Pattaya jam packed for the holidays, reports Thai media

webfact

I believe this is fake news. 

I arrived in Pattaya on 11 Aug, and I haven't seen a large amount of tourists anywhere in Pattaya and Jomtien. 

In fact, as my taxi drove my gf, her sister and me from Beach Road to Jomtien on the 12th, the traffic was light, not many people were walking around in either location between 14:00 & 18:00.  

Plus, later at about 19:00 my gf and I went bar hopping on 2nd Road, not many tourists there because we were walking on the sidewalk and not bumping into people. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pah!

Thai tourists only ever come in on Thai owned transport, shop at Thai owned businesses, eat at Thai owned restaurants, only pay normal entrance price at tourist attractions and stay in Thai owned hotels. They contribute nothing to the Thai econ.......

Ooohhh!! Sorry. Wrong nationality.

Diatribe is much the same though.

6 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Good to see in the photo the police cracking down on motor cyclists riding on the pavement. I don't think.????

Seriously. 

They get their daily activities rosters.

And apart from running one down,  they stick to the revenue income streams indicated.

They get 5% of all tickets processed. 

So i am informed. 

Means they don't have to think too much about their jobs..lol.

14 hours ago, johng said:

I went to Harbor Mall on Sunday  and while not "packed"  it was doing  ok  they have expanded upon the "kids activities"

lots of Thai families there.

But most week days it is completely empty. It is a great Mall to take kids to though, lots of things for them. Also you don't have to drive very far, ie not all the way into Pattaya, just the slow Sukhumvit/Klang junction and then the 'completely block Klang' right turn! If you are North of town try the one in Laem Chabang. 

31 minutes ago, stuhan said:

Is this a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Pattaya is like a ghost town,nobody there when i was visiting.Another lie about tourist numbers,sure thai's will go there there thai.

The OP is about last weekend which was a holiday (Queen Mother's Birthday) and a long weekend. There most certainly was a lot of traffic coming into town down the motorway, and turning off Sukhumvit into town. 

It was quiet around Buakhao, and I am sure most visitors were locals from around the region and Bangkok. 

23 hours ago, webfact said:

they said, where lane restrictions were in operation due to cable burying work currently being undertaken by the electric authority. 

Really? Thry are finally getting inyo the 20th century?

Great news! Too bad about the traffic.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The OP is about last weekend which was a holiday (Queen Mother's Birthday) and a long weekend. There most certainly was a lot of traffic coming into town down the motorway, and turning off Sukhumvit into town. 

It was quiet around Buakhao, and I am sure most visitors were locals from around the region and Bangkok. 

The main reason for the traffic jam on Sukhumvit Rd was work burying cables. There were less lanes.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:10 AM, mercman24 said:

Thais descend here at JOMTIEN BEACH saturdays and Sundays, just a normal thing like in the UK taking the family to the seaside for the day, all the ones i see bring their own food even cooking on the back of a pick up, they wont be buying expensive beach food  and sit on the pavement, eating, drinking, getting pissed until the early hour then drive home. not see hardly any tourists, rest of the week , forget it. i love it ha ha

Cheap Charlies ????

The same replies appear every year at this time when just how busy Pattaya is threads pop up!

Wow, really - Pattaya has few tourists in the height of the low season, bit like last year then & the year before & the year before.

Bangkok holidays - always busy with Thai's - no different to any other time :sleepy:

????

is love of an isolated beach not in thai culture, or is that only a foreigners dream?
In my experience no they don't like a quiet beach without others around...not sanook..no one to gawk at and no food !
To hear just the sounds of wind, waves and birdsong....boring !!...lets turn up the phone speaker to distortion levels and watch the latest soap operas...or bring a truck with 2 x 1000 watt amplifier to wake the dead and jellify internal organs. [emoji30]

23 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Landing a  man on the  moon, inventing the jet engine, discovering penicillin......but creating a  shopping mall..........no, theyre  not

retail wise. 555  I'm not British but using it like I imagine Brits do. 555

Just trying to make the point vs the normal rap against Thais and their ability to do things.

19 hours ago, Number 6 said:

It's the stupidest concept for a mall I've ever been in. It sort of gets a pass in BKK being so international but putting this theme in the sticks like Pattaya is just a bad joke. Like a suburb of Washington DC or Florida.

Excuse me...is there a B2B here? Yes, mister is on *Oceania* floor.

What FLOOR might that be miss?

Floor 3 sir...

If you have been there you would see the patronage is very big. Theme, low cost food, nice amenities, photo ops etc

All the ideas they've put together is doing very well for them.

Whether it is to your taste or mine, the concept works.

3 minutes ago, elgenon said:

If you have been there you would see the patronage is very big. Theme, low cost food, nice amenities, photo ops etc

One problem for T21 in Pattaya is that Central Festival is quite popular. Even Harbor is stealing som customers. My guess is that some of the shops at T21 will soon have problems. Went there with a couple of friends a few months ago, and it wasn't packed with people.

7 hours ago, stuhan said:

Is this a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Pattaya is like a ghost town,nobody there when i was visiting.Another lie about tourist numbers,sure thai's will go there there thai.

It's actually quite nice sometimes when not so much people here. There must be some people remembering 2008-2009, when the red and yellow shirts fought in BKK.

Pattaya was really DESERTED that time. Bar Beers closed,bargirls called home to mom for money. It's supposed to be the other way around.

2 hours ago, CGW said:

The same replies appear every year at this time when just how busy Pattaya is threads pop up!

Wow, really - Pattaya has few tourists in the height of the low season, bit like last year then & the year before & the year before.

Bangkok holidays - always busy with Thai's - no different to any other time :sleepy:

????

2017 and back wasn't so bad in Pattaya and Jomtien. I have been living here for years,but from 2018 up to now with crappy exchange rates and a too strong baht, it's been very quiet. 

Just now, Max69xl said:

There were a lot of traffic on Sukhumvit Road when people went home after the holiday. But it felt even more because of the closed lanes.

I sure saw it (traffic), but I always enter Suk at Klang, and off at Soi Siam CC. Can't recall seeing lane closures on that little bit. 

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

It fits more in Pattaya despite Bangkok being the first by many years. The silly theme is ok because Pattaya is a silly theme. My comments were pretty much reserved for the main shopping mall at the apex of mass transit routes BKK.

I really hate malls in general honestly. Just good for banking and a few restaurants. T21 Bangkok does have an awesome food court though.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:08 AM, keith101 said:

By looking at the photos I would say about 90% + Thai tourists and very few foreigners .

Let's see some photos taken at the same time at the same locations next weekend!

On 8/14/2019 at 12:30 AM, Max69xl said:

One problem for T21 in Pattaya is that Central Festival is quite popular. Even Harbor is stealing som customers. My guess is that some of the shops at T21 will soon have problems. Went there with a couple of friends a few months ago, and it wasn't packed with people.

I was there a few weeks ago with some Thai friends who were visiting from Bangkok and it was teeming with people. People all over the dang place. Much busier than Festival. Festival's food court is a joke too. Very poorly done. T21 takes good care of their customers. Provides very good photo ops, which Thais love.

When they open in CM watch those other malls be even more of ghost towns. The Thais behind T21 have a very good concept. Yes, Thais doing a great job. I am impressed even though I don't know how to navigate the toilet seats. 5555

On 8/14/2019 at 4:58 AM, Number 6 said:

It fits more in Pattaya despite Bangkok being the first by many years. The silly theme is ok because Pattaya is a silly theme. My comments were pretty much reserved for the main shopping mall at the apex of mass transit routes BKK.

I really hate malls in general honestly. Just good for banking and a few restaurants. T21 Bangkok does have an awesome food court though.

And toilet seats!

7 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I was there a few weeks ago with some Thai friends who were visiting from Bangkok and it was teeming with people. People all over the dang place. Much busier than Festival. Festival's food court is a joke too. Very poorly done. T21 takes good care of their customers. Provides very good photo ops, which Thais love.

When they open in CM watch those other malls be even more of ghost towns. The Thais behind T21 have a very good concept. Yes, Thais doing a great job. I am impressed even though I don't know how to navigate the toilet seats. 5555

Isn't the Festival's food court being upgraded now? 

T21 is not my scene, nor the difficulty now of getting there, in fact anywhere near it at weekends. Yes it seems popular, again with local people (at the weekend or holidays), but the feedback I got was the shops aren't doing very good business and most of the people there are looky-loos taking Facebook pictures. I have tried the cinema, a restaurant and the food court. Pretty good although restaurant on the expensive side. 

Surely Pattaya has sufficient Malls now.

Seams like only three places I go to nowadays. Big C and HomePro because I had to. T21 because I love to. My complain is there are too many ice cream vendors in T21, the food court, DQ, KFC, Haagen Dazs..You can gain weight from mall walking.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Isn't the Festival's food court being upgraded now? 

T21 is not my scene, nor the difficulty now of getting there, in fact anywhere near it at weekends. Yes it seems popular, again with local people (at the weekend or holidays), but the feedback I got was the shops aren't doing very good business and most of the people there are looky-loos taking Facebook pictures. I have tried the cinema, a restaurant and the food court. Pretty good although restaurant on the expensive side. 

Surely Pattaya has sufficient Malls now.

It was moved not improved. There are fewer options now. My beloved spaghetti w green curry chicken seems to have been a casualty. Very expensive relative to T21.

I am not a mall rat and like to eat at mom and pops. But I read on the time on this site how poor Thais are at business. These owners have a good plan.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:08 AM, keith101 said:

By looking at the photos I would say about 90% + Thai tourists and very few foreigners .

Indeed. Pattaya was a destination for Thais years ago. My first visit to Pattaya was with Thais, 30 years ago. Nowadays Pattaya is getting more and more Bangkokians since the fun police made Bangkok as much fun as a Saudi town. When I visit Issan the people talk about visiting Pattaya not Bangkok.

Archived