solution against pigeons

domdom

Hello

We have a real issue with pigeons in our condo, as a lot of apartments are unoccupied pigeons sit on the balconies.. and my apartment being on ground floor I receive on my balcony lots of pigeon sh..

Is there a pest control company who could act, otherwise do you have any ideas to fight this

Thank you

Have a nice weekend

Buy a Peregrine falcon. no seriously ,someone must be feeding for

them to stay there,otherwise not a lot to do,the pest control will

not kill them,take them away and the will just come back,something

pigeons do.

regards Worgeordie

Have put a fake owls on the balcony of the condo owner who gave me his key and it seems to work.. but they are located on the neighbouring balcony (where the owl apparently doesn t scare them) .. which is right above mine and I have no access to this condo, the owner not giving a sh.. about it

Complained to manager who said balcony is private area and can t do anything, which I don t believe, as those pigeons are ruining the paint of the condo on 3 floors

Edited by domdom
add something

How about an eagle ? ????

we got loads of birds nesting on  our building too..2 things that have worked are

1 netting they crash into it  quite a few time before learning they cant get in...though the tiny sparrows can get through some of the nets with bigger holes even only about 2 cm wide

and

2 a slippery steep angled sheet of metal on the perching  spots  they fly onto it thinking they can land but slip right off eventually they give up and find somewhere easier  ie: the neighbour place ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Poeple have said that plastic or ornamental birds of prey can discourage them, not sure how true that is or whether they would become wise to them over time

Seen them on large factory roofing in the UK so maybe worth a try......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, domdom said:

my apartment being on ground floor I receive on my balcony lots of pigeon sh..

Ground floor sounds perfect. Put out some food (they like cooked rice) be prepared with a throwing net (something like fishermen use) capture your harvest and get 'rid' of them. Repeat until they're all gone.  Good luck. :thumbsup:

I live in a condo and this stuff works. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hq-3mx5cm-colorful-reflective-safety-warning-conspicuity-tape-film-sticker-3m-i345710449-s675056810.html?ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIhKPGjJG-5AIVgzUrCh3F4wOqEAQYASABEgLhlvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3152!3!286179630377!!!u!296030489971!&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-296030489971!t!296030489971!675056810!128505730&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhKPGjJG-5AIVgzUrCh3F4wOqEAQYASABEgLhlvD_BwE

Just need to replace every couple of months as the tape fades. I just put in a sequence of cup hooks couple of metres apart and let the lengths of tape hang free. Doesn't stop the pigeons from occupying adjacent balconies but mine is absolutely free of the buggers.

• Thanks 1

Unless you own the property it is a very difficult issue to deal with.  You would need the body corporate (or equivalent in Thailand) to allocate and spend money on the issue.

Nobody needs to be feeding them, it just needs to be a quiet secluded place to roost.

My wife and I own a 5 level shop house and had the problem for a long time before solving it.

Forget artificial birds, they don't work. Reflective streamers dont last and the birds come back after they get used to them being there.

There are very good unobtrusive netting products and other products to stop them landing like metal spikes you can attach to window ledges and balcony walls.

I used spikes on the walls on the roof and had netting installed on balconies.  I also created and deployed my own solution to keep them from landing or sitting on the tops of eaves and roof edges.  It seems only these physical barriers work. I am aware of paints too but not sure how effective they would be. Same for the electronic deterrents.

Good luck!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, avander said:

Reflective streamers dont last and the birds come back after they get used to them being there.

I have been using the reflective tape for 4 years and I never see a pigeon on my balcony. It just needs replacing when it starts to fade or gets torn up by the weather. Cheap and effective with minimal maintenance.

I had the same problem. Pigeons get used to everything. One day I was allowed to go to the balcony of the empty condo above mine. The pigeons did not even care and didn't fly away. Look at Venice. They run between the people. What I did was to make a small roof above my balcony. Then the pigeons left their droppings there. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/newlifestyle-pressure-garden-spray-bottle-plant-flowers-irrigation-watering-sprayer-3l-i354162134-s693642609.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.12.75f17925fb3kpn&search=1

This works on neighboring balconies. Use water and some cheap vinegar. Spray them and where they nest. Took me about 2 weeks for them not to come back. They hate any strong smells. But they don't give up easily. 

Bloody pest, even transmit diseases and some morons still feeding them in condos. 

Enourmous damage to facades. 

Good luck. MS>

23 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Poeple have said that plastic or ornamental birds of prey can discourage them, not sure how true that is or whether they would become wise to them over time

Seen them on large factory roofing in the UK so maybe worth a try......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The pigeons will indeed get wise to the fact the plastic owl is not real and then ignore it.

4 hours ago, Mahseer said:

I have been using the reflective tape for 4 years and I never see a pigeon on my balcony. It just needs replacing when it starts to fade or gets torn up by the weather. Cheap and effective with minimal maintenance.

But, did you have pigeons nesting on your balcony before you put up the tape?  I ask, because it may discourage birds from setting up home there in the first place, but I doubt it will deter already nesting birds for long.

I have quite a bit of knowledge of pigeons because I actually keep white racing homers as a hobby for many years.

I the OP's situation it is very difficult, because he has no access to the places the birds are nesting.

The best solution I can think of is to wait until the birds are gathering to roost in the evening, and just as they are landing and settling down, let off a few very loud bangs / fireworks.  This would startle the birds and disturb them into flying off.

They will come back each time, so a few more fireworks.  If the OP does this every night for a week or so, most of the birds will find another place to roost, as they will be scared to come back.

however, birds that already have nest and young will still come back (they are creatures of habit and they will not abandon their young.  

These will have to removed by a pest control company, and the OP and other residents need to pester the condo block management to get the pest control people in.  

The only long term solution is for the condo management to get the owners of the pigeon infested condos to put up netting to stop birds gaining access.  

Good luck OP.

Edited by jak2002003

On 9/7/2019 at 11:12 AM, domdom said:

Hello

We have a real issue with pigeons in our condo, as a lot of apartments are unoccupied pigeons sit on the balconies.. and my apartment being on ground floor I receive on my balcony lots of pigeon sh..

Is there a pest control company who could act, otherwise do you have any ideas to fight this

Thank you

Have a nice weekend

It's possible they have a roosting area nearby on one of the vacant apartment's balconies or ceiling space. I had a problem with pigeons roosting in a vacant condo ceiling above me and dropping <deleted> everywhere. I closed it off and problem solved. They had to find a new home.

I don't know the logistics regarding your problem but I was able to use a slingshot as I had vantage point that was free of endangering other properties.  I did not actually hit any off the pigeons, but discouraged them from roosting there after about a week of target practice.

Hello

Thanks everybody

My major issue is that we don t have access to this balcony which is exactly on top of mine on 3rd floor.. On the neighbor s balcony rail I fixed a plastic owl.. but they are not scared on neighboring balcony..

For one year I am after the management but won t now give them one day peace

Have a nice day

Edited by domdom
Want to correct
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 12:22 AM, avander said:

Unless you own the property it is a very difficult issue to deal with.  You would need the body corporate (or equivalent in Thailand) to allocate and spend money on the issue.

Nobody needs to be feeding them, it just needs to be a quiet secluded place to roost.

My wife and I own a 5 level shop house and had the problem for a long time before solving it.

Forget artificial birds, they don't work. Reflective streamers dont last and the birds come back after they get used to them being there.

There are very good unobtrusive netting products and other products to stop them landing like metal spikes you can attach to window ledges and balcony walls.

I used spikes on the walls on the roof and had netting installed on balconies.  I also created and deployed my own solution to keep them from landing or sitting on the tops of eaves and roof edges.  It seems only these physical barriers work. I am aware of paints too but not sure how effective they would be. Same for the electronic deterrents.

Good luck!

Millions of pigeons in England and the only thing that works is the very expensive placing of spikes under all bridges, window sills etc.