When is it possible to gain extension of stay?

I renew my extension of stay every year based on marriage.  I remember reading somewhere you can only do it 30 days before expiry but cannot find anything official now.

I am going away 25 days before it expires and return after it expires.  Every time I have extended (at Chaengwattana) I have had to wait for about 10 days for  a decision.  

Is it going to be possible for me to extend before I go away?

Yes, you should be able to do it 30 days before, which means you have 5 days before you go away but will not be enough if it takes 10 days. I do not know if CW agree to 45 days before, but I´ve heard that some offices done that in the past.

If you only have to wait 10 days for you extension based  on marriage you are lucky. Sometimes it can take over 30 and mostly around 30. ???? 

Edited by Matzzon

19 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I do not know if CW agree to 45 days before,

I believe that they do. But one thing that the OP will need to double-check (on the basis of his previous extension applications) is whether CW date the 30-day "under consideration" period from when he lodges his extension application with them, or from the expiry date of his current permission to stay. If the former this might be cutting things fine with regard to his 25-day trip. I agree with you that it would be most unwise for him to bank on a 10-day turnaround in this instance.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Westen said:

I am going away 25 days before it expires and return after it expires.  Every time I have extended (at Chaengwattana) I have had to wait for about 10 days for  a decision.  

Is it going to be possible for me to extend before I go away?

You can apply up to 45 days early at CW.

They usually tell you to go back 30 days (never heard of 10 days) after you've applied to pick up the extension stamp. That will be 15 days before your extension expires, and too late for you to extend before going away. Note that it's possible for them to ask you to return after a maximum of 75 days if applying 45 days early.

An alternative would be to apply for a 60 day extension and a re-entry permit - just before you leave - that are issued on the spot, and apply for the 1 year extension when you return.

Failing that it's easy to get a new Single Entry Non O visa while outside Thailand, and you can start the extension process again after entering with that visa. Nothing lost doing that as long as you're not planning to apply for a Residence Permit (PR) within 3 years.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

CW allows up to 45 days early for extension of stay for retirement and believe the same for marriage.  But it used to be 30 days under consideration when I used marriage.  Make sure a current TM30 has been filed.

4 minutes ago, paahlman said:

I have to say I did not read it all.. 

But everyone can extend their stay based on nothing whenever they want one time.. ega. 30 days.. You pay 1900 baht for that in immigration. Takes 10 minutes.

A marriage extension of stay could be extended 60 days with wife and documents or one year with wife and financials - there is no option to extend 30 days with nothing.

Image result for fake news

Last week my application was accepted 45 days prior to my the end of my extension date. 

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

A marriage extension of stay could be extended 60 days with wife and documents or one year with wife and financials - there is no option to extend 30 days with nothing.

Image result for fake news

Really is this true? If so this will give applicants who maybe one or two months short of the 12 month 40,000 baht into a Thai Bank requirement for extension of stay to get in compliance. 

2 minutes ago, BoBoTheClown said:

Really is this true? If so this will give applicants who maybe one or two months short of the 12 month 40,000 baht into a Thai Bank requirement for extension of stay to get in compliance. 

Indeed it does and is often recommended for that.

3 hours ago, paahlman said:

I have to say I did not read it all.. 

But everyone can extend their stay based on nothing whenever they want one time.. ega. 30 days.. You pay 1900 baht for that in immigration. Takes 10 minutes.

What are you talking about? This isn't about tourist visa entries.

Did you read any of the o/p's post? Check the expiration date on your meds.

Edited by Suradit69