Jimmy Kimmel Live! fined $395,000 for mimicking presidential alert

snoop1130

Jimmy Kimmel Live! fined $395,000 for mimicking presidential alert

By Ellie Harrison

5632.jpg

Jimmy Kimmel Live! has been fined $395,000 (£326,000) for mimicking a presidential alert in a skit, a US regulator has announced.

The ABC talk show played out a replica of the emergency alert tone at three different points during the programme, in a joke mocking the warning system on the same day it was officially tested in the US.

During the trial in October last year, more than 200 million American mobile phones received test notifications, which are designed to warn of major threats such as missile attacks, natural disasters and terrorism.

President Donald Trump would be in charge of ordering the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema) to activate the warning system, in case of any of the above.

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/jimmy-kimmel-live-fined-why-presidential-alert-joke-trump-a9061761.html

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds like a politically motivated overreaction.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No, it is not. 

It was a violation of Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations that have been in place for a long time. 

The same rules and regulations that applies to all broadcasters, both radio and TV.  

Those rules and regulations were in place even before obama was president.  

Edited by radiochaser
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

No, it is not. 

It was a violation of Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations that have been in place for a long time.  Even before obama was president.  

You're being naïve. There are many reports that government agencies have been under more control from "trump" loyalists. Yes, they are supposed to be neutral and objective but that doesn't mean they always are. Because Kimmel has been so consistently critical of "trump" I find this harsh enforcement suspicious. No I can't prove it is politically motivated and you can't prove that it isn't. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, daoyai said:

Good to see the article called it a talk show, they like to think they are "comedy" but not funny, justDemocrat mouth piece and never funny.

I don't really watch that show but have seen many clips and they are VERY FUNNY. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

You're being naïve. There are many reports that government agencies have been under more control from "trump" loyalists. Yes, they are supposed to be neutral and objective but that doesn't mean they always are. Because Kimmel has been so consistently critical of "trump" I find this harsh enforcement suspicious. No I can't prove it is politically motivated and you can't prove that it isn't. 

No.  I am not being naive.  I used to work for the Federal Communications Commission.  

This is not the first time that such a fine has been issued .

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, radiochaser said:

No.  I am not being naive.  I used to work for the Federal Communications Commission.  

This is not the first time that such a fine has been issued .

OK. That's interesting. How MUCH were the previous fines? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK. That's interesting. How MUCH were the previous fines? 

I don't remember.  It has been almost a decade since I retired.  Probably ranged from the tens of thousands up to the hundreds of thousands.  

The issuing bureau is (or was, it may have changed names now) the Media Bureau.  

I worked in the Enforcement Bureau and had other job duties, usually not related to media broadcasts.  Except, when I had to watch children's programming and determine how long the commercials were!

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

No, it is not. 

It was a violation of Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations that have been in place for a long time. 

The same rules and regulations that applies to all broadcasters, both radio and TV.  

Those rules and regulations were in place even before obama was president.  

Rules don't apply for the opposition

16 hours ago, radiochaser said:

I never had any problem with republicans  when I worked at republican events enforcing FCC rules, regulations and communications law, as they applied to radio communications issues.  

Some democrat politicians and DNC employees had problems accepting the fact that they had to comply with FCC rules, regulations and communications laws, when I worked at democrat events.  

During one convention to choose a presidential candidate, (at which radio possession and use is highly restricted) I found people in possession of an unauthorized radio, with an open mike condition,  that was causing interference to Secret Service communications.   

Once I located the radio and advised that they were not authorized to have the radio, they responded with, do you know who we are?

After I explained the issues and problems I asked that they surrender the radio to me, I would give them a receipt for it, and they could pick the radio up at the end of their day when returning to their office or hotel.  They refused. 

When I went to speak with senior official about the unauthorized radio, I was told they claimed I had threatened to put them in handcuffs and throw put them in jail if they did not give me the radio.    

They were embarrassed to learn that I had recorded the open mike radio, with their and my conversations.  

There you have it; even politicians. Tnx.

9 hours ago, hugocnx said:

There you have it; even politicians. Tnx.

Well, at least they knew who I was, after I showed them my credentials and badge!

Even after they told me who they were.  I still did not know who they were. 

????

Edited by radiochaser
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2019 at 1:42 PM, Jingthing said:

do the crime you do the time:) unless you are roman polanski, harvey weinstein or sir epstein...

Edited by losworld

First off, Jimmy Kimmel is hilarious. If you don't think it is funny, check your pulse or stop being so manipulated by what your political compass is telling you. 

This is obviously another overreach. We have got a president who has nothing better to do but male calls, pull favors to settle scores that preschoolers would be ashamed of. 

Thank God he concentrates on this stuff instead of going into Iran though, that I will give him. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 4:59 AM, NanLaew said:

Conservatives are born without a funny bone.

Not true.  I have watched comedians that are so funny, I laugh until I cry. 

But most of the comedians and comedy shows that are on television today, I do not find to be funny.   

For example, Jerry Seinfeld.  My brother in law, among millions of people, thinks his show is hilarious.  Me, not so much.  

On 8/19/2019 at 7:50 PM, meand said:

First off, Jimmy Kimmel is hilarious. If you don't think it is funny, check your pulse or stop being so manipulated by what your political compass is telling you. 

This is obviously another overreach. We have got a president who has nothing better to do but male calls, pull favors to settle scores that preschoolers would be ashamed of. 

Thank God he concentrates on this stuff instead of going into Iran though, that I will give him. 

Kimmel is embarrassing,  sycophantic, mediocre,  non challenging,  puerile,  MOR sh!te.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:50 AM, meand said:

If mocking Trump is funny Kimmel is the most hilarious man that ever lived. What's he going to do when Trump is gone? Seems he has nothing else.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, radiochaser said:

Not true.  I have watched comedians that are so funny, I laugh until I cry. 

But most of the comedians and comedy shows that are on television today, I do not find to be funny.   

For example, Jerry Seinfeld.  My brother in law, among millions of people, thinks his show is hilarious.  Me, not so much.  

For actually funny comedians have to go back before PC. Comedy is always cruel to someone.

Monty Python was racist, Fawlty Towers was racist, Till death us do part was misogynist, One foot in the grave was ageist, Father Ted was anti religion, etc, but funny, as their popularity testified.

• Like 1