Marriage Ext Rejected - What are my Options?

3 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

You don't seem to know much considering you have been here for a 12 stretch?

The post was going so good and even had a hint of humor along the way,

then you came in and had to bash the trend, yeah...

The requirements are always changing, and before you get started, 

whether or not that applies to a marriage extension or not, 

it is still good to verify and look at all the options which could appear, yes? 

I don't know many people who want to waste time with IO doing the process anyway, 

but correctly, do you?

It's never a good idea to go in and try to wing it, it just pisses off the IO processing things, 

in which he/she will just create more obstacles for the applicant to have to maneuver through, 

as any logical government official is prone to at least consider doing.

After all they want their boring job to be as easy as possible.

• Like 2

@DumbFalang

I am in the same boat here, I am also business owner and my payments do not come from my home country but UK etc.
Basically have well over 40K a month but can not proof this the way they want it (embassy only proofs income from Netherlands, not elsewhere).

Which basically means I am forced to put all my income trough Netherlands, for no reason, as well have additional costs + having to fly there to set-up a new company. Then still, it will take at least 12 months before I can get the actual proof. 

I tried to explain and get information at many sources in CM but without result, they do not even seem to understand it is possible to have a business abroad.
Basically have done a tourist visa + tourist extension + non-o extension (they do that in CM), 2x Mae Sai and now on a single entry Non-o from Vientiane (he said next time they will need income proof there too, unsure what this means).

Looking at the next nightmare at December 15th, to close this year and have 2x land borders again.
Considering a lawyer in Pattaya, taking care for all of it at around 30K baht (+ me having to fly there twice too), or setting up a Thai company with lawyer CM.

Somehow hoped to see positive changes with all the time I bought already, but it seems to only get worse hehe.
If I didn't have a son and wife here, i'd be long gone by now. 

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

Although I sympathise with you, you do seem to of taken your eye off the ball:

Been there 12 years, not got 400k in the bank, self "employed" on a Marriage visa and sharing that with immigration, putting all your money into a farm that obviously isn't paying its way?   

My advice, go visa exempt/tourist visa as an interim, sell some of that land (or take out a loan on it) that's seems to be a money pit, and raise the 400k, once seasoned re-do marriage visa, don't mention your "employed" self or not, ever again to immigration. 

Assuming you are too young for a retirement visa via an agent you will need to do a border run for a new O visa. Then set up a company in say HC to pay you a regular amount via FTT for the marriage extension. You could set up a Thai company but that would mean paying tax.

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

As a Brit there are no VOA options and tourist visa's are not issued on entry. Any entry into thailand without a visa would be the standard visa exempt entry.

Your future options would maybe be dependant on whether you can get the 40k income or 400k deposit in order, then start again. Entry, seasoning, extension etc.

If I am British and married to Thai can I show in English bank account 40000 per month or does it have to be a mix of 400,000 and 40000 to get a marriage visa current I have a o vise.

6 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Assuming you are too young for a retirement visa via an agent you will need to do a border run for a new O visa. Then set up a company in say HC to pay you a regular amount via FTT for the marriage extension. You could set up a Thai company but that would mean paying tax.

Sadly, I AM old enough for a retirement visa and it remains an option. I won't be setting up companies anywhere on the planet Thanks - those days are long gone.

2 minutes ago, eric chappell said:

If I am British and married to Thai can I show in English bank account 40000 per month or does it have to be a mix of 400,000 and 40000 to get a marriage visa current I have a o vise.

One or the other.

2 hours ago, Grundy1927 said:

At the moment your gettimg extensioms om your origimal visa ir you

dont continue this way you will have to apply again for marrizge visa 

And you will hsve to provide proof of insurance .

proof of insurance  ?????

19 minutes ago, spoon1967 said:

Although I sympathise with you, you do seem to of taken your eye off the ball:

If taking my eye off the ball means enjoying life to the full and trying not to think about the immigration process until just before the renewal date, then yes, I took my eye off the ball.

22 minutes ago, spoon1967 said:

Been there 12 years, not got 400k in the bank, self "employed" on a Marriage visa and sharing that with immigration, putting all your money into a farm that obviously isn't paying its way?

I have 4 kids and you think it's strange that I don't have 400K lying around?

Thanks for your concern but the wife's farm is doing very well. If you have ever setup a business you will understand that 4 or 5 years of investment is not that unusual before a new business starts to make a profit. Local families rely on the farm for employment - we have their welfare to think about too.

26 minutes ago, spoon1967 said:

My advice, go visa exempt/tourist visa as an interim, sell some of that land (or take out a loan on it) that's seems to be a money pit, and raise the 400k, once seasoned re-do marriage visa, don't mention your "employed" self or not, ever again to immigration.

My turn to have a wild guess..... your an accountant right?

Anyhoo....just found out that the Vietnamese eVisa takes 3 full working days to process, so it's a bit tight as my current visa expires on the 6th of September.

Going to research a trip to Laos - I know there's a good thread on here about it....

Just now, DumbFalang said:

Anyhoo....just found out that the Vietnamese eVisa takes 3 full working days to process, so it's a bit tight as my current visa expires on the 6th of September.

Going to research a trip to Laos - I know there's a good thread on here about it....

You can get a Vietnam visa within 24 hours if you really want to get it. Nothing complicated about that, still more than enough time to do that as well.

Just now, tabarin said:

You can get a Vietnam visa within 24 hours if you really want to get it. Nothing complicated about that, still more than enough time to do that as well.

The web sites I've visited so far said 3 full working days. Can you point me in the right direction?

4 minutes ago, DumbFalang said:

Savannakhet is a piece of cake for a Multi non O visa but you will need to leave the country every 90 days but will give you time to sort things out. No financials required as of 3 weeks ago. Basic paperwork only.

Buy a Laos visa at the friendship bridge for 1500 baht and go to the consulate. Apply one day and pick up the next. Take the wife for a mini holiday, that's what I did and we both quite enjoyed it. I think she had to pay 50 baht to get into Laos. Hotels and tuk tuks cost the same whether its one or two people. Only extra cost is a bit of food for the mrs and any shopping that she will probably want to do.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DumbFalang said:

The web sites I've visited so far said 3 full working days. Can you point me in the right direction?

Just pay for the priority service on one of them and it saves time but regardless: you have 3 days of time, so what is the real problem? 
Agree immigration is annoying as f..k but you can also create additional problems yourself by complicating things for no reason.

If you have land etc, you should be able to loan, send it abroad and back + done is your yearly visa. Wish I had those options on the table.
Mean this in a good way, if you have such options, use them.

Edited by tabarin

2 hours ago, ajarnmarc said:

The post was going so good and even had a hint of humor along the way,

then you came in and had to bash the trend, yeah...

The requirements are always changing, and before you get started, 

whether or not that applies to a marriage extension or not, 

it is still good to verify and look at all the options which could appear, yes? 

I don't know many people who want to waste time with IO doing the process anyway, 

but correctly, do you?

It's never a good idea to go in and try to wing it, it just pisses off the IO processing things, 

in which he/she will just create more obstacles for the applicant to have to maneuver through, 

as any logical government official is prone to at least consider doing.

After all they want their boring job to be as easy as possible.

Oh dry your eyes out you old queen, and get a life. The OP took it in good spirit so butt your nose out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DumbFalang said:

Really? - I did not know that. Very interesting...

Unlike monthly income, normally, Immigration doesn't get involved into inquiring where a 400,000 bank deposit is funded from when it comes to marriage extensions of stay.  They just want to see documentation of the deposit in the required amount for the required timeframes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DumbFalang said:

The farm belongs to my wife...... and it's a black hole where all my hard earned income goes ???? 

Dear DumbFalang,

Have you thought about asking your wife to make a 400k loan against the farm, then you can deposit that money in the bank. If you thought about it early enough, you could have done so for this extension, but it's too late now. But, you can still do the loan, put the money in the bank and apply for a 90-day non O visa and start over. Then, after 2 mths seasoning, you can apply for your marriage extension. Once it's approved, you can pay back loan. Then, you can try to save up for next year so you won't have this problem again. Just a thought.

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Like 1

I'm in a similar situation, don't have the 400K and can't seem to prove my income very easily. Certainly, doing so would be a major headache. All told I think going the multi Non O route and taking a short holiday every 3 months is far preferable these days to dealing with immigration for the extension and 90-days reports and TM30 nonsense. 

• Like 2

Just now, Quack said:

I'm in a similar situation, don't have the 400K and can't seem to prove my income very easily. Certainly, doing so would be a major headache. All told I think going the multi Non O route and taking a short holiday every 3 months is far preferable these days to dealing with immigration for the extension and 90-days reports and TM30 nonsense. 

....and so say all of us.

I forgot to mention that my daughter just started work for an international airline and we get 90% discount on flights worldwide starting soon. Looking forward to flapping our wings a bit - marriage visa or not.

• Like 1

FWIW, Last month (July) I used an agent to change a tourist visa to a Non-O based on retirement using the ฿800,000 in the bank method.  Everything was done at Changwattana.

Contrary to what other people are saying here (and it may be different for a visa based on marriage), I WAS required to present documentation from Bangkok Bank showing that the ฿800,000 deposited in my account came from OUTSIDE Thailand.

YMMV

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Once you get your current immigration status sorted, you should consider setting up a company to be self-employed by. It doesn't cost much. If you retain an accountant, there's no need to make fake, possibly illegal statements of income either. Having an auditable paper trail comes in handy if/when the tax man comes calling but the bonus is being able to prove source of income easier.

Failing that, move away from the tortuous immigration fiefdom that Chiang Mai has become.

Any further information on setting up a company to be self employed - with presumably a work permit and no other employees?

How does that work?

4 hours ago, DumbFalang said:

26 years of marriage, 4 kids with Thai passports and 12 years of extensions means nothing to Thai Immigration.

isnt that  just disgusting! really  talk about splitting up  families, Uk does it also but then it was  rampantly abused by Indian/pakistanis during 60'70's

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Contrary to what other people are saying here (and it may be different for a visa based on marriage), I WAS required to present documentation from Bangkok Bank showing that the ฿800,000 deposited in my account came from OUTSIDE Thailand.

It is required for the 1st step, converting the TV entry, to that of a Non-Imm-O. It is not required to make the retirement extension, second step.

Edited by jacko45k

7 minutes ago, DumbFalang said:

....and so say all of us.

I forgot to mention that my daughter just started work for an international airline and we get 90% discount on flights worldwide starting soon. Looking forward to flapping our wings a bit - marriage visa or not.

Dear DumbFalang,

Have you thought about asking your wife to make a 400k loan against the farm, then you can deposit that money in the bank. If you thought about it early enough, you could have done so for this extension, but it's too late now. But, you can still do the loan, put the money in the bank and apply for a 90-day non O visa and start over. Then, after 2 mths seasoning, you can apply for your marriage extension. Once it's approved, you can pay back the loan. Then, you can try to save up for next year so you won't have this problem again. Just a thought

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

More likely it was required for the 1st step, converting the TV entry, to that of a Non-Imm-O. It is not required for the retirement extension, second step.

Ok...thanks.  If I encounter anything different I’ll make a post about it.

40 minutes ago, DumbFalang said:

Local families rely on the farm for employment - we have their welfare to think about too.

pity their countrymen in govt dont see it  that way also as they try to turf you "bad  guy"  out

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chazar said:

isnt that  just disgusting! really  talk about splitting up  families, Uk does it also but then it was  rampantly abused by Indian/pakistanis during 60'70's

Hey - let's not get started about UK immigration..... or any other country's immigration for that matter. <deleted> has happened to people in the last few decades? I used to be just embarrassed to be British - these days I'm embarrassed to be human!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just as I was looking forward to a trip to Saigon, I fired up Google Maps to find out exactly where Savannakhet was, and to my joy, it is just across the river from Sakon Nakorn. Well, we have grandkids in Sakon and we'd love to visit them and treat them to pizza down at Robinsons. A quick bus ride across the border to Savannakhet, promise the wife 3 beers instead of her usual allowance of 2 and I think we could be good.

You guys have been awesome with your help and turned a really stressful time into a bit of fun. All that remains is for me to convince the wife to take some time off and enjoy a trip away for a few days.

• Like 2