One Way Tickets

I have recently been refused boarding on a flight from London to Bangkok because I had a one way ticket. It never occured to me to get a return as I have lived in Thailand 9 years and have a wife and child here. I usually get returns but on this trip back to UK I went one way and sorted a ticket back from there. I have heard of back packers buying one ways and getting their onward ticket in Bangkok but it seems maybe I was just unlucky. The only way I was allowed to get on the plane was to buy an onward ticket immediately showing I was leaving Thailand within 30 days. So I had to get a ticket costing 50 pounds to KL. My young son who was travelling with me was OK as he had a Thai passport. This whole fiasco took 2 and a half hours and we had to srint to the plane to just make it.

Has anyone else had a experience like this when travelling on a one way ticket into Bangkok?

You could always follow up the incident with a letter to the airline, see what kind of response it generates. You may get some sort of future discount certificate from them or they may just blow you off with some token response.

I sent a letter straight away and recieved a reply stating that I should always get a return ticket, which is not always practical especially if one will not be returning within a year to where you left from. In future I will either get a return ticket or an onward ticket to show that I will be leaving the country within 30 days. Infact with some of these cheaper airlines (Airasia etc) it is possible to book a cheap one way out from Bangkok to KL or even Penang and show the check in staff this. Even if it is not used it is one way to possibly over come this.

I would write another letter to Garuda with some backup documentation regarding one-way tickets and Thai visas, ultimately suggesting that if they cannot get their act together over the actual requirements, you'll be forced to make your future travel arrangements with another carrier. :o

There have been a lot of threads about this, and a lot of informed yet differing responses. A poster called froggy had this problem but hasn't been heard from since he left Canada.

I had the same in Oz with Thai airlines, but managed to bluff my way on board by talking to the supervisor and promising (truthfully) that I had a return ticket to heathrow back in Thailand. She beleived me after checking out my passport for my previous visits, but it was touch and go.

I still maintain the safest way is to buy the cheapest ticket out of los that you can and take it to checkin with you.

Oops! The last time I was in Bangkok, I bought a roundtrip ticket to LA through Narita in Japan on ANA. I was planning to buy another roundtrip ticket in Bangkok, but since I actually live in Japan, I wonder if I will be denied boarding on my return Narita to Bangkok leg until I buy a ticket leaving Thailand. What do you think? :o

Yes, I had a NON IMM B visa

A one-way ticket shouldn't have been a problem then. Which airline were you flying?

They should have allowed a visa holder to travel on a one way ticket. That Froggy had trouble with Thai Inter with a visa and a one way ticket, even though the Thai Embassy in Canada and a Consulate there confirmed that with a visa, he could travel on a one way ticket.

See what Garuda has to say.

If they still do not accept that they are wrong, then I suggest two more letters:

Tourist Authority of Thailand

The Bangkok Post & the Nation

Sorry, that is three letters.

If this is allowed to be a general policy then all of us who live here will have trouble returning to our Thai homes.

For anyone who finds this situation when travelling,

DEMAND to see the Station Manager of the airline at once.

He is the boss in the country you are leaving and should be able to sort the matter out for you.

Edited by astral

Hi Guys!

It's unbeleivable to see that an Airline company can be powerfull than the Immigration Authority of Thailand!

We're facing a serious confusion about the requirement of a return or onward ticket, even if we have a Visa and all the possible confirmations from Consulates and Embassies of Thailand!

It's gonna make nearly 2 months that I'm defending my rights with Thai Airways and what I've got, is a Virus in my mailbox from Thai Airways customer services! :o (I have a Mac so they better work hard!) :D

I'm gonna leave Canada for Thailand in August with a One Way ticket I think!

I will take the chance because the Royal Thai Consulates I've contacted, clearly mentionned to Me that if Thai Airways refuse Me, it will be a scandall! :D

I've tried to contact directly by fax the Minister of Foreign Affairs in Thailand to explain this situation!

No answers for now!

Now I'm waiting some help from the Canadian Embassy in BKK!

If they can't do something to assure that I will not have troubles with Thai Airways with a One Way ticket and a Visa, the next step is the Bangkok Post and The Nation.

I'm seriously tired to see that even if we have confirmations from Thai Consulates and Embassies, some Airline Companies play a game to sell tickets by pressure!

If there's realy a regulations between the Immigration Authority and Airline Companies to require a return or onward ticket even if we have a Visa, I think that someone didn't do his job because no Consulates and Embassies of Thailand knows about it in Canada!

So they will have to clarify this for sure!

If someone got the confirmation from a Thai Consulate or Embassy in their country that with a Visa, no return and onward ticket is required, I will realy appreciate if You can tell me wich one confirmed this because I will do a list of all the Thai Consulates and Embassies around the world to proove that we're facing a serious Confusion and that it's the time to clarify all this!

Good Luck Guys!

Together, we can clarify this!

Froggy

I think it is the luck of the draw........

Most often I have a one way ticket to the realm. I have never had a problem with an airline (and that includes many airlines) and I have never had a problem at immigration on my arrival in Thailand.

I have though experienced problems going to other countries.

I even had to undergo some serious questioning a few weeks back when going back to the land of my birth (and which I stll have nationality of) why are you coming back to *** and why do you stay in Thailand. I showed the fat bit*h a foto of my wife and told her this is why I stay in Thailand.

If I never had pussy again in my life I would not have looked twice at this fat wh8re at immigration in "my country"

I have recently been refused boarding on a flight from London to Bangkok because I had a one way ticket. It never occured to me to get a return as I have lived in Thailand 9 years and have a wife and child here. I usually get returns but on this trip back to UK I went one way and sorted a ticket back from there. I have heard of back packers buying one ways and getting their onward ticket in Bangkok but it seems maybe I was just unlucky. The only way I was allowed to get on the plane was to buy an onward ticket immediately showing I was leaving Thailand within 30 days. So I had to get a ticket costing 50 pounds to KL. My young son who was travelling with me was OK as he had a Thai passport. This whole fiasco took 2 and a half hours and we had to srint to the plane to just make it.

Has anyone else had a experience like this when travelling on a one way ticket into Bangkok?

All airlines now require international passengers to have a return or onward ticket.

Source-----FlightCentre ( Australia ) 07/06/2004. I asked this question while booking a flight with Cathay Pacific through Hong kong to Bangkok.

I have recently been refused boarding on a flight from  London to Bangkok because I had a one way ticket. It never occured to me to get a return as I have lived in Thailand 9 years and have a wife and child here. I usually get returns but on this trip back to UK I went one way and sorted a ticket back from there. I have heard of back packers buying one ways and getting their onward ticket in Bangkok but it seems maybe I was just unlucky. The only way I was allowed to get on the plane was to buy an onward ticket immediately showing I was leaving Thailand within 30 days. So I had to get a ticket costing 50 pounds to KL. My young son who was travelling with me was OK as he had a Thai passport. This whole fiasco took 2 and a half hours and we had to srint to the plane to just make it.

All airlines now require international passengers to have a return or onward ticket.

Source-----FlightCentre ( Australia ) 07/06/2004. I asked this question while booking a flight with Cathay Pacific through Hong kong to Bangkok.

Whilst I appreciate that this is what Flight Centre have told you, I am reluctant to believe that this is the case. Anyone have any contacts within Thai immigration who can actually clear this matter up? I guess that it is possible that the rules have been changed, but surely this information would have been made widely available to Thai Embassies and Consulates worldwide and not just a select few airlines and travel agents.

Froggy,

I went to the Thai consulate in Cardiff for a visa a few years ago. They asked me how long I wished to stay in Thailand and I said 3 weeks. They then told me that I did not require a visa. I replied that I did not have an onward ticket and they told me that I was right and in this case I would require a visa to enter Thailand. Fairly dated I know, so maybe their policy has changed, but I doubt it as I have friends who regularly fly to Thailand on one way tickets with Visas from this consulate. Would appreciate it if you didn't mention this consulate in any correspondents as they are good to me and I wouldn't like someone from above to make them tighten up their procedures,

Konangrit

Everyone must be sick of answering questions re Visas! Well here's another one!

I am in my 2nd year of a Non-Immig "O" visa (retirement) which is up for renewal on 2.1.2005. I recently married a Thai citizen and now wish to apply for a SuppThaiWife classification with 200,000 in the bank, due to change to 400,000 on July 9, 2004.

I've been told by CM Immig that I cannot apply for the STW Visa until 1 month before the expiration of the current visa. Is this correct please? I was then told I would be given a 1 month extension of my current visa to allow for the 4 month process to take place! Do they extend me a month at a time? Of course this then excludes me from qualifying for the 200 thou and will have to find 400! Did I hear correct, and if not can you please give me an e-mail address of the head office of Thai Immig Bureau so as I can take the matter up with them? Regards. ROD.

I've been told by CM Immig that I cannot apply for the STW Visa until 1 month before the expiration of the current visa. Is this correct please? I was then told I would be given a 1 month extension of my current visa to allow for the 4 month process to take place!

Yes.

Everyone must be sick of answering questions re Visas!   Well here's another one!

I am in my 2nd year of a Non-Immig "O" visa (retirement) which is up for renewal on 2.1.2005.  I recently married a Thai citizen and now wish to apply for a SuppThaiWife classification with 200,000 in the bank, due to change to 400,000 on July 9, 2004.

I've been told by CM Immig that I cannot apply for the STW Visa until 1 month before the expiration of the current visa.  Is this correct please?  I was then told I would be given a 1 month extension of my current visa to allow for the 4 month process to take place!

yes, that is true in most cases

I was then told I would be given a 1 month extension of my current visa to allow for the 4 month process to take place!  
don't look at july 9th as the magical date. many members report that they are already being asked to show 400K in a thai bank for an extension based on support
Anyone have any contacts within Thai immigration who can actually clear this matter up?

when coming to thailand as a tourist, play it safe and have a visa and a return ticket when departing or be at the mercy of your airlines.