I Was Denied "proof Of Residence"

I was denied my "proof of residence" at the Chiang Mai office because I didn't have a one year visa. I do have a one year multi entry family visit visa issued in Los angeles. They said I need a one year stamp or something. They said I need to go to the american consulate in CM. They are open tomorrow.

Can anyone explain this to me. They said it was a new requirement. I had proof af residence from my first motorcycle so I've gone through the process before but now its changed. They also asked for my landlords ID which they didn't before.

Anyway, What is this one year stamp. They Los Angeles Thai royal consulat always gives me my one year visa, no problem.

Immigration issues these documents to those on extensions of stay for one year and doing 90 day address reports. They are right not to issue to you as you are not in that category. The information to obtain from your Consulate is also correct.

What you have is a multi entry non immigrant O visa which only allows 90 day stay in Thailand and requires no contact with Immigration outside of normal entry/exit. The residence certificates are issued for those using Immigration one year extensions of stay (stamp). For you that would mean 40k family income and supporting documents that you present to Immigration and then are allowed to remain in Thailand for one year periods with no need to make border runs.

Some offices had issued to others not meeting requirements in the past but the normal procedure is what you have been told.

My immigration office issues these no matter what visa (even visa free entry).. Just show house rental papers..

Last time I showed them my driving licence, so they would give me a letter, so I could take it to the driving license office, to register a new car.. How about that for make work and a circular paper trail..

Immigration issues these documents to those on extensions of stay for one year and doing 90 day address reports.

I recently got a copy of the document that immigration officers refer to as a requirment for this document from Nong Khai. After having it translated I can see no mention of the above.

The visa requirement stated was for non immigrant only.

I failed to be issued with a residence certificate because I did not have the person who owns the condo i rent from present with me at the office.( a quite ridiculous requirement that underlines the lack of thought that goes into dreaming up some of these foolish rules)

Even though the document is expensive at your Embassy/consulate, its the best option to take because the amount of time wasted / stress generated at Thai immigration.

Immigration issues these documents to those on extensions of stay for one year and doing 90 day address reports.

I recently got a copy of the document that immigration officers refer to as a requirment for this document from Nong Khai. After having it translated I can see no mention of the above.

The visa requirement stated was for non immigrant only.

I failed to be issued with a residence certificate because I did not have the person who owns the condo i rent from present with me at the office.( a quite ridiculous requirement that underlines the lack of thought that goes into dreaming up some of these foolish rules)

Even though the document is expensive at your Embassy/consulate, its the best option to take because the amount of time wasted / stress generated at Thai immigration.

I find that the immigration produced document is much more useful and recognised by the Thai administraion (driving license, banks, ownership, etc) as it is in Thai than any Embassy letter obviously not in Thai.

Especially upcountry where the local authorities are not very proficient in english.

As for the requirement to have your landlord with you at immigration, what happens if you do not have a landlord ?

Edited by Krub

• 1 month later...
Can anyone explain this to me. They said it was a new requirement. I had proof af residence from my first motorcycle so I've gone through the process before but now its changed. They also asked for my landlords ID which they didn't before.

You aren't the first person to report this policy change in Chiang Mai, the immigrations office has been doing this now for several months. Just a wild guess on my part, but my assumption is that there are now so many farang living in Chiang Mai that the immigrations office simply tired of isssuing these residence certificates, so they cut the volume of certificates they would potentially issue by drastically raising the eligibilty bar.

GUess you would own a condo and therefore having title deed/purchase contract in your name one could use.

Or you bought a house but in wifes name making your wife the "landlord" in theory.

Or you live with friends that have a landlord.

Or you live in the street and have a problem.....

Cheers!

As for the requirement to have your landlord with you at immigration, what happens if you do not have a landlord ?

As in owning your own condo?

In that case you should have a Yellow Tabien Bahn (household document) and do not need the proof of residence.

[The visa requirement stated was for non immigrant only.

There is some logic here.

We normally need these letters to register a vehicle or get a driving licence,

and both these situations also require a Non Imm visa.