Retox Lengkee - no more baht buster breakfast

topt

For those of you who ate there I was told today that tomorrow will be the last day they serve the 99 baht breakfast. 

Not only that but the bar will run out of the steel container and they will give up the main building - not sure when that happens.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did start the "Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent" thread.

Some posts discussed that quality and choice could be effected here in the future, for example, no specials being offered, like the baht buster breakfast, in this case.

I never considered downsizing would be a way to survive in the current conditions, but it is possible, and whilst downsizing can reduce expenses, it doesn't bring western tourists to Thailand / Pattaya. 

There's only so much you can downsize, before the realization that a downsized establishment is not a viable business also. 

11 hours ago, fforest1 said:

They sell loads and loads of 99 Baht breakfast I am not sure I believe this..

Selling loads and loads of a certain product with a small loss, doesn't create a profit at the end of the day.

I was informed, by someone who can know, several months ago already that Retox are having difficult financial times.

46 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Selling loads and loads of a certain product with a small loss, doesn't create a profit at the end of the day.

Likewise, selling only a few of a certain product, but at high profit margins, can only work for so long.

Thai Economics 101:  "Money go down, put price up." 

26 minutes ago, barmatt said:

Cheap Charlies breakfast is way better.

Tried it once after it opened. Not bad but it was just too hot in there. One of the main benefits, to me anyhow, of Retox Lengkee was that it had air con.

12 hours ago, fforest1 said:

They sell loads and loads of 99 Baht breakfast I am not sure I believe this..

Try going there tomorrow, or any day next week, for the 99 baht breakfast and find out for yourself. 

19 minutes ago, topt said:

Tried it once after it opened. Not bad but it was just too hot in there. One of the main benefits, to me anyhow, of Retox Lengkee was that it had air con.

True about aircon benefits at retox. I always get a table under the fan at CC and its usually in the mornings, so the heat hasnt peaked yet.

In the past four months, Retox has definitely been down on business the 10 or so times I've been in there around noontime. Maybe 4 or 5 tables with 1-3 customers each. Never seen it so empty, even in the "low season." The street was also not very busy except for vehicle traffic. Lots of other empty restaurants on Lengkee too.

If Retox can't make it, what chance have others? 

1 hour ago, ThePioneer said:

I was informed, by someone who can know, several months ago already that Retox are having difficult financial times.

Well the problem is because of a number if different reasons..

1....Western wages are not keeping up with forever rising taxes and rents...

2....The currency exchange rates have been going from bad to worse....

3....Retox is loosing a tidy sum every month by not renting out their rooms any more...

4...Visas for the under 50s just keep getting harder and harder for long stays so the young are not replacing the old....

5 ....Indians and Chinese just dont do sports bars....

6....Retox expanded fast thinking the good times would keep rolling....

7....New competition from cheap Soi Bukow restaurants....

I stopped going there after getting kicked out of the place last NFL season.

Got the 99 breakfast, a water, and an extra coffee. Paid the bill and even left a 30 b tip.

Was done eating by halftime, and the older manager Thai lady asked me if I was going to order anything else.

I said no thanks and she said then I would have to leave.

There were other tables open she just had a problem for some reason.

I guess I could have ordered another water, but went someplace else to watch the end of the game and have not returned since.

Retox Sports Bar (Soi Lengkee)

After some of the speculation over the last few days (some true some not) I feel it is the appropriate time to give out the full and correct information I have available up to yet.

It is with regret that we have to inform our customers that we are having to move the Retox Soi Lengkee bar due to issues with the current Rental agreement for the building. Fortunately we are only moving next door into the beer garden and a new bar will be built so disruption will be minimal.

As of the today (1st September) we will be closed between the hours of 8am-4pm for the foreseeable future to allow work to commence on the bar and beer garden. Thus meaning we will discontinue the complete breakfast menu (including the baht buster) for the time being until we can get fully operational and open again for the breakfast menu (evening menu 4pm onwards will be available as normal).

Fortunately we will be able to honor all room bookings after the 1st September at Retox Game On (Soi Honey) if any of you would still wish to stay with the Retox. So please if you have booked in with us keep this in mind and we will provide transport around the corner to Game On if you arrive at Retox Soi Lengkee.

We plan to invest money into the beer garden to freshen it up but again it will be slowly implemented during our closed hours.

Sorry for the inconvenience to all of you, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

(more details to follow in the coming days)

Check out their FB page for latest information. 

After some of the speculation over the last few days (some true some not) feel it is the appropriate time to give out the full and correct information I have available up to yet.

It is with regret that we have to inform our customers that we are having to move the Retox Soi Lengkee bar due to issues with the current Rental agreement for the building. Fortunately we are only moving next door into the beer garden and a new bar will be built so disruption will be minimal.

As of the today (1st September) we will be closed between the hours of 8am-4pm for the foreseeable future to allow work to commence on the bar and beer garden. Thus meaning we will discontinue the complete breakfast menu (including the baht buster) for the time being until we can get fully operational and open again for the breakfast menu (evening menu 4pm onwards will be available as normal).

Fortunately we will be able to honor all room bookings after the 1st September at Retox Game On (Soi Honey) if any of you would still wish to stay with the Retox. So please if you have booked in with us keep this in mind and we will provide transport around the corner to Game On if you arrive at Retox Soi Lengkee.

We plan to invest money into the beer garden to freshen it up but again it will be slowly implemented during our closed hours.

Sorry for the inconvenience to all of you, and we look forward to seeing you soon."

10 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I for one am not bothered that a  footie bar is closing.  Too many sports bars. BTW The Hood does a good 99 baht breakfast with very nice staff. BTB Did the Robin Hood In the Avenue close down or change hands recently?

I believe the Robin Hood was taken back over again by Retox after the previous owner/manager exited stage left. From all reports the Robin Hood is back producing great food at good prices. Will be down that way in October for a few days so am looking forward to getting my fix of farang pub grub and sport.

I did see another comment from the Management that Retox Lengkee had a problem with their lease and they are currently taking over the building next door. They are using the down season to renovate so will be closed from 8am-4pm whilst that is being done.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

I believe the Robin Hood was taken back over again by Retox after the previous owner/manager exited stage left.

The way I heard it someone has bought it and Retox were helping out, without being part of the ownership. I recently tried it and things were OK, Friday Fish and Chips, weekend Carvery also recommended to me. What you talk of wrt Retox, Lengkee, I posted of recently, in fact the post just above yours.

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I believe the Robin Hood was taken back over again by Retox after the previous owner/manager exited stage left. From all reports the Robin Hood is back producing great food at good prices. Will be down that way in October for a few days so am looking forward to getting my fix of farang pub grub and sport.

I did see another comment from the Management that Retox Lengkee had a problem with their lease and they are currently taking over the building next door. They are using the down season to renovate so will be closed from 8am-4pm whilst that is being done.

They moved to that place after selling iRovers because of a rent increase.

They are just relocating their business to another place next door. The bahtbuster breakfast menu will be back in September. 

Retox are one of the few places in Pattaya actually earning money. So don't worry, the breakfast will be back. 

On 9/1/2019 at 11:21 PM, fforest1 said:

we are having to move the Retox Soi Lengkee bar due to issues with the current Rental agreement for the building.

It will be interesting to see how many Thai landlords keep the rent the same, or even offer some rent relief, in order to keep a tenant in place.

With businesses struggling here, any increase in rent could mean the end for many businesses.   

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

It will be interesting to see how many Thai landlords keep the rent the same, or even offer some rent relief, in order to keep a tenant in place.

With businesses struggling here, any increase in rent could mean the end for many businesses.   

You can understand how it works. The rent on a scruffy dilapidated Bua Khao shophouse is substantially cheaper than a fully renovated, developed and successful business .

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You can understand how it works. The rent on a scruffy dilapidated Bua Khao shophouse is substantially cheaper than a fully renovated, developed and successful business .

In the past, even the scruffy Bua Khao shop house had a few customers, not so these days.  Not because customers prefer more pleasant surroundings, but because there is simply less of the western customer base in Pattaya / Thailand now. 

This is something a Thai landlord would understand, but wouldn't care about. 

A small increase in rent on a scruffy shop house on Bua Khao could still see it close. 

On 9/2/2019 at 3:02 PM, balo said:

They are just relocating their business to another place next door. The bahtbuster breakfast menu will be back in September. 

Retox are one of the few places in Pattaya actually earning money. So don't worry, the breakfast will be back. 

This is information from one of the owners/backers or just your opinion?

The breakfast may come back but personally I don't think it will be at 99 baht. Happy to be proved wrong :thumbsup:

Archived