Replacing visa extn with new Non O

If you have an 1 year visa extn based on marriage that expires in 3 months time

and you don't have the foreign bank transfers into a Thai bank to apply again so you decide to get a new Non O from Savannakhet or HCM and apply 2 months before the visa extn date ends. 

Will you get a new 1 year ME Non O from the date of application or will it be given a start date the day after your visa extn ends.

If from date of application I presume the visa extn is cancelled?

35 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Visas are date of application/processing by the Consulate.  Extension ends on departure - only can be used again if you have a re-entry permit and time remaining.

So in effect there would be the new visa and the extn running concurrently until the extn expired if you stayed in situ.

1 minute ago, Andycoops said:

So in effect there would be the new visa and the extn running concurrently until the extn expired if you stayed in situ.

Your extension would end on the date you left the country. It would no longer be valid unless you used a re-entry permit when you entered the country after getting the non-o visa.

13 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

You have used the Visa to enter Thailand and it can serve no other practical purpose. (Presuming it is a Single Entry), You were given a 90 day Permit to stay based upon it. You previous extension is cancelled if you leave without a re-entry permit.

At immigration you would next be applying for an extension of stay of that 90 day permission to stay.  The extension is for 1 year. You would need a re-entry permit to retain that extension if you wish to leave Thailand. I hope I understood correctly.

Edited by jacko45k

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your extension would end on the date you left the country. It would no longer be valid unless you used a re-entry permit when you entered the country after getting the non-o visa.

When leaving to get new Non O multi entry based on marriage using a 're entry permit on the existing Non O extn. 

And obtaining such prior to the extn expiring, as I read it you would have the new Non O from date of application for 1 year running concurrently until the extn expired. 

E.g existing extn expires 30th Nov.

Obtain new Non O 30th Sept.

There for 2 months concurrent.

22 hours ago, Andycoops said:

If you have an 1 year visa extn based on marriage that expires in 3 months time

You don't have a one year visa extension. The visa was used to enter the country and by now is deceased. Visas cannot be extended, renewed or taught to do magic tricks.

You have, apparently, an extension of your permission to stay in Thailand.

If you leave Thailand without a valid re-entry permit, when you attempt to return, that permission to stay will cease to exist.

Do you really have no evidence of an income of at least Baht 40,000 a month during the twelve months prior to the need to extend? If you're legally working in Thailand that can be used.

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

You don't have a one year visa extension. The visa was used to enter the country and by now is deceased. Visas cannot be extended, renewed or taught to do magic tricks.

If you leave Thailand without a valid re-entry permit, when you attempt to return, that permission to stay will cease to exist.

Do you really have no evidence of an income of at least Baht 40,000 a month during the twelve months prior to the need to extend? If you're legally working in Thailand that can be used.

8 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You would have an unused visa losing its validity time.  Not needed and not used. 

I understand fully that the new Non O would only serve for 10 months.

2 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I understand fully that the new Non O would only serve for 10 months.

Which begs the question why not enter using it for a 90 day stay rather than use a reentry permit for only 60 days?  A multi entry visa can be used as many times as you wish during the validity of the visa and each use gets a new up to 90 day stay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I do have a 1 year extn based on marriage and I have had one for several years under the income letter process.

As the banking codes are continually changing (using TransferWise) upon showing my bank deposits in my passbook the IB have said I don't qualify under the new rules. 

Hence the option of getting a new marriage based Non O sooner rather than later incase there is a change prior to my current extn lapsing.

are you asking to exit a couple months prior to expiration of your current extension WITH  a re-entry permit?

and then go to the consulate to get another visa, while the extension is still active?

and then use the re-entry permit to re-enter under the current extension, while also having a new, unused visa in your passport?

then what?  exit again to kill the current extension (if you only had a single entry permit) and return using the new visa?

50 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I do have a 1 year extn based on marriage and I have had one for several years

Yes, quite possibly you do, but those have been extensions of your permission to stay not, as you originally claimed, extensions of your non Imm o visa.

At times the distinction between a visa and a permission to stay may be unimportant when asking a question and other times when the distinction can be important. As someone else said, you use a visa to enter Thailand subject to immigration approval) , but your presence in the country is determined by the permission given you by immigrations. That permission can be extended. A visa cannot. 

Edited by Suradit69

On 9/4/2019 at 4:07 AM, Andycoops said:

When leaving to get new Non O multi entry based on marriage using a 're entry permit on the existing Non O extn. 

And obtaining such prior to the extn expiring, as I read it you would have the new Non O from date of application for 1 year running concurrently until the extn expired. 

E.g existing extn expires 30th Nov.

Obtain new Non O 30th Sept.

There for 2 months concurrent.

It is more about how the IO will respond when you enter Thailand. The TM6 asks for a visa number and normally you would put the re-entry permit No if you have one.

With both a visa and a re-entry permit there is a good possibility that the IO will see the visa first and stamp it, once that happened there would be very little chance of going back.

If you did manage to enter on the re-entry permit that would not mean the 2 were concurrent as the visa would not have been utilised, permission to stay would be based on the extension. At the end of the extension you would need to leave and re-enter to activate the visa, bearing in mind the overall validity would have been reduced by 2 months.

• Like 1