Thewet Pier In Thai

traveller76

i stayed in thewet the first time i came to thailand and in my first couple of days I saw it spelt many different ways. i couldnt get the taxi drivers to understand where i wanted to go. I had , taewez, thewet, thewes, tewet and i think there were a few other variations.

i got best results by saying "tay" + "wait" , where "tay" rhymes with day and "wait" is how you would pronounce it in english.

i got best results by saying "tay" + "wait" , where "tay" rhymes with day and "wait" is how you would pronounce it in english.

That's actually the way I would write it for myself, as I am Scottish.

Most English people say te a different way than I.

I used to say เ like เเ , and vice versa until I realised.

That's actually the way I would write it for myself, as I am Scottish.

Most English people say te a different way than I.

I used to say เ like เเ , and vice versa until I realised.

yes, that's a good point about transliterations of vowel sounds. i often see, for example, 'ruk' or 'rak' for love. a kiwi, say, might read the first correctly, but for me it would sound way off and i'd be nearer with the second.

i stayed in thewet the first time i came to thailand and in my first couple of days I saw it spelt many different ways. i couldnt get the taxi drivers to understand where i wanted to go. I had , taewez, thewet, thewes, tewet and i think there were a few other variations.

Excellent description Bangsue and is the way I would pronounce it also even though I didnt describe it half as well as you ... I knew there was a reason I'm not a language teacher ... :D:o

๋So to make the point again - don't make the vowel sound a glide.

In many English accents 'ay' is not a solid vowel, but starts at one vowel sound and strives towards another. (In the stronger Cockney, Strine and Kiwi accents, the pronunciation of 'ay' sounds more like Thai ไ ใ)

There are no such vowel glide sounds in Thai (the Thai diphthongs เอีอ เอือ อัว are different because they describe more complete sound transitions, not implied ones)... so to make your speech clearer, find where in your 'ay' glide the Thai sound is, and keep it steady there.

Could be a case of different usage of the terms in different varieties of English? If you mean 'pier' such as the long promenades in some English seaside towns, then yes, สะพาน /saphaan/ is correct (although some qualifying information might be required, like สะพานที่ยื่นไปในทะเล /saphaan thii yuen pai nai thalee/).

ท่าเรือ /thaa ruea/ = landing; pier; port (used for the riverboat landings in the Chaophraya, for the island ferry piers (and by extension, ports) on Koh Chang, Koh Phangan, etc.)

Could be a case of different usage of the terms in different varieties of English? If you mean 'pier' such as the long promenades in some English seaside towns, then yes, สะพาน is correct (although some qualifying information might be required, like สะพานที่ยื่นไปในทะเล).

ท่าเรือ = landing; pier; port (used for the riverboat landings in the Chaophraya, for the island ferry piers (and by extension, ports) on Koh Chang, Koh Phangan, etc.)

MS can you do a phonetic version for me.

Cheers

For the record, I believe the correct spelling is เทเวศร์, and you might also consider ท่าน้ำเทเวศร์, if it's the kind of pier that's not expressly for boat docking.. dunno though.