Holding onto AIS phone number: Will a 1 year AIS data plan do it for 1 full year?

Hal65

Or do I need to do a monthly top up?

I have their 1,800 baht/year fixed speed 1mbps plan. I do not have a voice plan as voice calls are rare.

In the online AIS dashboard i see a 200 baht balance and also this:

Valid Until
23/08/2020

I do not know if the above applies only to the unused balance, or also my AIS phone number.

Edited by Hal65

4 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I do not know if the above applies only to the unused balance, or also my AIS phone number.

it appllies to your number. even with a zero balance you keep your number until that date, then you lose it with out some cash. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

What are the results of the standard queries for balance check and data plan?

*121#

*121*32#  (expect 23/08/2020)

Balance was the same

2nd one showed an expire date of 07/13/20 which is 1 year ahead of when I think I bought the service (last month). 

Good to know the balance expire date and phone number expire on the same date then. Maintaining the number isn't as labor intensive as I thought it might be (and support seemed to suggest monthly top ups were required too for some reason).

10 hours ago, Hal65 said:

(and support seemed to suggest monthly top ups were required too for some reason)

I don't top-up every month.

And it is easy to extend the validity of credit by feeding 20 Baht to the AIS self-service machine.

You get 20 Baht credit and validity extended for one month.

That can be repeated up to one year max.

• Like 2

At least with DTAC it is easy to extend and keep your number without investing in a data plan you not gonna use or regular top-ups. You dial *1013 and for a 2 Baht fee they extend for a month. Repeat procedure till you reach 1 year validity. I would assume AIS offers something similar, if not switch providers. 

2 hours ago, thecyclist said:

At least with DTAC it is easy to extend and keep your number without investing in a data plan you not gonna use or regular top-ups. You dial *1013 and for a 2 Baht fee they extend for a month. Repeat procedure till you reach 1 year validity. I would assume AIS offers something similar, if not switch providers. 

Primitive.

DTAC  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.

• Press : *113*30*9# for 30 days extension. ...
  • Press : *113*60*9# for 60 days extension. ...
  • Press : *113*90*9# for 90 days extension. ...
  • Press : *113*180*9# for 180 days extension...

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

Im sitting out the 2 year deal in Australia so I wanted to keep my AIS number, my Girl did it for me and I pay I think its 69 baht every 3 months to keep it and when I get back will re instate my old plan.

Postpaid?

For Prepaid, you just top up 12(10+2) baht at the orange Boontherm machines;

7-eleven-ais-topup.png

76210398-bangkok-thailand-march-31-yello

30 days for each time. If it is a normal SIM you can extend up to 365 days. So a maximum of twelve top ups will give you a year. 120 baht of the 144 baht put into the machine will remain as credit.

No need to have to repeat every three months. Just max out to a full year each time.

USSD method to Extend your SIM’s validity

There are also methods for extending your balance by entering a code and deducting from your balance. To extend your validity via USSD codes:

• AIS
    • Add 10 Baht credit for 30 Days Validity
    • Alternative method: Dial *500*9#   Add 30 days validity for 30 THB via Mao Mao package

1 hour ago, jumbo said:

USSD method to Extend your SIM’s validity

There are also methods for extending your balance by entering a code and deducting from your balance. To extend your validity via USSD codes:

• AIS
    • Add 10 Baht credit for 30 Days Validity
    • Alternative method: Dial *500*9#   Add 30 days validity for 30 THB via Mao Mao package

How do you add 10 baht credit for 30 days validity via USSD code?

If *500*9# doesn't work, try *777*30#. Both offer 30 days validity and 30 minutes of calls over 5 days, for 30 baht.

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Before I left in April, I went to the AIS store and the girl topped up for me for like a whole year, then when I got back, I use my top up dollars for a new package

Wow....

You can also do that yourself at any Boontherm machine outside 7-11 or Family Mart.

30 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Wow....

You can also do that yourself at any Boontherm machine outside 7-11 or Family Mart.

Why would I do that when I can have a cute girl do it for me