Transferwise disabled account

I receive money from abroad by transferwise on a regular base.

Today an Australian customer notified me that Transferwise doesn't support payments to Thai banks anymore.

When I checked I found this wasn't true, but at the same time i found that my account was disabled.

Called them up and they say they don't know the reason why it is disabled and tell me to send email to appeals blah blah blah.

I couldn't care less about a financial organization that doesn't appreciate my custom as there are plenty around, but I find it strange that because my TF account is disabled, other people can't send money to my Kasikorn account anymore.

Anyone heard of this before?

12 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Today an Australian customer notified me that Transferwise doesn't support payments to Thai banks anymore.

Did he send you a link to Transferwise, which you might have opened and then you logged in there?

In this case your account might have been stolen and thus Transferwise closed it to protect you and them.

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Did he send you a link to Transferwise, which you might have opened and then you logged in there?

In this case your account might have been stolen and thus Transferwise closed it to protect you and them.

Why would a paying customer need to send me a TF link?

My customer is a regular customer and has paid using TF in the past.

Today he wanted to make a payment to my Kasikorn account, and emailed me that TF doesn't support transfers to Thailand anymore.

He now want to use XE to make the payment, but I'm afraid it's not that easy to receive an exact amount that way.

I tried to login to TF and get the message that the account is disabled.

My Kasikorn account is still alive and well. If they disable my TF account, what has that to do with payments to my Kasikorn account?

17 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Just contact Transferwise, they might just require evidence of business (copy invoices etc)

I contacted them twice by phone already, and they say they have no idea about the reason.

I did some google about transferwise appeal and found they use the same <deleted> practices as Paypal, in that they never respond to an appeal either.

My point is that a customer does a direct transfer from his Aussie account to my Kasikorn account using TF.

There is no mention about any business or invoices, and my TF account is not involved, because you don't need a TF account to receive money.

So why can TF block someone sending money to my Thai bank account

The did the same to me but before I even completed my first transaction.

They refuse to ever tell why when they do this.

Apparently they use a set of algorithms to flag possible suspicious transactions and accounts. Whatever these algorithms are, they flag a lot of innocent accounts.

You can try the "appeals" but given that you have no way of knowing what the issue even is, it is rather hard to know what information to provide, and they do not ask any questions. You just email into the void and, at the end of it, they refuse to unblock your account , still not saying why.

At least that is how it was for me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThePioneer said:

So why can TF block someone sending money to my Thai bank account

I am somewhat bemused by this last line of yours. A third party cannot send money to your Thai bank account via TransferWise. T/W does function like Paypal.

A third party can only deposit money into a 'Borderless Account' held in your name. It is then up to you to make the transfer to your Thai account.

Are you sure you're trying to go about this the right way?

52 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I am somewhat bemused by this last line of yours. A third party cannot send money to your Thai bank account via TransferWise. T/W does function like Paypal.

A third party can only deposit money into a 'Borderless Account' held in your name. It is then up to you to make the transfer to your Thai account.

Are you sure you're trying to go about this the right way?

Sorry but you have clearly no idea how transferwise works

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/how-does-transferwise-work

3. Tell us where your transfer is going

Tell us who you’re sending the money to, along with their local bank details. You can send money to yourself, someone else, or a business, depending on the country.

Your recipient doesn’t need a TransferWise account to get their money. Just a bank account.

Edited by ThePioneer

OP,

You are talking "two separate issues:". 1) a customer saying he can no longer pay you using Transferwise, and 2) you found out your Transferwise acct is disabled.

Where the customer said Transferwise no longer sends/pays to Thailand is incorrect as you already found out/stated. He can still send as long as his acct has not be disabled...maybe he left out that detail and that's why he wants to try paying via XE.com. Or maybe he just trying to get out of paying you....making up the story.

And where you found out "your" Transferwise acct is disabled, well, that's a completely separate issue.

But maybe the two issues are linked in that Transferwise decided the payments the customer was making to you violated some terms of agreements for Transferwise use and they somehow linked that to your Transferwise account also.  Therefore, both of your accts were disabled. 

Anyway, just because your Transferwise acct is disabled does not stop a person from sending to your bank acct/sending money to you.  Maybe the person is just looking for a reason to not pay you.

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Where the customer said Transferwise no longer sends/pays to Thailand is incorrect as you already found out/stated. He can still send as long as his acct has not be disabled...maybe he left out that detail and that's why he wants to try paying via XE.com. Or maybe he just trying to get out of paying you....making up the story.

The customer receives a service only after he has paid, plus this time he is due to a bonus, but that will only be applied when he extend and pays for the service this time. I don't really know what has gone wrong at his side, as I know he uses transferwise only to pay me, and he has informed that he has now made a payment with XE already. The amount is should be in my account tomorrow, the only thing I worry about is that Kasikorn will deduct a fee from the amount that arrives.

You have any info if that is the case?

Anyway customer told me that if Kasikorn deducts a fee, he will compensate it.

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

And where you found out "your" Transferwise acct is disabled, well, that's a completely separate issue.

I have been thinking further on this, and actually my Kasikorn account isn't linked to TF, but my foreign credit card is linked.

I have used TF only 2 or 3 times in the past to send money, and that was all legal.

BUT, a few weeks ago I contacted TF support because I have a significant amount of EU and US in foreign currency accounts with Kasikorn.

All those funds have been send from my home country accounts several years ago using swift. So all is above board.

I want to return these moneys to the respective accounts in my home country, in the foreign currency they are, but Kasikorn charges huge fees for that. I think 0.25% on the total amount, with no maximum like if you transfwer Thai Baht.

My question to Transferwise was if I could send it from Kasikorn to a borderless account and park it there or send from there to the accounts in Europe.

They have answered my questions at that time, but most probably have flagged my account, for something that hasn't even happened.

Similar to Sheryl's account that got disabled even before she had made a transaction.

All I can say, Transferwise is to avoid. If you do a search on google there are plenty similar complaints

• Like 1

Its not surprising things will begin to go southwards with Transferwise, two of the founding members of PayPal are now major investors in the company.  Remember what happened to paypal when they began limiting accounts and holding funds for 6 months without explanation and banning people without explanation.

I hope Transferwise don't go down that route.

• Like 2

I have a seedbox and transferwise has blocked me sending money only this one company who I rent it from, I sent them an email to ask why and they supplied no reason , at least they never blocked my account as I love my transferwise mastercard.