Thailand’s high-speed railway will carry first passengers in 2023

webfact

On 9/6/2019 at 4:44 AM, sandyf said:

Quite. I was in Guangzhou a few weeks back, the railway station is run like an airport with boarding gates for the HS trains. We took the train from Guangzhou to Yangshuo, about 250Km in just over 2 hours. There are different class of trains, we were on D class and the G class is a bit faster.

About half way we came into the mountain region and from there it was a series of tunnels and bridges, very impressive. Where it is not a tunnel or bridge the track has a military style fence on each side.

If the Chinese have a free hand on design and infrastructure there shouldn't be a problem, they certainly have the experience, around 30K Kms and growing.

I worked firstly as a construction manager and then  the clients consultant on the Wuhan- Guangzhou high speed rail project. Teaching the Chinese engineers how to built the Rheeda 2000 high speed track system and inspections on site for quality. There is no program , plan or schedule just a finish date (A decree) . As a  result the quality was abysmal and anything the Chinese build will have durability issues. 

Edited by Dave67
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

I worked firstly as a construction manager and then  the clients consultant on the Wuhan- Guangzhou high speed rail project. Teaching the Chinese engineers how to built the Rheeda 2000 high speed track system and inspections on site for quality. There is no program , plan or schedule just a finish date (A decree) . As a  result the quality was abysmal and anything the Chinese build will have durability issues. 

The forum is full of experts with crystal balls. At this point in time they have been providing for many years a high speed service way beyond many countries.

"There is no program , plan or schedule just a finish date (A decree)" - Sounds just like the UK apart from the finish, they seem to have a problem in that direction. The Chinese approach appears to be 'build it and learn' as opposed to the UK 'build it and leave it'.

"As a  result the quality was abysmal" - the world as a whole can only hope that you have an axe to grind, with 45 operational reactors and 15 under construction your views on quality would create a dark cloud over the future of the planet.

"anything the Chinese build will have durability issues. " - would that include the Great Wall and Terracotta Army.

1 hour ago, Dave67 said:

Do you have any experience working in India?

42 years in making, Jharkhand canal collapses 24 hours after opening

5 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Do you have any experience working in India?
42 years in making, Jharkhand canal collapses 24 hours after opening

It could be a Thai news item, reading this part:

"Authorities in the state irrigation department put the blame for the mishap on several rat holes that were yet to be cemented. The government has set up a three-member panel to probe the incident and submit a report within 24 hours."

Also: JMM central general secretary Supriyo Bhattacharya said, “The government patted its own back by operationalising a project that was stalled for 42 years. They claimed the whole project was washed away in less than 22 hours.”

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, drbeach said:

Except that for now, Thailand is playing it safe and is not allowing mega Chinese projects to be built in Thailand with just Chinese laborers and having hundreds of thousands of Chinese settlers make their home here. That is why this project has been delayed so long but why it's gone ahead with little opposition in Laos. Also see what's happening in Sihanoukville, Cambodia, and soon Ream national park and Koh Kong. Also, Shwe Koko in Myanmar along the Thai border. Big things happening in all three countries, particularly Cambodia and Myanmar. If Thailand sells itself out to China I don't think the Thai people will be as receptive as citizens of these three countries have been.

Myanmar is pushing back.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:40 PM, Peterbilt said:

May be.
But I think that Mr. Big in Beijing will tell the little general, that chinese workers are needed to build the track. This would mean that the construction of that first section may in deed be finished in time by 2023.

And I notice - with a big smile - that this rail project will increase the dependence of Thailand on China significantly.
Wouldn't it be nice to see a chinese "special economic zone" or even a semi-autonomous chinese province named "Thailand" in the future?

Why? so you can sit back and giggle 'I told you so?' While your kids get used to an new reality of Asian dominance in the world? Thinking people acknowledge this is the Asian century.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:28 PM, Number 6 said:

very Yes, the once impenetrable mountains separating China and South East Asia now given to the Chinese. It won't take much convincing to run an additional rail line to Kampong Som their new warm water port. Of course I'm sure PM working on something to give Lam Chabang away as well.

Suggest you watch the video of hoe the Chinese engineers built a railway from western China to Tibet and overcame many hurdles. There are some smart cookies in China and they ain't building busted <deleted> fans for the mass consumer market in the west. They are putting landers on the dark side of the moon.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:28 PM, Number 6 said:

Yes, the once impenetrable mountains separating China and South East Asia now given to the Chinese. It won't take much convincing to run an additional rail line to Kampong Som their new warm water port. Of course I'm sure PM working on something to give Lam Chabang away as well.

The mountains are far from impenetrable. Which entry to  SEA are you referring to? I live in Northern Myanmar, perhaps 150 km form China and get our electricity from China. They are building a road through here 4 lane. Give it time and a railway will come I the old way of thinking.

Not so sure that's a given these days as the Burmese people are not so roll over and compliant people as was found by the brits 70 years ago.

10 hours ago, sandyf said:

The forum is full of experts with crystal balls. At this point in time they have been providing for many years a high speed service way beyond many countries.

"There is no program , plan or schedule just a finish date (A decree)" - Sounds just like the UK apart from the finish, they seem to have a problem in that direction. The Chinese approach appears to be 'build it and learn' as opposed to the UK 'build it and leave it'.

"As a  result the quality was abysmal" - the world as a whole can only hope that you have an axe to grind, with 45 operational reactors and 15 under construction your views on quality would create a dark cloud over the future of the planet.

"anything the Chinese build will have durability issues. " - would that include the Great Wall and Terracotta Army.

I do not dispute that . Do you know what durability means ?. It means the supposed lifetime of 99 years will be more like 40. I have worked on 3 HSR projects 2 in in China and 1 in Taiwan. Taiwan has a far superior quality to China . Taiwan won project of the decade

You may read and ride on trains mate but otherwise you have no idea what you are talking about

Edited by Dave67

Yesterday when I flew home to Luang Prabang from a trip to Vientiane, the plane flew most of the way following the route of the high speed train line that is being built across Laos.

The construction work is well-advanced, especially in northern Laos where there are many bridges and tunnels through the mountains and valleys.  This is an amazing construction project which will make it so much easier for China to quickly integrate Laos and Thailand into the 'mother country'  ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yesterday when I flew home to Luang Prabang from a trip to Vientiane, the plane flew most of the way following the route of the high speed train line that is being built across Laos.

The construction work is well-advanced, especially in northern Laos where there are many bridges and tunnels through the mountains and valleys.  This is an amazing construction project which will make it so much easier for China to quickly integrate Laos and Thailand into the 'mother country'  ????

Thats the plan

On 9/8/2019 at 12:48 AM, Dave67 said:

I do not dispute that . Do you know what durability means ?. It means the supposed lifetime of 99 years will be more like 40. I have worked on 3 HSR projects 2 in in China and 1 in Taiwan. Taiwan has a far superior quality to China . Taiwan won project of the decade

You may read and ride on trains mate but otherwise you have no idea what you are talking about

I will treat your arrogance with the contempt it deserves.