Walking tracks in Khao Yai nat park

Kees1948

Tomorrow, I am driving a couple of farang guests from Pattaya to Phimai, via Khao Yai, over the 304 road. They are keen walkers and I amlooking for a place along that road where we could stop and do a one or two hour bushwalk, maybe to a waterfall or so. Just a nice scenic walk to break the journey and celebrate that we are in a national park.

can anyone suggest a good placeto stop and do such walk?

There are no walks in Khao Yai that match your description that I am aware of. I too searched a few years back. There are a few trails that exist, but these are barely visible paths that are too easy to deviate from without having a guide. Sadly, Thailand doesn't really have the types of walking tracks that you can find in many western countries, with well defined and maintained tracks with markers and huts etc. You can find shorter 15 - 30 minute walks at some popular tourist destinations, and walking to the top of some waterfalls like Erawan can be a 1 hour return trip, but that's about it.

The only way I have manged to get out into the forests in any regular and meaningful way is to join one of the multitude of organised trail run events that are held pretty much every week around the country.

I suggest a 3km (2 hour) trail from Pha Kluai Mai Campsite along the river to Haew Suwat Waterfall. This trail is easy and does not require a guide, but can get muddy. Watch out for crocodiles. Suggest the driver then hitchhikes back to the starting point to get the car and pick up the group. (Trail no. 4 in the map)

khao-yai-hiking-trekking-tr.png

46 minutes ago, Katipo said:

The only way I have manged to get out into the forests in any regular and meaningful way is to join one of the multitude of organised trail run events that are held pretty much every week around the country.

You speak of walking, not running ? if walking, do you have a site with events ?; I know some for running, but not for walking 

before Khao yai, there is a nice forest to walk or run, but it's near road 33, not 304 , name is "  Kao ito ", near Prachinburi  ( in Kabin buri , turn left to Prachinburi ) 

Another option would be Takhro Waterfall which is in the foothills of Khao Yai and has paths for walking. From Pattaya, turn off the 304 onto the 319 to Prachinburi and.. well I guess you have GPS or Google maps. From the waterfall back to the 304 to resume your journey north is about a 20 minute drive.

19 hours ago, Aforek said:

You speak of walking, not running ? if walking, do you have a site with events ?; I know some for running, but not for walking 

before Khao yai, there is a nice forest to walk or run, but it's near road 33, not 304 , name is "  Kao ito ", near Prachinburi  ( in Kabin buri , turn left to Prachinburi ) 

Actually, you could join the running events. Many offer shorter 5km and 10km distances where at least half the participants walk the entire thing, often stopping to relax and take photos along the way. Look on facebook for "wingnaidee". They list all the running (and walking) events around Thailand. Look for trail runs, and see if you can find anything that interests you.

As far as purely walking goes, I am sorry, I am afraid I don't know of any sites.

20 hours ago, 1DegreeN said:

Another option would be Takhro Waterfall which is in the foothills of Khao Yai and has paths for walking. From Pattaya, turn off the 304 onto the 319 to Prachinburi and.. well I guess you have GPS or Google maps. From the waterfall back to the 304 to resume your journey north is about a 20 minute drive.

I know it, it's not far from my home; it's in Khao yai park, and entrance is 40 bahts , even for foreigners 

Archived