Jump to content

Bangkokians beware! Red light cameras start operation on Sunday


webfact

Recommended Posts

Bangkokians beware! Red light cameras start operation on Sunday

 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

 

Thai Rath reported that the system to catch red light jumpers in Bangkok will be up and running on Sunday September 1st.

 

There are 30 cameras at intersections throughout the capital. 

 

Pol Col Kitti Ariyanon said that everything was 100% ready and no matter if it was day or night the cameras would catch people in clarity. 

 

And the system is all linked up to mission control or "BK.02".

 

Pol Maj Gen Jirasan Kaewsaeng-ek will be there on Saturday for a ceremony to kick off the new era. 

 

Fines through the post according to Article 22 of the 1979 traffic law will be 1,000 baht. 

 

Source: Thai Rath

 

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-27
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, webfact said:

Fines through the post according to Article 22 of the 1979 traffic law will be 1,000 baht.

Should be 5000baht. Red light jumpers are killers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After photography the 1000's of jumpers - Red light that is, they'll then issue a fine. Ok, good.

 

But, they just won't have the manpower to collect all the fines.

 

Looks good, but in practice...well, y'know what'll happen.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Should be 5000baht. Red light jumpers are killers.

I agree but whether it is 1000 baht or 5000 baht the sad reality is that very few will actually pay. 

 

All perpetrators should have one week to cough up the fine or have their vehicles crushed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Where I am (Pattaya) there has been a rash of car owners spray painting their rear number plates so as to make them unreadable to the speed or red light cameras.  Probably the same in Bangkok.  The front plates are usually left alone for some reason.

 

So, if this catches on and plod does nothing about it, there won't be too many fines getting issued!

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, shady86 said:

What happens if the traffic lights turn to red and the car is stuck at middle of intersection because of traffic?

You get a ticket.

 

This based on personal experience of entering a junction, going straight ahead as the light went to amber. A pickup coming from the opposite direction doing an illegal u-turn across my path made me brake hard and stop. By the time I exited the junction, the light was red and I was pulled over right there by one of the cops working the morning wallet-lightening scheme.

 

As I walked back to pay the fine, I noticed that the illegally-turning pickup that had made me stop unexpectedly was parked kerbside. It was a police pickup that was delivering the new shift of daylight robbers to the checkpoint.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

What a crock of s++t, a ceremony for the start of red light cams.

What ever next, a ceremony when ole Fatty goes for a s++t.:cheesy:

If they had a ceremony for him doing that, I was initially going to say it would be a long drawn out affair, but knowing about his 'medical emergencies' I think it could be over with quite quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Where I am (Pattaya) there has been a rash of car owners spray painting their rear number plates so as to make them unreadable to the speed or red light cameras.  Probably the same in Bangkok.  The front plates are usually left alone for some reason.

 

So, if this catches on and plod does nothing about it, there won't be too many fines getting issued!

Maybe not the case? The numbering and province name on my plates, new in 2014, have faded due to the rubbish black paint used. The front plate faded faster than the rear one but both are now illegible. I was pulled over about 3 weeks ago around 2 AM at a traffic check north of Korat. The cop told me I needed to get my plates changed as they are unreadable before waiving me on.

 

If you chose to repaint the numbers yourself, the cops can and will ticket you as you are 'modifying' an official registration plate. As long as they are faded due to the poor paint job from the plate factory, they can only issue a warning.

 

There may be some not-so-clever drivers swapping their more faded front plate for the back one for the reasons you suggest but I doubt there's anyone spray painting anything although I will admit that even up close, it can look like overspray to the layman.

Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, shady86 said:

What happens if the traffic lights turn to red and the car is stuck at middle of intersection because of traffic?

The same as any first world country in gridlock

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to worry. If you look closely at the picture, if they plug the camera into the Power Strip that is not rated for outdoor use, they will soon short out during rainy season.

 

Just pity those who push the button for the road crossing signal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe not the case? The numbering and province name on my plates, new in 2014, have faded due to the rubbish black paint used. The front plate faded faster than the rear one but both are now illegible. I was pulled over about 3 weeks ago around 2 AM at a traffic check north of Korat. The cop told me I needed to get my plates changed as they are unreadable before waiving me on.

 

If you chose to repaint the numbers yourself, the cops can and will ticket you as you are 'modifying' an official registration plate. As long as they are faded due to the poor paint job from the plate factory, they can only issue a warning.

 

There may be some not-so-clever drivers swapping their more faded front plate for the back one for the reasons you suggest but I doubt there's anyone spray painting anything although I will admit that even up close, it can look like overspray to the layman.

It's certainly true that some time ago there were a lot of badly produced plates that deteriorated very quickly but I think that all got sorted out.

 

The examples that I see round here are on pretty new cars.  The rear plates are unreadable but the front ones are pristine.  Looks like tampering to me but you may well be right.  Of course, we also see cars with no plates at all - and plod does nothing about these either!

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe not the case? The numbering and province name on my plates, new in 2014, have faded due to the rubbish black paint used. The front plate faded faster than the rear one but both are now illegible. I was pulled over about 3 weeks ago around 2 AM at a traffic check north of Korat. The cop told me I needed to get my plates changed as they are unreadable before waiving me on.

 

If you chose to repaint the numbers yourself, the cops can and will ticket you as you are 'modifying' an official registration plate. As long as they are faded due to the poor paint job from the plate factory, they can only issue a warning.

 

There may be some not-so-clever drivers swapping their more faded front plate for the back one for the reasons you suggest but I doubt there's anyone spray painting anything although I will admit that even up close, it can look like overspray to the layman.

Your second para. reminded me that a few weeks ago I went for the tax/MOT thing and 2 tired looking Waves had their letters and numbers re blacked with paint by one of the chaps there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, doctormann said:

It's certainly true that some time ago there were a lot of badly produced plates that deteriorated very quickly but I think that all got sorted out.

 

The examples that I see round here are on pretty new cars.  The rear plates are unreadable but the front ones are pristine.  Looks like tampering to me but you may well be right.  Of course, we also see cars with no plates at all - and plod does nothing about these either!

The plates issued in 2010/11 were totally rubbish with the reflective white base paint de-laminating causing huge delays in getting plates issued. The newer plates seem to have a different issue with the reflective white base remaining pristine but the black lettering just greying out, with a bad orange peel effect so it looks like over spray.

 

If the front number is pristine and rear is faded than I go along with your plate-swapping by the opportunist, disingenuous lead-footer!

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Your second para. reminded me that a few weeks ago I went for the tax/MOT thing and 2 tired looking Waves had their letters and numbers re blacked with paint by one of the chaps there. 

Motorbikes are going to attract tickets like white on rice anyway. However, if a guy was repainting bike plates at the vehicle testing station... I guess the local cops will getting a bonus.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The plates issued in 2010/11 were totally rubbish with the reflective white base paint de-laminating causing huge delays in getting plates issued. The newer plates seem to have a different issue with the reflective white base remaining pristine but the black lettering just greying out, with a bad orange peel effect so it looks like over spray.

 

If the front number is pristine and rear is faded than I go along with your plate-swapping by the opportunist, disingenuous lead-footer!

The dozen or so I've noticed in Udon have the rear black lettering 'faded' out, but the front ones are perfect.

There was just one with the front plate faded as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So..the cameras ae working....how about sending to the tickets - addresses OK? Drivers ID'd? What if they don't pay, what follow up service is there? 

How many staff are employed in administering this scheme?

Can you opt to go to court?

Are the cameras and lights calibrated?

Who gets the fines? Police or courts?

Do they photograph the drivers or the back of the vehicle.

Are the number plates readable?

 

PS - how are they getting on with those zig-zags they painted all over BKK?

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

What happens if the traffic lights turn to red and the car is stuck at middle of intersection because of traffic?

The vehicle should not enter the junction (even when the light is on green) unless the exit from the junction is clear. 

 

We can dream. Lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

The dozen or so I've noticed in Udon have the rear black lettering 'faded' out, but the front ones are perfect.

There was just one with the front plate faded as well.

I am in Udon. Four years ago they were perfect. Two years ago the front was bleached out but the back was reasonable. Presently both are similarly faded. The front of my truck is exposed to the sun and weather when parked under cover so that maybe made the front fade faster?

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

What happens if the traffic lights turn to red and the car is stuck at middle of intersection because of traffic?

Come on! These aren't the first traffic light cameras in the world - it can detect if a car passes through on Red or has passed before.... not after

furthermore it would appear that neither you nor the other responds are aware of the yellow boxes at junctions. These cannot be entered unless the exit is clear....oncoming traffic is not in the exit therefore it is legal to proceed - eve if you have to wait for the oncoming traffic - this should stop at some point allowing you to proceed.

all of this however requires a properly designed junction that is accurately line-marked and traffic lights that are fully functional and timed.

 

these systems are designed for use on roads that are properly designed built and mantined, half the junctions in BKK will have to be rebuilt just so these cameras can work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I am in Udon. Four years ago they were perfect. Two years ago the front was bleached out but the back was reasonable. Presently both are similarly faded. The front of my truck is exposed to the sun and weather when parked under cover so that maybe made the front fade faster?

Or perhaps it was as you drove off into the sunset?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

So..the cameras ae working....how about sending to the tickets - addresses OK? Drivers ID'd? What if they don't pay, what follow up service is there?

Address of the owner/registrant on file. Could be the wife, the wife's 'brother', the ex-wife or if they are lucky, the actual driver. It is being linked to the road tax database and if there's outstanding tickets, these fines must be paid before tax payment and getting a valid window sticker.

 

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

How many staff are employed in administering this scheme?

Probably enough and increasing as the system expands.

 

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

Can you opt to go to court?

Yes, but it will be a court with jurisdiction over where any alleged offense took place.

 

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

Are the cameras and lights calibrated?

Yes.

 

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

Who gets the fines? Police or courts?

If you pay the fine, it goes to coffers of the jurisdiction where any alleged offense took place. Not the police.

 

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

Do they photograph the drivers or the back of the vehicle.

Typically a rear number plate but where there are overhead gantries with multiple cameras like at a major intersection, a full-frontal may also be included.

 

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

Are the number plates readable?

Very much so or else there would be no point in taking the picture.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Address of the owner/registrant on file. Could be the wife, the wife's 'brother', the ex-wife or if they are lucky, the actual driver. It is being linked to the road tax database and if there's outstanding tickets, these fines must be paid before tax payment and getting a valid window sticker.

 

Probably enough and increasing as the system expands.

 

Yes, but it will be a court with jurisdiction over where any alleged offense took place.

 

Yes.

 

If you pay the fine, it goes to coffers of the jurisdiction where any alleged offense took place. Not the police.

 

Typically a rear number plate but where there are overhead gantries with multiple cameras like at a major intersection, a full-frontal may also be included.

 

Very much so or else there would be no point in taking the picture.

 

Number plates - Thai number plates are not designed to be photo'd and they are often missing from art or defiled - the police at present do nothing about this except in the occasional road block.

Nonsense!

 

Firstly you can tax a car whilst living at any address - and there is no way of finding out where you have moved.

Secondly there is universal link between insurance, driver and road tax in Eu etc.

there is also legislation that compels the "owner" or usual user to inform the authorities who is driving - there is no such enforceable system in Thailand.

 

Anyone who has experience of Thai courts will know how incredibly inconsistent and incompetent they are and how the police carry out many duties (questionably) that should be handled by a court,.. 

you clearly have NO idea of how much admin and automation is involved in handing out and pursuing road fines

 

I don't know whether they photo number place of Driver - I've had one photo several years ago one the front number plate the driver could not be made out. If they photo the rear there is no chance of ID-ing the driver.

to use multiple cameras requires a hell of a lot more software and I very much doubt that even if they have it, it will work.

"Very much so or else there would be no point in taking the picture." precisely! No point whatsoever....

 

"If you pay the fine, it goes to coffers of the jurisdiction where any alleged offense took place. Not the police" - this is just assumption - even in the EU the law on this is varied and of course one needs a checkable system that registers this.

 

calibration - of course there's a system, but my point is it won't work and one needs a truly independent body to oversee this - nothing is set up.....just a casual contract with the suppliers - imagine trying to get that to court.

 

All this you seem so positive about requires several other aspects to be present - trained police, properly registered are, well-designed junctions with clear markings and admin that can cope (NO CHANCE!!)  and  several other aspects of road design and safety. 

 

 

Thailand's nabobs repeatedly try introducing single "cures" for the nation's road safety problems - none will show any significant improvement unless part of a holistic approach throughout the country............ The traffic light cameras will be a farce that falls into disuse or results in some minister losing face. Blame as ever will be put on the drivers just for the sake of kreng jai.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

What happens if the traffic lights turn to red and the car is stuck at middle of intersection because of traffic?

you are gone if you know the road rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...