House registration book

15 hours ago, Camillof said:

Yes. It will make it easier for you to get some transactions done, like purchasing a new vehicle or opening a new bank account on your name, or getting a Thai driving license, without having to worry about obtaining a certificate of residence each time. You might also enjoy better treatment at ticket boots of tourist sites or other attractions that apply a dual pricing policy. This however depends very much on discretion of each site. With the yellow book you can get also a Thai ID card to be carried in your wallet; remember to ask for it in case. If you fulfil all requirements for getting your yellow book I wouldn't hesitate if I were you, unless the municipality concerned clearly shows willingness to profit of the situation to extort extra money from you. In fact once you fulfil all requirements it should be issued for free or almost free. I'm talking out of recent experience: I just got mine 4 months ago for free.

I was told that if you have this document you do not have to file the TM30 or do the 90 day reporting.    Do you know if this is true?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Camillof said:

I'm talking out of recent experience: I just got mine 4 months ago for free.

Years on things have moved on then, for me the yellow book has been useful but they wouldn't give me one until I had been here 3 years and if you live here permanent best to get one as proof of address.

Your given Thai ID number is put on your DL in our province.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 4:41 PM, Camillof said:

Yes. It will make it easier for you to get some transactions done, like purchasing a new vehicle or opening a new bank account on your name, or getting a Thai driving license, without having to worry about obtaining a certificate of residence each time. You might also enjoy better treatment at ticket boots of tourist sites or other attractions that apply a dual pricing policy. This however depends very much on discretion of each site. With the yellow book you can get also a Thai ID card to be carried in your wallet; remember to ask for it in case. If you fulfil all requirements for getting your yellow book I wouldn't hesitate if I were you, unless the municipality concerned clearly shows willingness to profit of the situation to extort extra money from you. In fact once you fulfil all requirements it should be issued for free or almost free. I'm talking out of recent experience: I just got mine 4 months ago for free.

You must have met a lot of transactional requirements during that 4 months for ownership to have been such a boon.

Most folks I know have found it to be pretty useless.  Other than having to visit the local immigration office (or local dignitary) for proof of residence.

Well done if it's worked for you. 

On 9/7/2019 at 2:33 AM, Spaniel said:

I was told that if you have this document you do not have to file the TM30 or do the 90 day reporting.    Do you know if this is true?

Do you really think that Thai immigration would ever do anything to our advantage? :cheesy:

Edited by possum1931

22 hours ago, gamini said:

no, definitely a pretty useless document.

Yes, definitely a pretty useless comment.

Have had mine nearly 10 years, benefits have included free flu jabs and free mobile health clinics, easier registration at government hospitals. That is apart from the monetary savings over the years, Muang Boran is half price with yellow book, a saving of nearly 400 Baht when I last went.

I have also used it as a supporting document in my wife's 8 UK visa applications, has always been one of the documents UK immigration seen fit to retain.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 3:33 AM, Spaniel said:

Untrue as far as I know. Maybe there's a slight chance regarding the TM30 if you fall upon a benevolent immigration officer, but you cannot count on it because it isn't written anywhere.

On 9/7/2019 at 3:11 PM, alacrity said:
On 9/6/2019 at 11:41 AM, Camillof said:

I just got mine 4 months ago for free.

You must have met a lot of transactional requirements during that 4 months for ownership to have been such a boon.

Excuse me but what kind of reasoning is that? 4 months is nothing, that's just the time elapsed since I finally got my yellow book. I mentioned it just to emphasise that mine was issued recently for free. But of course I had been living here for years before, and I assure you that on many occasions I regretted not having the yellow book. Anyway I'm intending to remain here for many years to come, Thai authorities permitting, so I have no doubt it will come useful again and again. A few weeks after getting it, for example, it already helped me in applying for my Thai driving licenses. Moreover, given the current trend of how they are treating us here, having this document could become even more useful, read invaluable, in the future! Better have it than not have it, that's for sure ????

Edited by Camillof