UK finance minister 'livid' at PM Johnson over firing of aide - media

rooster59

UK finance minister 'livid' at PM Johnson over firing of aide - media

2019-08-30T205758Z_1_LYNXNPEF7T1ON_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-LEADER.JPG

Britain's new Chancellor Sajid Javid speaks to the media as he arrives at the treasury in London, Britain, July 24, 2019. Matt Dunham/Pool via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - British finance minister Sajid Javid has challenged Prime Minister Boris Johnson over the dismissal of an aide by Johnson's top advisor which has caused tension between the government's two most powerful men, media said.

The Financial Times said on Friday that Javid was "livid" about the firing on Thursday of his press aide by Dominic Cummings, who was looking into whether government officials had helped opponents of Johnson's Brexit plans.

"He's absolutely furious," the newspaper quoted a colleague of Javid's as saying. "He doesn’t consider the matter closed."

Javid had not threatened to resign but his relationship with Johnson had been compromised, the FT said.

Other newspapers also reported tensions between Javid and Johnson over the dismissal and other incidents which came as Britain's government is preparing for Brexit on Oct. 31 and is trying to move ahead with a new domestic agenda too.

Javid is due to announce a one-year government spending plan on Wednesday with a focus on more funding for education, health and the police. Johnson announced details of the increase in schools spending on Friday.

Earlier this week, a speech that Javid planned to give to outline his economic programme was cancelled at short notice.

An official in Johnson's office said he could not comment about any meeting between the two men on Friday but said they were working closely on a series of policies.

"I have not seen a hint of any difference between them on those issues," the official said.

No one was immediately available for comment at the finance ministry.

(Writing by William Schomberg; Editing by Marguerita Choy)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-31
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Victornoir said:

Always the same with the extremes, they argue with other, then they hun them, and then they argue with each other.
At last, they are hunted in turn.

Could you try that again, in English please.

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No, we are talking about someone being sacked on assumptions and not evidence she had leaked anything. 

We are talking about someone being pilloried as a traitor by posters who have no such evidence. 

We are talking about the influence of cummings in this no deal govt. 

No we are talking about someone losing trust and to be on the safe side she has been relieved of her duties. She may be innocent, but you have said yourself, she may not, it's just not worth the gamble. Collateral damage.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

I said she might not be honest, but that is how I feel about her entire no deal brexit bosses (ex) as well. There is absolutely no evidence she leaked any secrets or is a “traitor”.

I have at no time said she is not innocent of the accusations cummings made.

As far as I am concerned, without clear evidence to the contrary, she is innocent in this case. 

Accusing and dismissing people from their jobs based on assumptions, is that what we can all expect under brexitocracy?

We could debate about this till the cows come home, I appreciate you will never agree with anything I say. But I can only repeat that an operation of the Brexit magnitude doesn't need someone working on it that may not have trust of her fellow colleagues, we all know how dirty politics can become at that level. Better safe than sorry.

40 minutes ago, evadgib said:

- How was a private device allowed that close to the PM & No 10?

That is a really good question.

I won't go into details regarding the security measures on the location in question, but I can verify that pretty much everything has been done to prevent information from leaking out of the building unaudited. But private devices are still allowed. One of the few options available if you want to steal information and share it externally is to use a camera, and mobile phones have REALLY good cameras nowadays....

So YES, that is a REALLY good question.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

She has the trust of the minister she worked for. 

There is absolutely no evidence she leaked any information. 

Better basing decisions on evidence and nothing else. 

You are not reading what I wrote, I never said she leaked any information, maybe only herself knows this this, we were not there. If in doubt get her out. Now I shall prerogue myself from this conversation as it is going nowhere.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

There's more to this than meets the eye. In the topic I read she was taken outside by police and her government pass has also been taken.

They don't do that unless someone had done something that wasn't correct.

They don't do that unless someone is suspected of doing something that wasn't correct.

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

- How was a private device allowed that close to the PM & No 10?

I've certainly had a private device as well as an official one when in the presence of the PM and other Secretaries of State including the Home Sec, and never have I been asked to hand either in.

Whilst I've never been in No 10, per se, I've been in COBRA meetings which are held in the Cabinet Office which is the back entrance to No 10, never been searched or asked to hand in a personal mobile, not sure that a security guard would know the difference between a private and an official phone, they're not marked as such.

• Like 2