Yamaha Nouvo Or Honda Air Blade?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Nouvo is a good bike. but I find the design of the Elegance just horrible (color composition etc.).

I have now the Airblade Phoenix Edition in dark grey/black. And it drives just great!

I think the Nouvo is a good bike. but I find the design of the Elegance just horrible (color composition etc.).

I have now the Airblade Phoenix Edition in dark grey/black. And it drives just great!

Yep....the Airblades do that. They do drive great. At first I did not care for the color compositions of the Airblades when they first came out and they were not up to the Nouvos, but now there's some great attractive color combinations for the Airblade. I like the dark red models for example. The new Nouvos don't have their colors down. Knowing Yamaha this will change and knowing Honda they will have a bigger Airblade to compete with the 135 cc. Nouvo. As it is the Airblades, the 115 c.c. Nouvos and of course the new 135 cc. models all have the power necessary for driving in places such as Pattaya so it's all a matter of personal preference.

But just two hours ago, I drove a big Norwegian pal of mine to Dophin Circle so he could pick up a baht taxi to take him to a place to pick up his Nouvo rental. Guy's about 215 pounds now. The Nouvo handled it just fine. It in situations like this where the Mios, Finos, and Clicks are going to fall short.

You pay for what you get so much of the time...

Thank you jackcorbett for your very detailed and informative post! :D I think you have reminded me of all the reasons why I was going to buy the new Nouvo in the first place, and then had second thoughts when I saw the colour schemes and design! But the things I don't like are all cosmetic - the two colour seats, sharply angled side panels and "alien" looking front. So I'll be getting the black/grey one with the mag wheels.

I was wondering if anyone has tried fitting a basket inside the front for extra storage. I've had a look at the web site and the old Nouvo MX has a standard basket available for 110 baht:

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/Accessory/View.aspx?GroupID=6 - at end of third row

But no such option for the new one:

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/Accessory/View.aspx?GroupID=14

Thanks also HDRIDER, LivinLOS and moo9 for your comments. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the design is pretty strange/awful, but agree it's a great bike.

Now I just have to sort out the tabien baan, photo and all the rest of the paperwork... :o

Just took a trip down Sukamvit Road on my 115 cc. Nouvo with two of my buddies driving their 125 cc. Honda Waves. I noticed them lagging behind me. Later on one of my friends and I drove back to Naklua together, once again on Sukamvit. The Nouvo felt pretty strong, and I have no doubt it could keep up with traffic in the fast lane. Anyway, I'd keep asking Gus to race, to see which bike could accelerate faster and I kept pulling away from him. Later on he said, the Honda Wave would ultimately catch me but that the Nouvo was faster in acceleration to a certain point. Also that he would have to really rev the Wave up, but with no tach, he might be overreving. Normally through city traffic Gus is an excellent driver and he will zip in and out of it more adroitly than I will. But when it came to running along Sukamvit Road yesterday, that Nouvo of mine was a much better performer than his Wave.

My personal feeling is the Nouvo has been tweaked by Yamaha to give it a lot of power on tap at all times but compared to the Wave it would suffer in fuel economy accordingly. Sure, if you punch a Wave out to red line all the time, it might offer more power, but once again in real world driving conditions it is quite easy to find the power in a Nouvo

Well having both bikes I say theres no way you can say the power is similar.

First this to remember is that the banded auto system steals 20%+ of the bikes rated power to the rear wheel.. Its lower geared mind so that take off is acceptable but given a hill or top end its noticable. Even before the 20+% issue the Nuovo gives 8.77hp v 9.3 in a wave.. However once the drivetrain is taken in its more like 6 and a bit (almost 7) to 9 and (less) bit is my guess.

We have a really steep hill on the way to my house.. Nuovos simply can not get up the hill 2 up.. Even one up they need a good run up and are conking out in the last 10 20ft of the hill.. On a wave I can get up there two up from a standing start at the bottom. Get a Nuovo up to 100kph ?? A wave 125s (or i) has another 10 maybe 20 kph left to go (but your really pushing it then !!)

Other thing to note is how the engines age.. My missus rents them and people want the autos.. But after a year or two they are just dead engine power, time for a new engine / rebore.. Waves going 5 years old still fly along. That air cooled under powered Nuovo engine dies fast.

Should also be noted though that Phuket is hilly.. Plus I am 105+ Kg's.. I ride around with missus on the back and the nuovo basically just cant take that load on Phukets hills. Its really obvious the power difference in that environment.

Of course power isnt everything.. Live in a city and when are you doing >100 kph.. When are you going up 1 in 4 hills.. Theres lots of storage in the Nuovo etc. Just seeing them used as rentals they age and turn to dogs so fast, where the waves hold together for much longer lifespans.

The figure I've seen most often is 8.9 horsepower for the newer model 115 cc. Nouvo. Here's an article I've found interesting on infinitely variable transmissions. CVT transmissions

The hill up Ko Larn Island is pretty steep. I've rented Nouvos and finally an Airblade and had no problem getting up this baby on any of these bikes, riding two up. Now I am not about to suggest that a Nouvo or Airblade can go up any hill or that it will do what a manual will on a hill that is one step removed from a cliff. (I'd never drive my BMW street bikes up the farm drainage ditch sides I'd go up on my dirt bikes). But et me give you an example. For 23 years I lived on a farm. One of the pickup trucks I had was a four wheel drive 300 cubic inch six cylinder (the old Ford straight six). That truck would not go over 90 miles an hour. The 318 Dodge V-8 automatic I replaced it with would do 110 to 115 miles an hour. However, that old Ford straight six with a manual transmission had a low range and a high range and when you dropped it into low range, you could pull two wagons loaded with corn out of the field. Let's see....that was say over 600 bushels of corn at 56 pounds to the bushel . That's 33,600 pounds and that's without even fully loading the two wagons or adding in the weight of the wagons themselves. That old straight six coupled to a manual transmission could really do it in the field. But for all around use...that Dodge with that V-8 auto was a terrific all around machine back in those days. Mine was four wheel drive and it could still quite easily pull one wagon out of the field. I could drive it in the mountains of the American West, put the cruise control at 80 miles an hour, average 19 miles per gallon and have lots of power still on tap. I'd hate to still have it with today's high gasoline prices but that Dodge was a do it all machine. Its bucket seats, large interior, view of the road from up high, made it a much more comfortable vehicle than even say a BMW or Mercedes, it could handle deep snows, snow storms, large payloads such as hauling wagons out of the field. etc. May I suggest that bikes such as the Nouvo in driving conditions such as we experience here in Pattaya is the Dodge automatic all around machine for most of us considering what to buy in a bike?

I read an article on the new model 115 cc. Nouvo. This is not the new model 135 c.c. bike. And this is the model I have. Since the old Nouvo 115 c.c. model, Yamaha did a lot of tweaking of this engine to develop more usable power in the low to medium spectrum of the power band. They also eliminated the basket in front and added other changes to the bike.

As I've said many times in here before, if I lived in other areas of Thailand, where the driving conditions are unlike those I experience in Pattaya I would strongly consider other bikes.

It is possible that bikes differ with some being lemons and others exceeding the average. I've had mine up to 100 kph on Sukamvit...once. And I backed off in a hurry out of fear, fear of all the stupid drivers around me. But I had a lot left. My Nouvo flies. Now granted on a U.S. superhighway it's going to feel pretty deficient but even on Sukamvit I feel like I can accelerate around all the cars, even the fast moving ones. Also....I have over 10,000 kilometers on my machine without even a hint of overdo noise in the drive train or other problems and I've never encountered anyone who does not like his Nouvo or Air Blade. Or a single soul who's had problems with either one. Now, no one's I've talked to has gone close to 100,000 kilometers for instance and that might be another thing. But looking at my situation, say I get 20,000 kilometers out of it and then turn around and sell it for peanuts. I can still buy a new one for 53,000 baht and I will have gotten four years out of mine. That is just 13250 baht per year. I don't expect much in repair costs either. That's around $400 dollars per year or what a single visit to a dealership might cost for say a 30,000 mile checkup on a Mazda Miata sports car for instance.

Now, a Honda Wave might have 11 horsepower or whatever. But at what rpm level? I would expect that as you back off of redline or that point close to redline, that this power is going to drop off fast. And most drivers don't drive anywhere close to redline.

Edited by jackcorbett

have over 10,000 kilometers on my machine

One of the geared scooters we have is almost 60k kms !!

The rental nuovos are beat after 20k..

I guess its all personal preference.. Once out of city roads, I just loath that not in control, no engine braking, no downhill control, single speed RPM whine of the auto. Gear changing is unconscious activity to me, but without it I feel sort of missing a vital control to ride.

I guess its all personal preference.. Once out of city roads, I just loath that not in control, no engine braking, no downhill control, single speed RPM whine of the auto. Gear changing is unconscious activity to me, but without it I feel sort of missing a vital control to ride.

Can I pick your brains please?

My g/f wants a bike. She says she would be happy with a Mio or Click but I am inclined to get her something that might be safer i.e. more power and better brakes. The Honda combi brake looks like a real good idea. Greater mass also suggests more protection in a shunt. (or does that only apply to cars?).

Another consideration. Fuel consumption.

She wont be concerned about the cost, its pretty negligible anyway.

But, how big are the fuel tanks and how often do you have to refill?

I can see that the fuel access on the Airblade without lifting the seat is a good thing, but is there a penalty with a smaller tank and smaller range?

She thinks gas stations are dirty, unpleasant places, often manned by matching staff. :o The longest range possible would be a big factor to consider.

Got my bike yesterday - a black Nouvo 135. Very happy with it so far. I've barely ridden it - just went to the local wat today to get the usual blessing from the Buddha. Very easy to ride but incredibly noisy - not the bike, but the wind whooshing past my ears! :D I'd forgotten how noisy the wind can be and how hard bugs are at 50 kph :o .

I'll be riding slowly and gently to start with as I don't know whether you're supposed to "run in" the engine. I remember my Toyota salesman (who I later became to loathe as he was a useless, lying <deleted>) telling me that I didn't have to run in my new pick-up. But I read the book and it said what to do for the first 1,000 km, so I'll be looking at the Yamaha booklets to see what they say.

If anyone has any information about running in, can you please post what you know?

Unfortunately, there is no English translation of the Yamaha booklets (so I was told), unlike the Toyota book which I demanded to have a copy of or I wouldn't buy the pick-up.

The storage space is excellent - two pockets either side of the steering column on the inside and a strong hook, as well as the deep space under the seat. Although they don't have a front basket as an accessory - and I can't see how one could be secured - there are some easily accessible bolts either side of the leg space which could be used to fix a slimline basket inside. Maybe Yamaha - or a bike's equivalent of "Carryboy" - will produce one as demand rises.

Here are a few pictures:

post-35489-1210218863_thumb.jpg post-35489-1210218895_thumb.jpg

Buddha's stuff:

post-35489-1210218840_thumb.jpg post-35489-1210218880_thumb.jpg

I rented a Nouvo about 5 years ago for a month. It was rough! Very noisy but went like the clappers - would out-accelerate every other bike from traffic lights or up-hill. It really was quick. So I hope my new 135cc one will go as quick once run in.

My g/f's friend has the same old type Nouvo and she says she hasn't had it serviced for 5 years - since the first check-up. It still goes OK (I tried it a few days ago) but it needs maintenance. Sounds like something whining/rattling/rubbing in the transmission. I doubt if she thrashes it at all, but her husband (who is here part-time) is a very big (muscular) guy, so I'm sure it has had a fair bit of hard work to do.

Regards the engine-braking, you DO get that with the Nouvo. I read about it and now I've tried it - you get slowed by the engine until about 5 kph and then it free-wheels. So it's not like, say, automatic cars where you ALWAYS have to hit the brakes if you want to slow down.

I know that rentals have a hard life but your nouvo's are beat after 20,000 kms?

Mine has 16000 trouble free kms on it and feels as fresh as the day I rode it away from the dealer. The way it is going I'd be amazed if it did less than 50,000k's (probably more) and it normally has me and the gf on it which is a combined weight of about 130 kgs. I don't nurse the bike and I've done several hundred kms on it on the same day on several occasions. I agree that a Wave would probably outlast a Nouvo but not last 3 times as long. After 50,000 kms I'd probably semi-retire the bike (it would be worth more to me as a spare than I could sell it for) and buy a new one anyway so anything over that is a bonus.

I don't doubt what you're saying but maybe the type of people who rent your autos thrash them more? I frequently get overtaken by groups of young farang tourists riding stupidly fast (often in groups weaving in and out of traffic) and they're rarely on Waves or Dreams, normally Nouvos, Mios etc. The farang on the Waves and Dreams tend to be older and cruising around the island at a more sedate pace. Totally un-scientific observation of course...

Agree with all you said.. The bikes have a very hard life.. And 20k is probably an exaggeration but not a large one.. Was forced to ride a 25k one the other day to help the missus drop one off and it only just got over a Patong hill.. OK I am a big lump but none of her bikes with any miles on have much grunt.

But consider me biased.. I dont like the auto feel and maybe look to find faults in them.. On the other hand I have loads of respect for the super reliable wave design.

This might explain a lot. advantages and disadvantages of the CVT transmission

I don't agree with the assessment of the CVT offering superior fuel economy but I think this will explain why an 8.9 horsepower Nouvo will out accelerate Honda Waves and the like. Also the noises coming from CVT transmissions, why an automatic motorbike might not seem as fast as it really is, etc. This article explains what I am saying about how these automatics get on the power right now when you need it, and why more horsepower at peak rpm is not as meaningful as it seems.

I'm enjoying the comments from some of you guys about your trouble free machines. Like I've said before they are magic carpets that do the job for most of us better than anything else out there. I think somewhere in the future we will be looking at all this like we now see digital photography. I remember my using digital cameras when I was about the only guy in town using one when all the film camera professionals would scoff at me. I'd be the guy bringing a laptop into all those U.S. topless clubs and my digital camera and everybody loved it. Meanwhile the so called pros laughed at my toys. Well, they either went out of business a long time ago or they made the switch.

As to these automatics requiring a lot of expensive maintenance note the comments about 250 horsepower cars now using CVT. If such cars can do it I doubt if a 10 horsepower bike is going to not handle this new technology.

That link (which I think is a word for word the same as the wiki one posted recently also) neglects the biggest drawback which is a massive power loss to the drivetrain.. I had read as much as >20% !!

As to a Nuovo out accelerating waves.. Depends if the rider keeps the wave in band..

That link (which I think is a word for word the same as the wiki one posted recently also) neglects the biggest drawback which is a massive power loss to the drivetrain.. I had read as much as >20% !!

As to a Nuovo out accelerating waves.. Depends if the rider keeps the wave in band..

Which is a huge point of mine. Gus who is normally a pretty gutsy driver is apparently afraid of blowing his engine.

Take a given engine that develops say 116 horsepower at 7000 rpms. That's at redline on a tach. At just 6000 rpms, it develops just 70. That is much more than a 20 % power loss. So one has to keep that engine on the boil to get the horsepower.

Also, remember my statements about my Dodge automatic pickup truck. It had the small block V-8, not the much larger and more powerful engines many of the boys were driving down at the farm. I had it up to 110 miles an hour and it had more left. Keep in mind it was a four wheel drive which means hundreds of pounds of extra weight and it also had the extended cab so it would seat four people. I'm sure if I had the same setup with a manual transmission it would get even better fuel economy and the manual would outrun it. But probably not by much. Truth is automatic transmissions have undergone a constant state of improvement through the years. THat pickup of mine had a four speed transmission with overdrive giving a 5th gear whereas the old Chevys in the sixties had two speed powerglide transmissions. Chrysler had a better transmission back then, having three speeds on tap But when I read all these articles on CVT transmissions they are even more efficient than the best "normal" autos out there. Does this mean I'm hoping and praying that Honda comes out with a manual for their 150 cc. CBR's? Of course not. Would I buy a new Mazda Miata sports car with an automatic? No way. My last Miata was a special edition with a six speed manual and I loved it.

Edited by jackcorbett

I fail to see how really relevant v8 autos with power to spare are relevant to a single digit horsepower scooter.

Everyone has different preferences.. Mine are clear, as are yours.. Of course the way your ride, and the normal riding terrain you cover will all have an effect. I quite happily get on a scooter and ride all over the island, hills, long range, etc etc I might have a different idea if I lived in a town and only did <5kms city driving daily.

I will say tho that theres some clear things I consider undeniable facts. A manual is...

Cheaper to buy

Cheaper to run (fuel)

Has more power

I also would argue long and hard that they are far more durable and (this is purely personal) they are a far nicer riding experience.

I recently asked if anyone knows the kimometre range of an Airblade versus manual bike such as Mio. But no one has answered. The Thai language sales leaflets do not give the answer as far as I can tell.

Several posters have claimed that autos use more fuel but my question is, how long before fill ups? How big are the tanks and what is the range in normal use? What is he typical fuel consumption of these bikes?

Its for my girlfriend so she is more concerned about how frequently she will have to visit gas stations on her own which she dislikes.

My own concerns are more about safety.

This all seems to lead to Airblade with its combi brake and fuel flap on side.

Am I making a mistake. Will she be happier with a smaller manual?

Fuel tanks for all these scooters are on the small side being around 4 liters for Mios and Finos to a bit more for Nouvos. I would like to see larger tanks and felt the new Nouvo might incorporate a bigger tanks. As to how long between fill ups, this depends on how you drive, where you drive and how much you drive. I put 10,000 kilometers on my Nouvo in two years. I average around 5 days between fill ups. The Airblade and Nouvo are decidedly superior to Finos and Mios and Clicks for all the reasons given in many posts here.

I wanted to buy my ex girlfriend an Air Blade for this reason. She wanted a Fino. I put it in her name. Turned out she was married to a Thai guy. She wound up with the motoribike which as I said was in her name. She also stole a laptop from this condo on her way out believing since I had a bigger and better laptop she helped convince me to buy, the lesser powered laptop was hers although I had clearly told her it was only hers to use. But that's another story. My present girlfriend says she does not want a motorbike as she views them as being dangerous. This can be a very lengthy discussion, a book in fact. But at this point I'd never buy ANY Thai girlfriend a bike. NOT EVER.

On the girlfriends, I only have this to say, BEWARE. I've seen Thai women stay with men for 7 years only to steal a house, bar, etc from him and turn him out like used garbage. By the way, EVERYONE who ever met the old girlfriend thought she was as good as gold and the exception to the rule.

Fuel tanks for all these scooters are on the small side being around 4 liters for Mios and Finos to a bit more for Nouvos. ............. I put 10,000 kilometers on my Nouvo in two years. I average around 5 days between fill ups. The Airblade and Nouvo are decidedly superior to Finos and Mios and Clicks for all the reasons given in many posts here.

Thankyou for that. I calculate that if you did 10k in two years, that is approx 14k per day. If you bought 4 litres every five days then you averaged 17 kplitre. or approx 80mpg. A five day re-fill cycle is not a problem. It might be more troublesome if it was a daily or two day routine.

I think I may be falling into the trap of not seeing the wood for the trees.

As you say, the bigger autos are better bikes overall for many reasons.

The Airblade wins I think. Better brakes and lots of storage. Honda dealer, here I come.

I agree with your girlfriend that bikes are inherently dangerous. No matter how carefully you drive, you are at risk of being injured or killed by someone else. Bike riders are very vulnerable. Despite the fact that we have direct experience of a friend being killed in a horrific collision, she still wants a bike.

What can you do?

Have you ever written up your experiences with your ex? It sounds like Private Dancer coming to life.

Fortunately for me, a bike won't break the bank.

Many thanks for your cordial reply and idea that I should be writing a book. Actually I did write, typesetted and had printed up 2000 copies of a book in the U.S. which I called "Death on the Wild Side". This is about strip clubs in the U.S. focusing on the St. Louis East side and I have started on a book here focusing upon Pattaya. But so far just 40 to 50 pages depending upon formatting. Difficult (so far) to remain focused on it, but there are two ex girlfriends in it, the first being a girl I renamed Spicy. This is not the ex I mentioned earlier but Spicy girl certainly deserved the rename and actually got to enjoy being called Spicy.

But back to the Air Blade. That's an excellent choice. Although I have a Nouvo and enjoy it very much, I could be equally happy with the Air Blade. (but I'd like the 135 cc. Nouvo even better than either if its color schemes were more attractive). I personally don't like the smaller automatics because I feel they aren't really up to the standard set by both the Nouvo and the Air Blade and in this dangerous world of driving in Thailand, particularly in places such as Pattaya nothing but the best (at a reasonable price level that is) is sufficient. I did not mention this about the Waves, but I feel their tires are too spindly. I like the fatter tires of the Air Blade. Good work on your gas mileage projections by the way. I would have thought the Nouvo was doing around 60 miles per gallon in this traffic here, but this opinion was just by the seat of my pants.

• 3 weeks later...

Something weird just happened with my new Nouvo. I was going up a long (200m) steep hill (about 35º), when the engine died. I wasn't going fast and it just coughed, spluttered and died. I knew I was low on petrol, so I had a look in the tank and there was quite a bit (1 or 2 cm deep) in there. So I started it again but as soon as I turned the throttle, it died. I then gave it a good shake to get petrol down the pipe, started it again, and it was OK.

Fortunately the hill ended after another twenty metres so I got to the top OK and parked. After an hour or so I went home - mostly downhill or flat - and then it died again after about 5 km. Again I could start it OK, but as soon as I used the throttle, it died.

I checked the tank and could see a little fuel at the bottom so gave it another good shake and started it and it went OK for about 100m. I nearly got to a "bottle of petrol" stand but had to push the last 10 metres.

After filling up it was OK.

So what I can't understand is why it would always start OK, and tick-over OK, but as soon as I turned the throttle, it died.

Could there be two pipes from the tank? One that supplies fuel for the tick-over and (a higher level) one that supplies it for the throttle?

Or is it the case that when it ticks over, it's simply running on fumes?

Anyway, one thing I've learned is that the outlet from the tank must be at the front - so the engine may die on you going up-hill, but will burst into life again down-hill. :o

You can't go wrong with an Airblade. I have mine for more than a month now (before a CBR 150, but get bored with the manual shift gears in the city). Great bike, i added some YSS springs in the rear and Posh absorbers in the front. It just runs great!

The acceleration from the fai daeng is outstanding. I do not mind about top speed in the city though.

Had a Nuovo before, but have to admit that the Airblade is much more swift and easy to ride. Perfect for the city tours!

Moo9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I recently asked if anyone knows the kimometre range of an Airblade versus manual bike such as Mio. But no one has answered. The Thai language sales leaflets do not give the answer as far as I can tell.

Several posters have claimed that autos use more fuel but my question is, how long before fill ups? How big are the tanks and what is the range in normal use? What is he typical fuel consumption of these bikes?

Its for my girlfriend so she is more concerned about how frequently she will have to visit gas stations on her own which she dislikes.

My own concerns are more about safety.

This all seems to lead to Airblade with its combi brake and fuel flap on side.

Am I making a mistake. Will she be happier with a smaller manual?

This reply is probably a bit late, but the Yamaha Mio is not a manual bike. It's has EXACTLY the same motor as the Nouvo which is almost the same size as the Air Blade. Nouvo/Mio = 113cc, Air Blade = 108cc

The Air Blade's fuel tank capacity is 4 litres.

The combi brake on the Air Blade is really good.

Edited by tropo

I thought the nuovo was different from the mio..

The mio is the same as the fino..

The Mio, Fino and Nouvo all have exactly the same drivetrain and engine packaged differently. Pretty smart marketing I would say.

and just in case someone was wondering....the Honda Click and Air Blade have have the same engines too.

Edited by tropo

The new model of the Yamaha Nouvo is a 135cc.

-O

In actual fact, the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance with it's 135cc engine is not a replacement for the standard Nouvo MX 113cc model. They are concurrent models.