Thailand seeks to become Southeast Asia energy trading hub

snoop1130

2019-09-04T102842Z_1_LYNXNPEF830VK_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) officials remove a diesel electric generator at Nong Jok power plant in Bangkok, April 27, 2011. REUTERS/Chaiwat Subprasom

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's main stock exchange on Wednesday signed an agreement to develop an energy trading platform with state-owned Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT), part of a plan to become Southeast Asia's electricity trading hub.

The deal came as energy ministers from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) met this week in Bangkok. ASEAN has long sought to develop a regional power grid to support member states where demand can quickly outstrip supply.

The Stock Exchange of Thailand <.SETI> and EGAT will study ways to develop "a wholesale electricity market" for ASEAN members, a joint statement said.

Thailand, Laos and Malaysia already have committed to making about 300 megawatts of power capacity available for trading, part of a power integration project, Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, said in a separate statement on Wednesday.

The proposed Thai platform would allow the trading of power for up to three to five years ahead, as well as daily energy trading, EGAT Deputy Governor, Bhawana Aungkananuwat, said.

Thailand uses an enhanced single-buyer model where EGAT is the nation's main electricity supplier and buyer.

It has a total contracted capacity of about 43-gigawatts (GW), with 15.8 GW coming from EGAT's power plants, 23.7 GW from private power producers and 3.8 GW from abroad, according to its 2018 annual report.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-04

11 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: The fake news is off to a flying start from the government run fake news hub.

Excellent! My 74 power outages over the last six years will be a thing of the past.

And then I woke up...

The new ENRON of the East .

regards Worgeordie

Thais will spend more time in the dark while their electricity is being sold to neighbors and they’ll be clueless as the grid is normally down frequently with no repercussions. My in-laws don’t skip a beat during outages, get the rechargeable flashlights and connect the LED light tape strips to a car battery, keep going.

3 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Love the safety issues in the photo? See how many you can identify. I will start with no fall and arrest harnesses. Meanwhile a light rain shower and PAE's distribution blacks out for 2 hours, what a mini hub.

Behave your self, this is Thailand safety, safety, whats that...... Ohh something farangs are always going on about, but does not apply to us.????

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:
10 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Love the safety issues in the photo? See how many you can identify. I will start with no fall and arrest harnesses. Meanwhile a light rain shower and PAE's distribution blacks out for 2 hours, what a mini hub.

Behave your self, this is Thailand safety, safety, whats that...... Ohh something farangs are always going on about, but does not apply to us.????

Absolutely. The laws of physics don't apply here.

That's why you must switch your mobile phone off if there's lightning - it could travel trough the 4G system and strike you dead. I suppose when we eventually get 5G it will be even more lethal, as it's faster.

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: The fake news is off to a flying start from the government run fake news hub.

Excellent! My 74 power outages over the last six years will be a thing of the past.

And then I woke up...

Sometimes power outages can be a good thing.

"When the lights are out, all women are beautiful".

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

And then I woke up...

Energy Hub and Fake News Hub...   

They're on a roll again.  All they need is a new hub for the Hubonator

3 minutes ago, drgoon said:

Energy Hub and Fake News Hub...   

They're on a roll again.  All they need is a new hub for the Hubonator

Hubonator - is that the bullsh!t version of the Terminator?

Or is it this I've just found:

"The Hubinator is a travelers dream! A compact little 4-port USB 2.0 hub that makes it convenient to have multiple USB devices plugged in at the same time. No batteries required! Comes in bright and vibriant colors with a large imprint on the front side. Supports any USB device. 1.6" L x 2" W x 0.4" H"

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Due to the high baht the're running out of things to trade. Such is their desperation they are clutching at anything to make a fast baht.

Electricity is a commodity and commodity trading is a hiso form of gambling. Just as easy to lose money as it is to win some. 

This is a dodgy proposition but corruption within the trading group will probably make sure it survives and makes a handsome profit for buyers and sellers.......at the consumers expense of course.

15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

And then I woke up...

Power outages are good for the birth count. Many babies born 9 months after each outage. 

Helps to offset the road carnage. 

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

As Thailand has been a net energy consumer, I don't see it becoming an energy exporter anytime soon.
In its recent updates to Thailand's Power Development Plan it had removed plans for nuclear energy generation that might give Thailand some energy independence.

Archived