China Southern - Flight Cancellation - Are their rules for compensation?

Thomas J

I recently booked a round trip ticket to the USA on China Southern.  It was a great connection.  BKK to WUH and then direct with only a two hour connection on the outbound and a 4 hour connection on the return.  I got a notice the other day that the final leg from WUH to BKK had been cancelled and they had rescheduled me THE FOLLOWING DAY 14 hours later.  In the USA airlines who by their actions create more than a 4 hour delay are required to compensate passengers.  Are there similar rules for China Southern or can they just say " too bad" you are going to have to spend a wonderful 14 hours in WUH?  

Look at alternatives on their website and call them with your preferred option. eg leaving USA a day later or whatever.  A computer will have just booked you on the next available flight to the cancelled one, whereas a human may be able to do more.

No idea on compensation rules.

4 hours ago, treetops said:

Look at alternatives on their website and call them with your preferred option. eg leaving USA a day later or whatever.  A computer will have just booked you on the next available flight to the cancelled one, whereas a human may be able to do more.

I did look at the website.  The only better alternative involves them putting me on Thai Lion for the final leg.  I called and they "refused".   

A year ago I was thinking of flying with them, just had a simple question about cancellation it didn't matter who I called even in Bangkok, there I think maybe they had someone contracted out of their home?  Every call every response the just told me to read the cancellation policy online?  After a day or so I just gave up!

Like the trade war going on they are going to do whatever they like I had to remember they are still a communist country.

12 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I did look at the website.  The only better alternative involves them putting me on Thai Lion for the final leg.  I called and they "refused".   

I assume the ticket was very 'affordable', you cannot expect them to put you on another carrier (and pay for that), rarely will an airline do that. "Manure" sometimes happens, not a big train smash? I have flown with them 12 times (11 absolutely excellent flights, although in business class), will also fly with them to the US soon, also via Wuhan, great to be able to do an overnight there and do some sightseeing the following morning. By the way, China Southern has a stunning rating on SKYTRAX (8 out of 10, very flew airlines achieve that!), and seem pleasant even in eco, amazingly! Nothing 'communist' about THAT airline (to respond to "thailand49")!

25 minutes ago, UTH001 said:

By the way, China Southern has a stunning rating on SKYTRAX (8 out of 10, very flew airlines achieve that!), and seem pleasant even in eco, amazingly! Nothing 'communist' about THAT airline (to respond to "thailand49")!

They must have changed a lot in the last 5 years then or perhaps that is for long and not short haul. I used to fly with them every month from Guangzhou to BKK (timings were good) and internally in China. Probably 30% of the flights were heavily delayed and on board service was at best adequate.

China Southern has a some good reviews meaning things went well.  But, they also have hundreds of horror stories.  People taking your reserved seats, lost luggage, uncaring flight attendants, delayed or canceled flights, no safety instructions before takeoff, transfers through a different airport in China, no English, it goes on an on.  Even with their good prices, I would never fly with them.  

3 hours ago, UTH001 said:

I assume the ticket was very 'affordable', you cannot expect them to put you on another carrier (and pay for that), rarely will an airline do that.

UTH now what sort of statement is that.  If I changed anything with the ticket I AM PENALIZED.  Why because I broke a contract.  In the USA if an airline for any reason other than those beyond their control such as weather and delays you for more than 4 hours they owe you compensation irrespective of the price of the ticket.  The same is true in Europe.  That is done to prevent airlines from jacking around their schedules when load factors are less than optimal.  There was one airlines in the USA that had two flights to Detroit and when they could, they just cancelled the earlier flight and put all the passengers on the later flight.  That sir is wrong and it has nothing to do with the price of the ticket.  

7 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

UTH now what sort of statement is that.  If I changed anything with the ticket I AM PENALIZED.  Why because I broke a contract.  In the USA if an airline for any reason other than those beyond their control such as weather and delays you for more than 4 hours they owe you compensation irrespective of the price of the ticket.  The same is true in Europe.  That is done to prevent airlines from jacking around their schedules when load factors are less than optimal.  There was one airlines in the USA that had two flights to Detroit and when they could, they just cancelled the earlier flight and put all the passengers on the later flight.  That sir is wrong and it has nothing to do with the price of the ticket.  

China Southern are neither American or European.

There is a fixed compensation fee and they will get you a hotel for the night gratis. It will likely be a transit hotel so it wont be the epitome of comfort and it wont be in the central metropolis. You'll be delivered to and collected from the hotel. Keep all your boarding cards.

21 minutes ago, Traubert said:

China Southern are neither American or European.

Traubert, yes I understand they are not American or European.  That is why I made the post to see if the policies of international travel via a Chinese Airline were "similar"  to those of the USA or Europe which recognize that airlines can for their own convenience use passengers like pawns without their being some sort of penalty to them. 

39 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

The world is not just the US and the EU. There is no compensation as generous as in Europe, not even in Thailand. Every airline penalises customers when trying to change flights (except when one purchases expensive tickets). And yes, it does not work the other way around, it sometimes irks me too. China Southern by the way sends you an email every time their schedule changes (even by 5 minutes!), offering you a free refund, if the alternative flight option offered is not 'suitable'. 

I am sure China Southern routes some passengers via Wuhan because their CAN schedules operate a good capacity. Like I said before, I will also fly via Wuhan, I get no free hotel for the bad connection (as far as I know). But what the heck, I fly from BKK to JFK and back for US$524, I am thrilled. By the way, flying from JFK to Florida and back cost me almost half of that fare...

Seems to me that there is a bit of CHINA BASHING going on here? Do try to get compensation out of Thai International, if one of their flights is cancelled, good luck! And by the way, EU compensation rules only apply for flights starting in the EU, as far as I know...

Due to my business, I'm a gold status flyer on CZ. From my experience in these situations (and there have been a few), you have three choices:

1. Cancel the final leg of your flight and look for an alternative. You will not receive much refund after they deduct their service fee, though

2. Take their offer for a transit hotel and the coach that brings you there and back.

3. Book your own hotel and take a taxi or Didi ride service yourself.

Even though they offer me a much better transit hotel than you are likely to get, I always take option three.

BTW, I live in Wuhan and I know their transit hotel here. You don't want to do that...

Taxi to the city is ~100 CNY one way, a good hotel ~600+ CNY

4 minutes ago, clonetom said:

BTW, I live in Wuhan and I know their transit hotel here. You don't want to do that...

Taxi to the city is ~100 CNY one way, a good hotel ~600+ CNY

Clonetom, 

Thank you.  I don't know why on Thai Visa people feel compelled to answer questions or respond to matters that are not even closely related to the original post.  I assume what you are saying is that in your experience China Southern will offer an overnight hotel and transportation but that it is lousy?  Do you have a suggestion?  In your experience can you even cancel the last leg of the return only?  China Southern waited about a month before cancelling this flight.  By that time, I have other flights in the USA booked, hotels, cars etc so without really making a mess of things I have no choice but to fly with them. 

Archived