MONKS being denied visas now in Thailand??

I got an email today from a friend who is a monk in Thailand. He said that he is 'having difficulties' renewing his monk visa. I had to laugh when I read that.

He is a straight guy, been a monk in Thailand for 7+ years, meditates full-time. 

Is Thailand now denying visas to real MONKS?

The notorious Ajahn Julian notwithstanding, is this a part of Thailand's 'good guys in, bad guys out'?

Seriously Thailand?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, 3421abc said:

Cambodias are neighbors of Thailand. You know westerners are treated differently. 

No, they are not as long as their situation and papers are above board too and that they can not be suspected for abusing the visa system. Same for everyone. No, you know that nobody single you out.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe the questions would be 'are Thais having to feed you' ? Can you afford the hospital bills ? Can being a monk classify as working ? 

Don;t really see why a monk should be able to avoid anything that we have to comply with. We'd all become monks otherwise - since nowadays they all seems to be having sex, drinking, playing video games which seems alot like the life I am currently having to pay to do

Perhaps you should try for a month, maybe you found destiny in life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, donnacha said:

Please don't be offended, however, if some of us jump to the conclusion that, in order to believe this, you have somehow managed to avoid any actual interaction with the Thai immigration authorities.

Just to be clear, I do not mean to offend, I am merely expressing my disbelief and hilarity at what you have stated and re-stated in this thread.

No, I do not manage to avoid anything. I simply stay clear and follow the rules as well as provide them with what they ask for.

Not offended, Your opinon is also important in the forum. Have a nice day!

They want you to buy Elite. No matter how "serious" or genuine you are. I speak Thai, do you think they care when they assess whether or not I have been studying here genuinely in the past? Does not matter, buy Elite or off you go is the premise now.

I find it quiet funny to imagine a Thai Elite gold-clothing staff accompany a monk in a simple robe from the airplane to the fast track lane. ????

• Haha 1

Unfortunately, some non-Thai monks aren't real monks. They are monks because they want to have free food, extra privileges in public places (bus station), carefree life etc.  I have even seen so-called monks eating meat at restaurants. But Thai people treat these monks as 'god'.

To be a real monk during Buddha's time, you have to give up worldly pleasures such as money, sex, meat-eating and be compassionate towards all beings (including animals) ...

It's not just about meditation.

Edited by EricTh

21 hours ago, Anagami said:

It is of course possible that my friend has been abusing the system that I don't know about, but I doubt it. He lives in a jungle hut in an isolated monastery in Isaan close to Laos border. He is thin as a needle, completely serious about his spiritual practice, and seems to be living as a monk 100% whenever I come to visit him.

Sorry, Cambodians and other neighbors do receive different treatment than farangs. And that's a fact, not an opinion.

Also, 'last month' is sometimes very old news in Thailand. Things, especially those pertaining to Thai Immigration, can change in a flash.

If he's really a good monk, then why don't he go to live in Cambodia or Myanmar which are both Buddhist countries. These countries would have less headaches like TM30 , 90 days report etc.

Thailand is certainly more materialistic than these two countries but monks aren't supposed to be materialistic.

Edited by EricTh

21 hours ago, Anagami said:

It is of course possible that my friend has been abusing the system that I don't know about, but I doubt it. He lives in a jungle hut in an isolated monastery in Isaan close to Laos border. He is thin as a needle, completely serious about his spiritual practice, and seems to be living as a monk 100% whenever I come to visit him.

Sorry, Cambodians and other neighbors do receive different treatment than farangs. And that's a fact, not an opinion.

Also, 'last month' is sometimes very old news in Thailand. Things, especially those pertaining to Thai Immigration, can change in a flash.

They have access to migrant labour permits, that other nationalities don’t have. Usually for menial work. 

Monks of any type wouldn’t be on that visa as they aren’t working.

But if you have been here for any length of time, you’d know that difference and that Cambodians, Lao and Burmese are treated abysmally by Thai authorities. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If he's really a good monk, then why don't he go to live in Cambodia or Myanmar which are both Buddhist countries. These countries would have less headaches like TM30 , 90 days report etc.

Thailand is certainly more materialistic than these two countries but monks aren't supposed to be materialistic.

I've been to both of those countries as a Buddhist monk.  Believe me, you do not want to be a farang monk in those countries. 

32 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Unfortunately, some non-Thai monks aren't real monks. They are monks because they want to have free food, extra privileges in public places (bus station), carefree life etc.  I have even seen so-called monks eating meat at restaurants. But Thai people treat these monks as 'god'.

To be a real monk during Buddha's time, you have to give up worldly pleasures such as money, sex, meat-eating and be compassionate towards all beings (including animals) ...

It's not just about meditation.

Wow.. I'm thinking you need to spend a couple of months wearing the orange robes.  Actually learn something on how it is being a monk.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anagami, I left there after spending 7 years as a monk in a small Buddhist temple in Lopburi province.  I was having a hard time renewing my visa, which started out as a monk visa, then was switched to a ed visa.  So I can understand your friends problem.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

Anagami, I left there after spending 7 years as a monk in a small Buddhist temple in Lopburi province.  I was having a hard time renewing my visa, which started out as a monk visa, then was switched to a ed visa.  So I can understand your friends problem.  

And what was the problem to renew extension as a monk? I would guess in Lopburi the Immigration maybe even know your temple where you studied. Or is there a restriction of how many extensions you have have as monk?
I actually don't know nothing only interested as I was expecting as long you are a real monk this should be one of the easier extensions!