very sad news indeed, my thoughts are with the families of any deceased, the injured, and any poor souls lying trapped beneath the rubble.

Construction sites are dangerous places everywhere in the world. I just hope this incident was not because safety regulations were compromised for financial reasons.

11 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Multiple off topic troll and lame attempts at humor have been removed, people have been killed and probably maimed for life, have some respect please

I’m very pleased to see that you have removed some nasty spiteful comments on this tragedy; I hope you will issue some warnings to those showing such a lack of empathy; most posters on here are appalled by such a lack of common decency, masquerading as humour …. thanks

Archived