TM30: “It’s really not that hard”, immigration official tells foreigners

webfact

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

No I don't understand. My wife always books the hotel and checks us in. Often, I'm not asked for my passport. If I am asked I produce my pink Thai ID card which usually suffices.

Which has your passport number on it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If they wont scrap it,which i doubt they will,try to get them to modify it to if you stay away from your home address more than 31 days,then you must report. I would find that to be  an acceptable solution.

21 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

No I don't understand. My wife always books the hotel and checks us in. Often, I'm not asked for my passport. If I am asked I produce my pink Thai ID card which usually suffices.

It doesn't matter who checks you in. The law says that every hotel and guesthouse has to report foreigners,unless you are a permanent resident. If the don't ask for your passport,they are breaking the law,and maybe they are not even licensed. Your pink ID-card means nothing according to the law,it only says that you have a yellow house book. I don't understand why you and so many others don't understand this. I don't care if the place where I'm staying doesn't submit the TM30, I'm just telling you that they have to do it.  Immigration offices in Thailand have being ordered from BKK to enforce the law. Some offices are showing leniency,though.

Yes, it does. Tells them where all the law abiding foreigners are every given day. Criminals will ignore or falsify. Great way to OUT the baddies.

Doing tm30 not difficult he says.

Well not doing it is much easier considering the tm30 does absolutely nothing of use.
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 3:17 AM, webfact said:

Complying with the controversial TM30 requirement is “really not that hard”, a senior immigration officer said on Thursday.

Its not that hard if you only stay in hotels while staying in Thailand. That's the point and the objective as to why they won't make it easier for foreigners. Stay anywhere else and you got problems when moving around. So it's a conspiracy by the hotels association and immigration. It's that simple. If there's another reason that didn't Involve money changing hands I'd be very surprised 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2019 at 6:53 AM, Salerno said:

What tourists on a 10 day holiday spend any time interacting with immigration other than at the airport/border crossing?

There is a difference between a "tourist" and a "tourist visa"

A guy that lives in Bangkok and travels to Buriram over the long weekend is still a tourist even though he may be on a Non B visa

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adwbkk said:

There is a difference between a "tourist" and a "tourist visa"

A guy that lives in Bangkok and travels to Buriram over the long weekend is still a tourist even though he may be on a Non B visa

Easiest to use the terms in the immigration act, temporary stay and permanent residence (Chapters 4 & 5, respectively).

Tourist, retirement, marriage, work, etc. visas and extensions are just categories made up by the MFA and Immigration to match the immigration act. In reality the hard difference is the temporary or permanent stay permit. 

Serious question. I leave the country and then come back and I do not file a TM30. Then sometime later, not more than 90 days... I leave the country again. This time when I come back, I do file the TM30 properly within 24 hours of returning. Am I going to be questioned or fined? 

Edited by Hockeybik

Serious question. I leave the country and then come back and I do not file a TM30. Then sometime later, not more than 90 days... I leave the country again. This time when I come back, I do file the TM30 properly within 24 hours of returning. Am I going to be questioned or fined? 
I doubt it. Much depends on your local Immigration office.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/18/2019 at 2:08 PM, Max69xl said:

I don't care if the place where I'm staying doesn't submit the TM30, I'm just telling you that they have to do it.  Immigration offices in Thailand have being ordered from BKK to enforce the law. Some offices are showing leniency,though.

The system is unworkable, and at CW especially it's choking to death on it's own red tape. Perhaps the best way to put TM30 enforcement out of it's misery is widespread non-compliance, since sooner or later they're going to have to face the truth anyway that they're unable to get people to cooperate with it. Hotels and landlords don't like it, expats and tourists don't like it, immigration staff don't like it, and the growing media coverage of the whole thing has been universally damning as well. 

On 8/20/2019 at 6:14 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

I doubt it. Much depends on your local Immigration office.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And another serious question....

This has already been alluded to in this thread, so lets say I'm staying in a hotel / guesthouse or at a friend's house in Pattaya. Either way, they DO report my arrival/ do a TM30.

I go up country for a few days, keeping my room in Pattaya with most of my clothes and non-valuable possessions stashed.

I stay at another friend's house up country.

I return to Pattaya to the same room as before

IN THEORY, my friend up country should do a TM30, but he doesn't bother - theoretically all the time i'm still registered as staying in Pattaya

Whilst this technically might go against the rules, Immigration just aren't going to know...are they?

Edited by VBF

9 hours ago, lkv said:

As I have mentioned in another thread, you've accidentally lost your TM6 (departure card).

How is that a relevant reply to my comment? I don't understand.????