Baggage handler arrested after 20,000 baht cash theft from tourist's luggage at Suvarnabhumi

rooster59

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't think the lady is stupid.....

How many birds get their handbag stolen or rifled, how many blokes lose their wallet via a pick pocket....Put that up against air side theft I would think she was on a winner. Photo of bill numbers, just in case, shows she ain't daft...

2 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Lesson for everyone. Take photos of everything In your luggage before arriving/departing Thailand. 

Let's see......

6 pairs of socks = 12 pics

10 pairs of underpants = 10 pics

10 shirts = 10 pics....and so on...and on...and on ????

PS...... :sorry:

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

But seriously ….  who the hell leaves cash in their check in baggage  ?   

Dumb people, but taking something that is not yours is stealing. 

It seems this story raises its ugly head at least three times a year.  Wonder why it always seems to be a Bangkok airport. 

There’s no logic to this story. You do not do that and you do not photograph notes and put them in an unsafe place like your luggage . Hand luggage is in your sight all th time . It’s a set up . Somewhere someone for some reason set this up. But that’s crazy too.. Also 20k baht is chicken feed to a South Korean !   

…. confirming she is not a bar woman … 

2 hours ago, Proboscis said:

It pays to never underestimate the stupidity of humans

I once had a woman traveller from Singapore to Frankfurt. Upon checking into the hotel, she exclaimed that the jewelry that she hid so cleverly in her jeans and make up kit were all gone. I had to explain to her that thieves use X-ray machines to locate metal objects thus her ingenuity was wasted. Also missing were her German marks. This was before EU. 

Perhaps this system is already switched on; and, the baggage handlers are getting "trained up".

"The Customs Department will by year end complete installation of 23 x-ray machines above the baggage carousels at Suvarnabhumi Airport in a move to improve the efficiency of security checks of luggage of inbound passengers and to prevent goods smuggling. The machines will be switched on early next year."

2 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Isn't theft one of the professions reserved for Thais?

It seems not certainly not in the airlines, In the mid 1980’s there was organized theft taking place by baggage handlers in Sydney employed by the then Domestic carrier TAA they were even diverting luggage to other airports to be stolen.

They were finally caught when covert security cameras were installed in the baggage holds.

Furthermore if you transited Athens you were were advised never to have anything remotely valuable in your luggage.

In over twenty years traveling throughout and in and out of Thailand I have never had anything stolen.

I suppose you would say I am lucky

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

It seems not certainly not in the airlines, In the mid 1980’s there was organized theft taking place by baggage handlers in Sydney employed by the then Domestic carrier TAA they were even diverting luggage to other airports to be stolen.

They were finally caught when covert security cameras were installed in the baggage holds.

Furthermore if you transited Athens you were were advised never to have anything remotely valuable in your luggage.

In over twenty years traveling throughout and in and out of Thailand I have never had anything stolen.

I suppose you would say I am lucky

And You Obviously Know that London Heathrow Used to called London THIEFROW !!

8 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Why would you put cash, no matter how well disguised, in your checked luggage? 

The Korean lady only photographed the pile not the individual notes, if the baggage handlers had left the top note behind she would have had no evidence a to their thievery.

Were these the same staff who X-ray the luggage?

maybe she got ripped off before in thailand and planted bait?  she should have photographed each note also

9 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

The Korean lady only photographed the pile not the individual notes, if the baggage handlers had left the top note behind she would have had no evidence a to their thievery.

Were these the same staff who X-ray the luggage?

who would think that a person stupid enough to leave cash in checked in baggage would be smart enough to take photos of it??

x-raying of incoming baggage supposed to start sometimes in the future according to an article published earlier, so I guess not same staff

....meanwhile...x-ray incoming luggage......

...but ....not of the people working for the airlines etc....

....besides this type of flagrant theft...

...why do you think 'it matters not' whether Thai Airways AOT etc run a deficit and run into the ground....

....because everyone associated with them has been making a fortune all these years....otherwise...

...duhhh...

13 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Sounds like FAKE news.....

Whose that stupid to put cash in their check in baggage?

That is just so crazy stupid. Nobody puts money in check-in luggage. That is so stupid my head exploded.

Because it makes no sense, I have to wonder if this was a sting operation planting money in the bag to expose luggage pilferers.

Sigh, that doesn’t make full sense to me because of the pile with just one serial number photographed. TIT maybe because many things don’t make logical sense to my western brain.

8 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

There’s no logic to this story. You do not do that and you do not photograph notes and put them in an unsafe place like your luggage . Hand luggage is in your sight all th time . It’s a set up . Somewhere someone for some reason set this up. But that’s crazy too.. Also 20k baht is chicken feed to a South Korean !   

You clearly haven't seen the reports of items being stolen from hand luggage whilst the owners are sleeping.

Not all South Koreans are rich.

43 minutes ago, PeteDaKat said:

That is just so crazy stupid. Nobody puts money in check-in luggage. That is so stupid my head exploded.

Because it makes no sense, I have to wonder if this was a sting operation planting money in the bag to expose luggage pilferers.

Sigh, that doesn’t make full sense to me because of the pile with just one serial number photographed. TIT maybe because many things don’t make logical sense to my western brain.

Many people do, regardless of what you think. 

Some will imagine that it is safer to have in a locked suitcase, than on their person where they can misplace it.

That doesn't mean that they are stupid.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1029618/flights-stolen-items-inflight-theft-secret-thieves

https://viewfromthewing.com/2018/08/19/new-travel-scam-stealing-from-passenger-bags-in-the-overhead/

https://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/safety-tips/airline-on-board-theft/

Clearly we have the most intelligent people in the world, right here in Thaivisa.

Another thing not mentioned here are the people whose hand luggage in taken into the hold for one reason or another.

15 hours ago, steven100 said:

14 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Who the hell bring 20,000 baht cash? Why would you do that? How did the theft knew? 

/sarcasm ????

15 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Sounds like FAKE news.....

Whose that stupid to put cash in their check in baggage?

15 hours ago, Beggar said:

Koreans? But she did a great job to remove some gangsters there. Of course strange that she was so careful that she even took photos of the money she put into the luggage. Perhaps she did all this on purpose. 

The peanut gallery is out in force today.

In all my years of reading posts on this web forum, these comments are up there with the stupidest I ever read in any forum anywhere.

So for those of you missing the brain cells needed, let me help answer these questions.

1. Why did she have 20,000 baht cash?

Probably because Thailand has a law where if foreigners do not have minimum amounts of cash when arriving, then they can be banned from entering the country. Key word here people is, CASH. Not your ATM card bank receipt. Just CASH.

2. Why did she put it into her check in bag?

Probably because she thought it was safe inside checked in luggage. As it should be. Maybe she was splitting up holiday money some in her carry on and some in her checked in bags so that if one got lost or stolen she would still have money in the other bag

3. Why did she photograph it?

Probably as proof that she had money in the bag in case it went missing, no?

15 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Insurance fraud?

And I can't tell if this poster is being sarcastic or not. Benefit of the doubt. For those not sure, then let me ask, how would it be fraud if an actual valuable, was actually stolen?

Every single day, the losers on this forum attack victims of crime. As if carrying 20,000 baht in cash ($670) is some major international money laundering crime !  You guys are pathetic. 

Archived