Vietnam eVisa for holiday & changing Thai Baht to Vietnamese Dong

Trying to work out exactly what's needed to holiday in Vietnam for a few days with a Western passport. Looks like I need to apply for an eVisa or a Visa on Arrival. Am I correct the best site to use is to apply straight for an eVisa for US$25 from here? https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt

Also if changing Thai Baht to Vietnamese Dong, is it best to do it in Vietnam to get the highest rates? Also any recommendations on where to change money in the city area (District 1)?

When you say "Western Passport" it really depends on your nationality, some travellers holding Western Passports can enter without a visa whilst others can apply for a visa in advance.

If you do need a visa, the link you've supplied is the official site for an evisa and doesn't require the stamping fee on arrival that those commercial companies with their letters for a visa on arrival.

As of January 2019, regular passport holders from 24 COUNTRIES below DO NOT need a tourist visa for Vietnam:

Countries

Passport Required

MAXIMUM STAY
Chile Yes less than 90 days
Cambodia Yes less than 30 days
Indonesia Yes less than 30 days
Kyrgyzstan Yes less than 30 days
Laos Yes less than 30 days
Malaysia Yes less than 30 days
Singapore Yes less than 30 days
Thailand Yes less than 30 days
Philippines Yes less than 21 days
Brunei Yes less than 14 days
Myanmar Yes less than 14 days
Belarus Yes less than 15 days
Denmark Yes less than 15 days
Finland Yes less than 15 days
France Yes less than 15 days
Germany Yes less than 15 days
Italy Yes less than 15 days
Japan Yes less than 15 days
Norway Yes less than 15 days
Russia Yes less than 15 days
South Korea Yes less than 15 days
Spain Yes less than 15 days
Sweden Yes less than 15 days
United Kingdom Yes less than 15 days

A confirmed return ticket is required to be shown to the check-in for the flight taking you TO Vietnam and also shown to the Immigration Officer on arrival. Last I heard, electronic versions on smartphones were being accepted in lieu of a printed itinerary.

I have used the letter of invitation and then visa on arrival, very vey easy and fast. In district 1 or anywhere in Vietnam, gold shops have given me the best rates, and I check everywhere.

gold shops located near bu vien , 1 block away down the street from Buffalo Saigon bar.

dont be afraid to compare rates at different shops and barter a little. Many banks on this street also. But gold shops were better.

some places would not accept Thai baht. 

Edited by Ron jeremy

13 hours ago, La Migra said:

You will also not have any problem changing Baht to VND, I did it at airport. Then at currency exchange in town. I think there are enough tourists going in and out.

I had a worse exchange doing the opposite in Bangkok.

BKK airport rates for VND are very expensive.

Better to carry US but make sure they are in v-good condition Older creased notes will be handed back to you.

Many banks are happy to exchange dollars at a much better rate than the airport.

Mid rate is around 23200, you will obviously get a little bit below that in Vietnam.

Edited by overherebc

On 8/19/2019 at 12:52 PM, NanLaew said:

As of January 2019, regular passport holders from 24 COUNTRIES below DO NOT need a tourist visa for Vietnam:

Countries

Passport Required

MAXIMUM STAY
Chile Yes less than 90 days
Cambodia Yes less than 30 days
Indonesia Yes less than 30 days
Kyrgyzstan Yes less than 30 days
Laos Yes less than 30 days
Malaysia Yes less than 30 days
Singapore Yes less than 30 days
Thailand Yes less than 30 days
Philippines Yes less than 21 days
Brunei Yes less than 14 days
Myanmar Yes less than 14 days
Belarus Yes less than 15 days
Denmark Yes less than 15 days
Finland Yes less than 15 days
France Yes less than 15 days
Germany Yes less than 15 days
Italy Yes less than 15 days
Japan Yes less than 15 days
Norway Yes less than 15 days
Russia Yes less than 15 days
South Korea Yes less than 15 days
Spain Yes less than 15 days
Sweden Yes less than 15 days
United Kingdom Yes less than 15 days

A confirmed return ticket is required to be shown to the check-in for the flight taking you TO Vietnam and also shown to the Immigration Officer on arrival. Last I heard, electronic versions on smartphones were being accepted in lieu of a printed itinerary.

Strangely ( 4 days ago ) was also asked for the boarding pass from the flight in.

I did see a couple of people showing mobile phone flight details and those being accepted.

i would really recommend anyone who can to open a transferwise borderless account. Whilst travelling in Vietnam even the best exchange rate i could find was nowhere near the bank rates (Thai Baht always the worst, Sterling and Dollar much stronger) but using transferwise i can do an instant transfer from my UK bank and then convert it at the official bank rate into most worldwide currencies and then go and withdraw from an ATM within that country immediately - and even with atm fees i was getting a much better deal than exchanging locally.

On 8/25/2019 at 10:20 PM, TroyC said:

i would really recommend anyone who can to open a transferwise borderless account. Whilst travelling in Vietnam even the best exchange rate i could find was nowhere near the bank rates (Thai Baht always the worst, Sterling and Dollar much stronger) but using transferwise i can do an instant transfer from my UK bank and then convert it at the official bank rate into most worldwide currencies and then go and withdraw from an ATM within that country immediately - and even with atm fees i was getting a much better deal than exchanging locally.

How did you do a TransferWise transfer then withdraw immediately from an ATM? Wouldn't you need a Vietnamese account to transfer to then use an ATM card of that account?

With the eVisa, when entering Ho Chi Minh airport do you need to physically print it out and provide the paper to them or can you just download it to your phone and show them the visa as an electronic copy on your phone?