Just how important is Free Speech?

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And lots of people still believe that if the authorities say something then it must be true...

I think the exact opposite.

Again it is down to education and it is the job of parents to show kids how the world really works and to teach them how to differentiate between something that is genuine and something that is false.

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Yinn I respect your comments here on TV. But do you think not losing face makes it impossible to learn from your mistakes?

The concept of not losing face is one of the things that is holding Thailand back.

If I was about to make a terrible mistake I would want my Thai friends to point it out right away, not cover it up to make me feel better. 

exactly right!

Face is a huge roadblock in Thailand's development and needs to be addressed in order to advance. Adults should be able to take it on the chin rather than being protected like school children.

13 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Yinn I respect your comments here on TV. But do you think not losing face makes it impossible to learn from your mistakes?

The concept of not losing face is one of the things that is holding Thailand back.

If I was about to make a terrible mistake I would want my Thai friends to point it out right away, not cover it up to make me feel better. 

Its not as if you never lied or have given some white lies to people. I know I have.. it all depends where you draw the line. 

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But how about politicians who complexly ignore scientific evidence?

When i.e. some people want that kids learn in school that some old guy with a white beard created earth and everything on earth about 6,000 years ago.

It's crazy, and all evidence is against it, but so called authorities are still allowed to publish such BS ideas.

And lots of people still believe that if the authorities say something then it must be true...

"And lots of people still believe that if the authorities say something then it must be true..."

Agree entirely ???? - but not sure what any of this has to do with free speech?

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

No reason to make them feel bad.

Sometimes the only  way and avoiding that is pitiful, then "who draws the line" (decides  whats acceptable) 

Speech  should be free  on any subject, sensible folk can always counter  argue. No  holds  should be barred, from paedophiles  , murderers, bible  bashers, etc etc all should be allowed and hate  speech too.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

well i am talking professionally. aircraft maintenance, professional drivers, flood control, electrical training and ghosts calling the shots.    

You'll be  telling us next there's a leopard  living  next  door  or  summat.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Face is a huge roadblock in Thailand's development

Japan has  face it hasnt  stopped  them in many ways especially safety on the roads.....................however you then have to see Fukushima

Most people are polite and refrain from airing offensive views unless they are in the company of someone similarly minded.

Most (being polite) will either ignore or walk away.  The 'ordinary' person has to feel strongly to argue against them, but this doesn't mean that they agree with what has been said.

But this has nothing to do with where the line should be drawn when it comes to free speech.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

But if they terrible, bad thing

who decides  whats  "terrible bad  thing"  example sitting on a Buddha  statue, a lump of concrete made by  people, thats all it  is but Thai  will see  that as "terrible  bad" when reality is its a lump of  concrete and even more reality is  you dont actually  sit  on it as the atoms never  touch each other. So technically and correctly speaking you never  touch it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

Most people are polite and refrain from airing offensive views unless they are in the company of someone similarly minded.

Most (being polite) will either ignore or walk away.  The 'ordinary' person has to feel strongly to argue against them, but this doesn't mean that they agree with what has been said.

But this has nothing to do with where the line should be drawn when it comes to free speech.

We unfortunately  now  live in a  world where it  appears everyone gets  offended, its  getting more stupid  daily. The Hail Satan movie shows  this hypocrisy, I sent em $10 anyway, I have no  kids , when I die my estate  will go to various causes, Afghan womens assoc  RAWA, Richard Dawkins, and the Satan brigade some of the many fighting to be heard.

3 minutes ago, Yinn said:

They will feel bad, the sex worker will feel bad

They might feel its their  choice and that as its  not  harming you and benefitting them or  thats its  "none  of  your  business" or they may sensibly ( imo )  not  even care.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kellersphuket said:

Funnily enough I don't feel for you.

My heart goes out to the young kids of tomorrow growing up in a society where speaking your mind has restrictions and is generally frowned upon.

how can thailand advance without free speech?

just look at China.

Sometimes, I wish I could type what I think.

Very often, I'd like to say what I think when I see certain things, but I decide to keep it for friends only. 

But when you start to find all mistakes of a country and its people, you're only hurting yourself. Perhaps time to think a bit more positive.

Nobody has to go to live in China.

Nobody has to go to live in LOS.

Do you really believe that using fu_ and shi_e in every sentence is considered free speech?

Many people are constantly talking about the weather, because they have not more to say.

Most people don't even know what's really going on in their countries because they believe all the news.

Free speech is very important, but I don't have to tell everybody what I really believe. 

Some people just waste too much time to think about the negative parts of a country or something/somebody. How important is that?

There are plenty of other and better things to do. Perhaps to start living without constantly criticizing all and everything?

It's just wasted time. And it's your wasted time, not mine. Good day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I think a lot of farang don’t understand it also. Many you guy go with primitive sex worker, act like she real girlfriend, in the street, restaurant, resort.  We think it look stupid, but we never say to them. Just be smile and friendly. Acting we can not see, but really think they stupid.

They will feel bad, the sex worker will feel bad. For what? I think if Aussie, they will say to them sure.

Not true. I was once walking along the street with my ex girlfriend (who was an office lady) and the thai men constantly making comments about us and she must be a hooker etc.. 

What do you call that then? Not very sabai sabai after all.

16 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Sometimes the only  way and avoiding that is pitiful, then "who draws the line" (decides  whats acceptable) 

Thai culture/society decides that for Thailand. Your country up to you.

16 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Speech  should be free  on any subject, sensible folk can always counter  argue. No  holds  should be barred

Not really.

What if I meet you and your wife first time at a wedding party.

Then I ask you “is your wife a sex worker before”?

And then I say “How many customer she have before you”?

And then ask you “How many sex worker you go with before?”

Free speech right?

I think it better to be polite.

3 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Not true. I was once walking along the street with my ex girlfriend (who was an office lady) and the thai men constantly making comments about us and she must be a hooker etc.. 

What do you call that then? Not very sabai sabai after all.

I call that free speech.

you like it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

More peaceful

What limited statistics are there for this? I see just in this  small excerpt  of the page  linked,  but i  could  just smile and say its  all  lovely? and we are talking about Thailand  before other countries get dragged  in.

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Thailand

Official corruption is rampant in Thailand.[1][2] It ranges from bribery to outright police collusion. The interplay of drugs, prostitution, political paralysis, corruption and collusion, a culture of impunity,[3] international tourism and trade, traditional Buddhist tolerance[4] and tendency to ignore problems has led to an increasingly multifaceted and complex crime epidemic in the country. Juvenile delinquency has also been increasing in recent years.[5][6]

Animal abuse[edit]

Further information: Animal welfare in Thailand

Animal abuse in Thailand is widespread, including elephants tortured for tourism,[21] killing elephants for their tusks,[22] smuggling them from Myanmar,[23] exploiting elephants in cities,[24] and trading in animal parts.[25]

Rape[edit]

In 2013, some 87 women came forward daily to report sexual abuse or to seek counseling as a result of sexual abuse in Thailand, with most offenders known to the victim. Police refused to accept many complaints, giving excuses such as "political unrest". The youngest victim was aged one year and nine months and eldest was 85. The youngest offender was a 10-year-old boy who took part in a gang-rape and the eldest was an 85-year-old man who molested a young girl.[26]

The number of rape cases in Thailand in 2015 has been reported as 3,240, with 2,109 reported in 2016. The Royal Thai Police reported 2,535 cases in 2017.[27]According to the Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation (WMP), 53% of rape victims are raped by family members or friends. Only 38% percent of rape victims are raped by strangers.[28]

On 27 May 2019, Thai sexual assault laws were toughened. Among other changes, sexual attacks on children younger than 13 will carry a sentence of life in prison, while penalties will double for rapists who record and share media of their crime. The new law also adds penalties for sexual crimes against men and necrophilia.[28]