Bangkokians beware! Red light cameras start operation on Sunday

webfact

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I agree but whether it is 1000 baht or 5000 baht the sad reality is that very few will actually pay. 

All perpetrators should have one week to cough up the fine or have their vehicles crushed.  

The government does realise the potential income from this and believe me one way or the other they will find a way to get their money.It may take a while but it will happen,easy money!!!

Like another poster said red light runners are killers,go get them!!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Except it will neither promote nor improve road safety. this is a scheme to make some nabobs look good.

It will help a lot once people have to pay. They already connected the road tax to the fine database so people will have to work. Your just someone who is too negative. I know that once they started taking pictures of people crossing white lines near where i lived it started happening a lot less. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

It will help a lot once people have to pay. They already connected the road tax to the fine database so people will have to work. Your just someone who is too negative. I know that once they started taking pictures of people crossing white lines near where i lived it started happening a lot less. 

no it won't - and the road tax database does not update or insist on updating addresses. Then they have to follow up non-payers which has never happened and they don't have th infrastructure to do so.

I no you don't know about white lines either as you won't find any figures to back you up.....thisis another failure in Road safety in Thailand, the figures are hardly eve accurately collected and the analysis is useless.

22 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

no it won't - and the road tax database does not update or insist on updating addresses. Then they have to follow up non-payers which has never happened and they don't have th infrastructure to do so.

I no you don't know about white lines either as you won't find any figures to back you up.....thisis another failure in Road safety in Thailand, the figures are hardly eve accurately collected and the analysis is useless.

No figures but my own eyes you might not believe it but its happening. More and more cars cant get road tax if the fines are not paid. You read on it here on the forum and I had Thai friends who had to pay the fines first before they could renew the road tax. So it works.. maybe not perfect yet but it does. 

22 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

3 or 4 years down the line the cameras will be forgotten, they will hang there inoperative and consequently ineffective, yet another memorial to the piecemeal attempts at incompetence by successive authorities

I agree, but think it will be sooner then that.

They require consistent maintenance, which will not happen.

I give it a year or less.

40 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Except it will neither promote nor improve road safety. this is a scheme to make some nabobs look good.

Your world is Sad dude, simply sad. Taking you comment to the extreme,why do anything at all. Turn the lights off, traffic free for all!!!!

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Your world is Sad dude, simply sad. Taking you comment to the extreme,why do anything at all. Turn the lights off, traffic free for all!!!!

When lights go down on a whole city - such as happened in Bristol, it was found that the traffic continued to move quite freely and the accident rate was little different - however there is no competent body in Thailand to assess that situation. 

However an objective look at the situation re-road safety, design, admin and enforcement should lead anyone to come to the conclusion that the scheme cannot work. It is just another in a long list of attempts that have failed in the last 3 decades - it is incontrovertible that the death rates and other rates of measuring road safety in Thailand have continued to rise over the last 30 years so why would one expect this single measure to be different from any of the other hopeless attempts made?

Until Thailand adopts the holistic  International "Safe Scheme" for road safety management any efforts will be as effective as the proverbial fart in a force ten gale.

2 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

When lights go down on a whole city - such as happened in Bristol, it was found that the traffic continued to move quite freely and the accident rate was little different - however there is no competent body in Thailand to assess that situation. 

However an objective look at the situation re-road safety, design, admin and enforcement should lead anyone to come to the conclusion that the scheme cannot work. It is just another in a long list of attempts that have failed in the last 3 decades - it is incontrovertible that the death rates and other rates of measuring road safety in Thailand have continued to rise over the last 30 years so why would one expect this single measure to be different from any of the other hopeless attempts made?

Somehow an apocryphal story about some backwater like Bristol adds no weight to your argument.

Solving any problem calls for baby steps sometimes. Not every nation came into modern existence in a state of perfection overnight. 

7 hours ago, faraday said:

After photography the 1000's of jumpers - Red light that is, they'll then issue a fine. Ok, good.

But, they just won't have the manpower to collect all the fines.

Looks good, but in practice...well, y'know what'll happen.

i am sure there is plenty of policemen on inactive duty that can collect the fines.

2 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Good, it's about time. I honestly hope this works out..

Agree.

Yes there are questions and yes there will be 'bumps' in the implementation as happened in many other countries, but at least there is some action in regard to law breakers and the road toll.

My 'outer circle' relatives are serial red light runners and they think it's a great sport. Any accidents, deaths, casualties (including their own families) and their attitude is 'it's just bad luck'. Hopefully they will be caught by the cameras many many times and the fines will eventually catch up with them. I hope so. 

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Somehow an apocryphal story about some backwater like Bristol adds no weight to your argument.

Solving any problem calls for baby steps sometimes. Not every nation came into modern existence in a state of perfection overnight. 

Baby steps??? THere's nothing by steps about itThailand has been galloping in the WRONG direction for 30 to 40 years. In an attempt to build up a motor industry and vehicle ownership they have ignored virtually ALL the science of road safety in an effort to promote untrammelled industry as cheaply as possible.

THere's nothing by steps about it, Thailand needs to adopt a clear holistic plan as it has been shown on a worldwide Cale that unless part of the plane steps become single issues and single issues don't work.

there' nothing "apocryphal" about the Bristol story - and calling it a "backwater" only underlines your own lack of knowledge on the subject....

for further info on this...

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18072259

and 

https://thecityfix.com/blog/naked-streets-without-traffic-lights-improve-flow-and-safety/

not that I'm suggesting it would be a solution either for BK, its just that so many posters are uninformed and make baseless assumptions.

6 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Be  funny when they have 20  photos  of the same vehicle  stuck in the  middle  of a junction due to traffic and send out 30  tickets to said victim

which will mean that not only is the system not operating but they don't know how to operate it.

21 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Until Thailand adopts the holistic  International "Safe Scheme" for road safety management any efforts will be as effective as the proverbial fart in a force ten gale.

True of course but the holistic approach is not on the horizon so every little helps.

Archived