Happy cows, happy chickens

We've been buying those big trays of 30 eggs at B87 at Big C. Concern about antibiotics & animal cruelty led us to buy "N&P Organic Eggs" recently--B91 for 10. The claim on the label is N&P's chickens are fed organic grains with neither antibiotics nor hormone and "They live in spacious barns." In other words, these are indoor chickens which are not really 'free range' meaning having free access to plants, soil, and sunshine. The yolk says it all: pale yellow rather than bright orange.

Has anybody seen any truly 'free range' and 'organic' eggs here in BKK? We'd appreciate the name and contact details for the company that supplies them so we can track them down.

A visit to Canada brought a similar revelation. Canadian cheese is perhaps double the price of American cheeses due to a closed marketing board structure put in place to protect the producers. However, it was interesting that all cheeses in Canada bear the label "made with Canadian milk". Canada gives far less latitude to hormones and antibiotics than the US, we must assume.

Which brings us to Thai milk. I opened a small plastic bottle two weeks ago. It was not past the expiry day when we finished it but fresh milk kept in the fridge elsewhere would surely have soured.

Do any TV folks know about dairy practices here, what additives the cows are fed? Does anyone know where to buy truly organic milk here in the city. Company & contact details, please.

We're looking for happy cows & happy chickens! Thanks for any answers. 

Not sure how to read this perhaps it's Thai English, does it mean that the grains are free of antibiotics and hormones or the chickens are free "chickens are fed organic grains with neither antibiotics nor hormone"

The barn could be termed spacious by its size alone - depends how many birds per square metre.

Free range does not mean organic so unless the company advertises its chickens as free range one cannot argue.

Organic produce regulations sometimes include that the land must be free of chemicals even that the animals that provided the natural fertilizer did not receive antibiotics or hormones.

The colur of the egg yolk will depend on what the hen is fed i.e. corn or various plants, artificial pigments are often added to the feed to give a more yellow yolk.    The normal colour is pale yellow,

The milk may have been heat treated - UHT.

5 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

The claim on the label is N&P's chickens are fed organic grains with neither antibiotics nor hormone and

This is true for all commercial chicken feed. Broilers (for meat) and layers (for eggs) can be given antibiotic treatment but there is a minimum withdrawal time for medication before slaughter (broilers) or resuming laying (layers) to prevent antibiotic contamination of meat or eggs. NB - Layers are usually slaughtered rather than taken off laying production, medicated and returned.

"They live in spacious barns." In other words, these are indoor chickens which are not really 'free range' meaning having free access to plants, soil, and sunshine.

No commercial chickens, broilers or layers, are permitted to free-range outdoors due to the Avian 'flu risk.

Has anybody seen any truly 'free range' and 'organic' eggs here in BKK? We'd appreciate the name and contact details for the company that supplies them so we can track them down.

If you truly want free-range eggs you have to find a local farm that does free-range it's layers. We have a King's Project farm nearby does 'em. Difficult in BKK though.

I think your best bet is to stick with the N&P eggs.

This subject of pasteurized milk keeping in the fridge for along time has come up before on other TV forums ,one member who use to work n the industry said it is the pasteurization that makes the milk keep a long time ,it is not UHT treatment ,with that process the milk has a taste of its own ,in my book undrinkable,the Thai Denmark ,milk producing arm the  DPO ,produces a UHT milk . 

As for dairy cows getting feed additives in they feed they are none ,the only thing that is in Thai dairy cattle feed  is urea ,as in fertilizer urea ,the feed company use urea as a cheap form of protein a small amount of urea in a feed will increase the feed  protein con taint ,but urea should not be more than 2%of the total ration.

As for organic milk not easy to find ,again this has come up on TV before ,try TV's archives, and have a look at Google Thai, and this being Thailand try Facebook. 

They is a small factory near me that pasteurizes organic milk ,they output is low ,with Thai cattle management producing organic is not easy a Thai friend of mine did it for a while ,his problem was saucing  organic feed not easy  ,he had a big infertility problem ,diet well shot of enagey, also the comaney that brought his milk riped him off ,did not pay him.

The Thai Denmark comany have built an organic pastraization plant at Mortlec Salarburi ,this was last yaer ,as far as I know they have yet to trat any organic milk     

19 hours ago, grollies said:

This is true for all commercial chicken feed. Broilers (for meat) and layers (for eggs) can be given antibiotic treatment but there is a minimum withdrawal time for medication before slaughter (broilers) or resuming laying (layers) to prevent antibiotic contamination of meat or eggs. NB - Layers are usually slaughtered rather than taken off laying production, medicated and returned.

No commercial chickens, broilers or layers, are permitted to free-range outdoors due to the Avian 'flu risk.

If you truly want free-range eggs you have to find a local farm that does free-range it's layers. We have a King's Project farm nearby does 'em. Difficult in BKK though.

I think your best bet is to stick with the N&P eggs.

Thanks for the comments.

No mention wether or not the birds are caged ( battery ) layers, could still call the barn spacious !

Used to be able to buy end of lay birds in the UK, often produced well in a home garden.

Free range can mean a door and few metres of grass - as long as the birds are outside the house though, as you say, they are not allowed outside the house due to AI - at least they should not be outside ....

Bird flu is in this country and has been for years whatever the govt. vets say; I expect thats what they have to say.

Have worked in farming since 1961 ( aged 15 ) in UK but mostly in other countries.   In Thailand I have seen growth promoters for pigs given to commercial ( meat ) ducks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 3:52 PM, Tayaout said:

There is organic grass fed milk at big c. 

Thanks, all. I've now seen at least eight brands of more 'natural' eggs at Central Food Hall. (I think the more means more expensive! B79-91for box of ten!)

Unable to find the organic grass fed milk at Big C, though. Might you let us know the brand or, better, take a photo of the label?

TIA!

24 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Unable to find the organic grass fed milk at Big C, though. Might you let us know the brand or, better, take a photo of the label?

TIA!

https://www.bigc.co.th/dairyhome-100-organic-grass-fed-milk-1200-ml.html?___store=en&___from_store=th

I used to buy from Big C Ratchadapisek when living in Bangkok. 

Archived