If denied entry, is the visa also canceled?

I am considering taking a direct flight from Yangon to Chiang Mai airport with an ED visa, and maybe a tourist visa on future trips. We don't have much data on Chiang Mai airport immigration here so there is high uncertainty as to the chance of success.

• If the ED visa is canceled upon denial by the officer then it would be disasterous and probably not worth the risk compared to a longer but safer land border crossing.
  • However if they just detain me, force me to buy a ticket, and I go back to Yangon with my ED visa in tact then it wouldn't be that big of an inconvenience as I could then use the land crossing fallback.

Which one is it? I assume the visa would be totally cancelled, otherwise the backup scenario I mention would probably be commonplace.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration do not cancel visas when a entry is denied. They do not have the authority to do it.

Do you know if they take your belongings if/when they detain you?

If I'm in a cell for a day with my laptop and AIS 4G I'll be okay. WIthout that though, it would make rescheduling a route back into the country harder. And of course the detainment would be much worse as well.

Forgot to also ask, do they stamp the reason for denial in the passport? Will that stamp make it hard to pass through on another attempt? I assume any officer who sees a denial will automatically look for reasons to deny entry again.

On 8/30/2019 at 7:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration do not cancel visas when a entry is denied. They do not have the authority to do it.

How do you explain people getting denied entry and the red VOID stamp on top of the visa in the passport?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

How do you explain people getting denied entry and the red VOID stamp on top of the visa in the passport?

Can you post where that has occurred. When denied entry somewhere like DM, they make remark reason for denied entry. Its always same reason...no sufficient funds. The visa remains valid.

The void stamp on a visa cannot be done at passport control. That happens at consulates where the issue visa and also stamp void. Been common in PP for some time and now Saigon doing it esp for ed visa.

Edited by DrJack54

23 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Forgot to also ask, do they stamp the reason for denial in the passport? Will that stamp make it hard to pass through on another attempt? I assume any officer who sees a denial will automatically look for reasons to deny entry again.

Assuming your denied entry at airport bkk your visa would still be valid. You would then enter at border crossing with your valid visa. 

On 8/30/2019 at 7:12 PM, Hal65 said:

However if they just detain me, force me to buy a ticket, and I go back to Yangon with my ED visa in tact then it wouldn't be that big of an inconvenience as I could then use the land crossing fallback.

Assuming you need a visa to enter Myanmar, you would not be returned to Yangon. Depending on the airline you use to fly to Chiang Mai, you might have flexibility. The airline does not want the expense of removing you from Thailand without reimbursement. If you know your rights, you can probably convince the airline to fly you to a destination (perhaps Kuala Lumpur) where you will be admitted without a visa.

As @ubonjoe has told you, your visa (issued by Ministry of Foreign Affairs consular staff) will not be cancelled by Immigration (part of the Ministry of Interior).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Assuming you need a visa to enter Myanmar, you would not be returned to Yangon. Depending on the airline you use to fly to Chiang Mai, you might have flexibility. The airline does not want the expense of removing you from Thailand without reimbursement. If you know your rights, you can probably convince the airline to fly you to a destination (perhaps Kuala Lumpur) where you will be admitted without a visa.

As @ubonjoe has told you, your visa (issued by Ministry of Foreign Affairs consular staff) will not be cancelled by Immigration (part of the Ministry of Interior).

That's a big call Tim. Not saying your wrong but most folk being denied entry are not in position to select where they wish to be flown to.

11 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I have heard of Embassies/Consulates stamping 'Void' on a Visa they have issued, and heard of Immigration Officers at border points refuse entry to people with valid visas , as they are empowered to do. But not doing both. In fact plenty of reports of people who were denied entry, who after being returned to point of origin, then using the same visa and managing to enter at a land crossing. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

@jacko45k In what circumstances would someone even go back to an embassy to give them a chance to stamp void on a visa?

Seems the only reason you would do that... is if you actually wanted and applied for a different visa in which the VOID stamp would benefit you.

39 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

@jacko45k In what circumstances would someone even go back to an embassy to give them a chance to stamp void on a visa?

Seems the only reason you would do that... is if you actually wanted and applied for a different visa in which the VOID stamp would benefit you.

You not have to go back for the VOID stamp!

You become the void stamp, when the embassy/Consulate accepts your documents.. then they put a VISA sticker in your passport. THen a Senior or someone higher rank has to approve the visa sticker. If that not happens, then the Visa would be stamped VOID!

You could read many of this stories lately here.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

The way I read it, the consulate in Phnon Phen were doing this, but stamping it void on issuance. Maybe to justify keeping the fee. 

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The way I read it, the consulate in Phnon Phen were doing this, but stamping it void on issuance. Maybe to justify keeping the fee. 

Correct. In some countries, when applications for visas are denied, this has been standard practice for many years. An example is India where your application is not done directly at the Thai embassy, but through VFS Global that acts as an intermediary.

• Like 1