Are you truly happy?

How happy are you living in Thailand?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Are you not the guy that was going to the Philippines as he was fed up with Thailand ?

And I am happy enough.. as soon as i get last problem sorted. 

was on my way to phils but had some visa trouble.

now just paid another 3 months upront on my rent in rawai.

may move to kata if still having problems with the factory next door.

Just now, kellersphuket said:

was on my way to phils but had some visa trouble.

now just paid another 3 months upront on my rent in rawai.

may move to kata if still having problems with the factory next door.

The factory things sucks.. been living in the same spot almost all my time in Thailand 13-14 years or so. One of those gated villages no problems at all except some parking problems as some people have more then one car. Not much of a bother for me just if I have guests with cars. 

What about the people who are happy to see that others are unhappy ?

There appears to be a group of posters who wont be happy until they are convinced everyone is unhappy and leaving.

It begs the question, if you were so unhappy and left, why are you hanging around in a Thailand forum?

I voted 'happy enough' 

I don't have any real reasons to be unhappy. But there will always be life's little niggles to contend with wherever you choose to live. The current exchange rates being a case in point. 

At the end of the day always remember that happiness comes from within. Stop searching and start living.

11 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

i'm interested to see which way this will swing.

people who are calling me negative etc, please dont take it to heart.

I mean no malice or ill will to anyone. 

hope eveyrone has a great weekend! 

do you want everyone to vote unhappy to make yourself feel better?

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What about the people who are happy to see that others are unhappy ?

There appears to be a group of posters who wont be happy until they are convinced everyone is unhappy and leaving.

It begs the question, if you were so unhappy and left, why are you hanging around in a Thailand forum?

It's called "moral support", constantly looking for others to support his view of negativity to justify and approve his decisions and attitude.

He needs psychiatric help and should seek medical assistance, there is a Samaritans link on this forum somewhere, maybe he can talk to them as a start.

His persistent negativity toward Thailand and dragging everyone down with him with his posts.

10 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

It's called "moral support", constantly looking for others to support his view of negativity to justify and approve his decisions and attitude.

He needs psychiatric help and should seek medical assistance, there is a Samaritans link on this forum somewhere, maybe he can talk to them as a start.

I think the correct term is sour grapes.

sour grapes
phrase of sour

1. used to refer to an attitude in which someone adopts a negative attitude to something because they cannot have it themselves.
    "government officials dismissed many of the complaints as sour grapes"

I am wonder how you are defining "happiness"

Are you referring to Kafka , Rand or Gandhi or some other philosophical definition?

Before  one could complete your "poll" one needs a definition, as the idea of "happiness" is purely subjective.

18 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

Bit of a harsh summary but if that is your feeling then so be it.

I can take any viewpoint.

The meaning behind this poll is to get a general consensus on happiness levels among the expat community in Thailand. Whichever way it swings is the way it really is!!! Happy or unhappy.

Thanks y'all!

33 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

i'm interested to see which way this will swing.

people who are calling me negative etc, please dont take it to heart.

I mean no malice or ill will to anyone. 

hope eveyrone has a great weekend! 

Does the real you look better than your avatar ?   I have just come up with a new word to describe a class of people that IMO you might belong to:   NEGTOMIST       an unhappy person that hopes things will get better by constant interaction on forum threads.  Known to create such threads as it is addicting.

Photos please

4 minutes ago, rumak said:

Does the real you look better than your avatar ?   I have just come up with a new word to describe a class of people that IMO you might belong to:   NEGTOMIST       an unhappy person that hopes things will get better by constant interaction on forum threads.  Known to create such threads as it is addicting.

Photos please

Happiness is a fleeting state of mind IMO.

There are a lot of fake happy's out there. people that think they are happy when really they arent because they are too weak to face reality.

BTW, at this moment right now I am happy. Just had my coffee, things could be worse!!!!

whenever I am asked this question by those back in the UK, my answer is that I am as happy in Thailand as I would be anywhere else, which is as good as I, or anyone else, can expect or hope for. What I do know for sure is that if I had stayed in the UK I would be miserable. 

I didn't vote because I no longer live in Thailand (now I live in Luang Prabang, north Laos).

But when I lived in Thailand, I was maybe 85% happy.  Now I'd say that it's closer to 100%.

Touch wood, but now I have zero problems with my work, my health, my living conditions, my food, my hobbies, my visa issues, my relationships.  Nada, sweet FA ????

Happiness as most people define it is overated,nobody can be (un)happy all of the time.

We have no reason to bitch at all!!!We do,but look around you and see how well off we are.

An awful lot of people do not have the time or the pc to post on a forum on a Saturday morning.

Everything is relative.

Try to be satisfied,it is a lot easier .

Have a nice day.

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I didn't vote because I no longer live in Thailand (now I live in Luang Prabang, north Laos).

But when I lived in Thailand, I was maybe 85% happy.  Now I'd say that it's closer to 100%.

Touch wood, but now I have zero problems with my work, my health, my living conditions, my food, my hobbies, my visa issues, my relationships.  Nada, sweet FA ????

I would think an old hand like you would have discarded the glasses that change the color of your life.

Enjoy it and i hope for your sake you will still feel the same way when thing go sour overthere,nowhere is ideal and heaven does not excist.

22 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Bit of a harsh summary but if that is your feeling then so be it.

I can take any viewpoint.

The meaning behind this poll is to get a general consensus on happiness levels among the expat community in Thailand. Whichever way it swings is the way it really is!!! Happy or unhappy.

Thanks y'all!

You misunderstand, it's not about being harsh, it's genuine concern because you have a problem but won't accept it.

Half way to solving z problem is realising and accepting you have one.

Somehow finding ways, like these posts, to get people to support your view is not helping you.

4 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

Somehow finding ways, like these posts, to get people to support your view is not helping you.

with all due respect I am not trying to do that.

I just want to see the general consensus among people that live here. I could't give two hoots if anyone agrees with my viewpoint or not. I just like statistics, always have.

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

I would think an old hand like you would have discarded the glasses that change the color of your life.

Enjoy it and i hope for your sake you will still feel the same way when thing go sour overthere,nowhere is ideal and heaven does not excist.

I had Lasik surgery yonks ago - I don't need glasses, rose-tinted or otherwise.

Note that I said that I was about 85% happy in Thailand.  My main gripe was concerning the interference of officials into my private life, (eg TM30 reporting).  I had a Thai Elite visa because that seemed to minimise their intrusive questions at immigration.

Now that I'm living in Laos, I have to do no 90 day reports, no TM30, no provision of bank balance documents, no photos of my lodgings, wife, clothes, house number, map etc.  So I can get on with my private life and that's why my happiness level has increased.

But no country is perfect of course.  However, from previous experience of living and working in Laos, most things that make me feel happy work OK for me here.

Archived