Who are these people?

Isaanbiker

Perhaps a year ago, I looked at a website that offered free $20,000 to use for online gambling, was stupid enough to write my phone number in and since then I'm constantly called,,n ow from a Hong Kong server.( Guess It's a Skype thingy, or VPN)

They call me give me a weird story and tell me that I've won  $ 20 K, that's when I say thank you, I'm not interested. They are Filipinos, the way their English sounds. 

But a while ago a Russian ( I think he's Russian ) guy called me and was really threatening me. Anyway, I hang up and now the call center, showing Hong Kong, always rings me up.

I start speaking Thai and that's always good enough for them to hang up. Did something similar ever hap[[pen to you and if so, what did you do to stop that?

Any advice is deeply appreciated, it's driving me nuts to have these always Filipina women calling me and giving me the crazy story.

I'm not into online gambling, but they change the story in a way that some people might be attracted to it. be careful, it's of course a scam. Once you agree and give them what they want, you'll lose a lot of cash.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Isaanbiker said:
Just now, Vacuum said:

Buy a new sim card.

Nope, I'll keep my number I've got for 17 years now. Just trying to fight back in a way that they never call me again. 

Up2U - keep blocking the numbers as they turn up. Hope it works out

53 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Perhaps a year ago, I looked at a website that offered free $20,000 to use for online gambling, was stupid enough to write my phone number in and since then I'm constantly called,,n ow from a Hong Kong server.( Guess It's a Skype thingy, or VPN)

They call me give me a weird story and tell me that I've won  $ 20 K, that's when I say thank you, I'm not interested. They are Filipinos, the way their English sounds. 

But a while ago a Russian ( I think he's Russian ) guy called me and was really threatening me. Anyway, I hang up and now the call center, showing Hong Kong, always rings me up.

I start speaking Thai and that's always good enough for them to hang up. Did something similar ever hap[[pen to you and if so, what did you do to stop that?

Any advice is deeply appreciated, it's driving me nuts to have these always Filipina women calling me and giving me the crazy story.

You can't stop it unless you know the number that they will be calling from.

Why do you answer the call when HK or other numbers call that you don't know?  Just ignore it then you don't have to speak to them.

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Nope, I'll keep my number I've got for 17 years now. Just trying to fight back in a way that they never call me again. 

Have a word with that kellersphuket chap, he's very good at problem solving, he's our

very own Harry Callaghan by the sounds of it!!

I feel your pain, I had some northern (Leeds I think) woman bombard

me with calls day and night because I made a ppi claim inquiry, also

foolishly giving my number.

She gave up after a couple of weeks, but for future reference I will remember

the personal question approach!

I occasionally get calls from an alleged HK number. They know my name as they ask to speak to me. The call starts with them telling me they're offering some internet marketing deal, at which point I interrupt them and tell them to move on to the next number on their list and cancel the call.

I have no idea how they got my name and number.

About ten years ago I had a cold call selling pensions from a Brit in Thailand. He too knew my name.

When I asked him where he got my number from, he said friend had recommended me to him, but wouldn't say who.

Did someone sell all the names and numbers in their phone-book at some stage I wonder?

I'm not being intimidated and changing my number either, I've had it over twenty years now.

... to unnerve, and luckily peeve off phillipine calls years ago; I devised an effective yet simple 'ANS Outgoing Message' 

it was done mimicing a sort of verbally wavering machinelike voiced version of Marvin the paranoid android.

The message itself was "aaansswerrringg maachhiiineeee..."   (no more, no less)

... somewhere I still have on the ANS message tape that I took out and keep in the drawer; the best of reactions...

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

How did you intend to spend the free 20 000 quid then ?

I do hope that you wasnt going to trick and con them by keeping the money

No, I was just trying to figure out how to finance my new bike.......

I'm kidding, I was just killing time and wanted to know how that works out and made the mistake to leave my damn phone number.

The Russian who called me was very serious and got so angry that i had the feeling that I wouldn't like to have a vodka with him. 

I was contacted by a Nigerian Space Project called ‘Crisis Recovery International Space Project (CRISP) wanting money to get a Nigerian Spaceman back to earth. I hope my million pound helped him and he’s living a happy productive life now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to believe anybody could believe that they were being offered 20,000 for free for online gambling....specially if not into online gambling.

I do get unwanted calls from people offering financial services and insurance stuff etc.,(usually after placing an Ad. that shows my phone No.). I just lock it into my phone with the name "Don't answer". I do it that way because they keep using different No.s.

Here i get the Indian scammers - using similar tactics as the Indian tailors and touts. They get sold your details from other Indians working in phone companies and so on. That is how they get often accurate details about you .They have no ethics when it comes to money.

They can be a lot of fun if you have the time and in the right mood just leading them on. But they tell me that is racist to get them them wasting their time and   getting them excited over finding a stupid fool who they can rip off.  

But if they ring late at night and then hang up on you that will <deleted> me off - apparently they will ring three or more numbers at once and the lucky one who answers first gets the call and they hang up on the ones that are too slow. 

There are millions of Indians in this game - so what if you <deleted> off a few sleazy ones.

Had the same, time after time, they refused to stop. When I threatened them with action they played insults and swearing at me softly in the background before hanging up.

ended up blocking the number.

I visited a site a few years ago that was about currency trading. They had this software that automates trading and I wanted to try it out. There was an option to trade without actually investing anything and see how it works. Anyway, I had to leave my email and phone number to download. Ever since, I am getting these idiot phone calls about investing and offers of managing my supposedly immense funds. Some calls are from the U.K., some from Singapore, USA, Hong Kong. I Usually listen for a while and then ask for a donation because I don't have any money, I lately just hang up, very boring.

19 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Nope, I've got this number now for 17 years and I'll not change it 

And I imagine you don't want to change the number because you're still waiting to hear back from the Nigerian who promised to deposit $10 million in your bank account as soon as your cheque  sent to him clears.

Archived