The "leavers" that can't leave.

swissie

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

If

If my wife died, I get over 20 million from Insurance, then back to Retirement  extension. ????

That can be arranged by PM 555

Split the 20mill 50/50%?

I remember a US black comedian talking about his divorce...the attorney mentioned alimony until she died. He replied bitch be dead next week.

For God's sake. Some valued contributors of TVF gotten quite "riled-up" with regard to my OP.
I merely tryed to point out that most "alternative" LT destinations may look promising at first glance, but on second glance I usually found one (or several) flys in the ointement.

- May it be that LT Residency for Foreighners is not (yet) firmly anchored within a countries lagislation (not Iron-Clad).
OR:
- The potential Foreighn-Resident has to show a heavy wallet, heavier than the 800'000 Bht wallet required in Thailand. (and many other small "flys in the ointement", as the case may be).
So, what I really wanted to say is: A good number of Farangs (having contemlated to leave), found a lot of "Fly's in the ointement" on second glance concerning other places.
Having come to the conclusion, that in spite of increased "Immigration Pressure" in Thailand, there seem to be less "Fly's in the ointement" in Thailand compared to other places, overall and at the end of the day.

STILL: This TM30 thing has to go. One way or the other.

4 minutes ago, swissie said:

For God's sake. Some valued contributors of TVF gotten quite "riled-up" with regard to my OP.
I merely tryed to point out that most "alternative" LT destinations may look promising at first glance, but on second glance I usually found one (or several) flys in the ointement.

- May it be that LT Residency for Foreighners is not (yet) firmly anchored within a countries lagislation (not Iron-Clad).
OR:
- The potential Foreighn-Resident has to show a heavy wallet, heavier than the 800'000 Bht wallet required in Thailand. (and many other small "flys in the ointement", as the case may be).
So, what I really wanted to say is: A good number of Farangs (having contemlated to leave), found a lot of "Fly's in the ointement" on second glance concerning other places.
Having come to the conclusion, that in spite of increased "Immigration Pressure" in Thailand, there seem to be less "Fly's in the ointement" in Thailand compared to other places, overall and at the end of the day.

STILL: This TM30 thing has to go. One way or the other.

It's "Flies in the ointment",

and the TM30 is required by law,and the Department of Immigration is just one department. The TM30 will be around for a long long time. The only thing to hope for is a much easier way to submit it. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

It's "Flies in the ointment",

and the TM30 is required by law,and the Department of Immigration is just one department. The TM30 will be around for a long long time. The only thing to hope for is a much easier way to submit it. 

Of course, at some time in the future the TM30 can be done by way of Internet. But that's not the point. The point is: Why do "they" need to know where I am at, at any given time?

In my case: During my LT-Stay in Thailand (5 years), I travelled a lot. Going over my records it shows that I only stayed 1 week of the month at my residence on average. The rest of the month I travelled. This is how I learned about Thailand. I always managed to stay in a "private-environement", hardly ever stayed at a Hotel/Guesthouse.

These days it would be impossible. How could I possibly explain to my private host, that he/she has to "register me" with the nearest Immi-Office when I stay overnight at his/her place? Just no more feasable. Freedom of unburocratic movement of Foreighn Passport-Holders severely restricted.

Gladly, I can still travel around the world and no other country/governement needs to know where I am at, at any given time, as long I have entered the country with a valid visa.

Different in Thailand now.

I am just glad that (so far) Thai's do not have to make a new entry in their Blue "House Book" whenever they decide to spend a weekend in Hua Hin or Pattaya, staying with a relative.

Imagine the long "waiting-lines" upon them leaving and returning home and having it stamped by some "officials" to bring their Blue "House-Book" up to date again.

"They" are  wanting of Farangs just to do that. (Basically). Thank God Farangs are a minority in Thailand.

As serious as this matter is, if you can't laugh about it anymore, it would be a clear indication that you have stayed in Thailand for too long.

Remedy: Visit Thailand often on a Holiday. You will be happy on arrival and equally happy on departure. It's a Win-Win Situation. 

Cheers.

10 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"planned a life on 65b to the GBP deserves what they get"? 

You are obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer. What are you gonna use when you plan? A crystal ball? The £ was rocksolid for many many years. How can any normal person anticipate for example Brexit and now Boris Johnson? Or the very strong baht. Think before you reply next time. 

Without getting to into the weeds your currency has for all intents and purposes has done nothing but decline over the past fifteen years against the baht. When I teach my high school M6 children charts and vocabulary I explain the vocabulary word TREND. The trend from 65 to date is something a Thai expatriate should note.

The best rate over the last ten years is 55. The data doesn't go back further. 6X was a total anomaly back when your currency was worth something AND the Thai baht was struggling. A perfect storm. Well over a decade ago. An anomaly.

People were moaning at 45. Until 2016 it was fairly firm at 48 not 68 lol. So you sat on your hands from 50 to present. No hedge.

As for Brexit well maybe you should have moved your money here. GBP will come back after brexit but I'd say your currency is finished long term. They all are. Very uncertain times ahead.

Edited by Number 6

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Without getting to into the weeds your currency has for all intents and purposes has done nothing but decline over the past ten years against the baht. That is a trend a Thai expatriate should note.

The best rate over the last ten years is 55. 6X was a total anomaly back when your currency was worth something AND the Thai baht was struggling. A perfect storm. Well over a decade ago.

People were moaning at 45. Until 2016 it was fairly firm at 48 not 68 lol. 

Asfor Brexit well maybe you should have moved your money here. GBP will come back after brexit but I'd say your currency is finished long term. They all are. Very uncertain times ahead.

yes THB is strong. for how long? many expats affected. some more than others. let no one hold their breath. could be strong for a long time to come. I'm gonna live it up today as tomorrow could be more -VE. 

10 minutes ago, jastheace said:

yes THB is strong. for how long? many expats affected. some more than others. let no one hold their breath. could be strong for a long time to come. I'm gonna live it up today as tomorrow could be more -VE. 

It will remain strong until it's weakening. Obviously we don't know. It will take a trigger to REVERSE the trend.

The US is moving into recession. The trade bickering with China. China's debt and banking system. Japanese debt. Individual debt held be it in US or Thailand. The bond markets. US stock ! arkets followed by international markets tanking. In short 2009-10 (1997) all over again. EU disintegration. I personally believe although public data does not support Thai land developers holding external debt in foreign currency.

Could simply be developers overbuilding and the banks call the loans. Even that madness has an end. How many condoblocks can stand empty?

Edited by Number 6

On 8/30/2019 at 5:59 AM, dimitriv said:

This is not completely the truth. And what others can you can do yourself too.

If I want to marry and live together with a wife from a country not in the EU I have to comply to very strict rules because I live in NL. I need to have enough income, if I am self employed I need to show that I made enough money in the past 3 years. Before my wife would get a visum she needs to follow lessons to learn to speak Dutch, and make a test in the Dutch consulate in her home country.Only after this she will get a visum to travel to me with the goal to live together. 

Other countries have rules with are less strict. Belgium and Spain are examples. But as an EU citizen I can use these countries too. I can for example move to Belgium or Spain. Rent a house. Register myself. As a EU citizen I have the right to do this.  My wife can come on a tourist visum. In Spain it's no problem to overstay that visum. If I register her on my address, marry and live together for a year we can both move to NL without problems. Upon arriving in NL I will have to prove that we lived together for a year in an EU country. And she will get her visum to live together.

I don't know how this will be for UK residents after Brexit. Probably the right to travel and live/move permanently in EU countries will be restricted. The law that after living together for a year in the EU your wife will get a visum is also an EU law. But at least till now it is something you could use too.

The idea that you can do this while being unemployed is of course not so. Although (as far as I know) you do not have to prove that you earn enough money you do need money to pay the rent and other things.  So you need a job, or enough money in the bank.

Well said that person!

Basically Thailand is still a great place to live, but you need to be very financially sound, never buy property, or invest in business, stay legal and don't flaunt wealth. Also stay single if possible

Have a good lawyer on standby and a back up plan in another country. If you struggle to put the B 800,0000, and don't have at least 50 times that in readies, forget trying to live a decent life there

34 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Basically Thailand is still a great place to live, but you need to be very financially sound, never buy property, or invest in business, stay legal and don't flaunt wealth. Also stay single if possible

Have a good lawyer on standby and a back up plan in another country. If you struggle to put the B 800,0000, and don't have at least 50 times that in readies, forget trying to live a decent life there

50 times 800,000 baht in readies?

What planet are you on? ????  I had a good life in Thailand with only a few thousand baht in the bank...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bartender100 said:

If you struggle to put the B 800,0000, and don't have at least 50 times that in readies, forget trying to live a decent life there

If a person has $1.3 MILLION USD ready..(50x800k baht) .....I think they would probably have a life elsewhere

Edited by mania

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 3:51 AM, aqua4 said:

You:

1. They are poor; OR

2. They like the nightlife;

Maybe:

1. The cost of relocating is a pain; (sell house/condo into a soft market)

2. Too old to move and start again;

3. Procrastination and gotten used to the uncertainty;

4. Hoping it changes; (which I doubt)

5. What to do with Thai wife and/or kids; (they are now a liability)

6. Just to lazy to do anything other than moan;

7. Hoping it does not affect them later as they can still wiggle for now.

Bravo, you got more or less the right answers.