Why do Thais use a limp hand to shake hands?

4675636b596f75

Do you offer Thais a handshake?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I may have wai'ed a Thai 3 times in all my years here.  I shake hands, because this is my custom and it travels with me.  90 percent of the time I will get a limp hand extended.  Depending on the Thai, I will teach them how to shake hands.  No Thai has ever offered to show me how to wai.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are various forms of "greeting" in numerous countries, if it is not your native method its not unusual that an individual would get it wrong, not know, or preform the action badly.

Beyond the Handshake: How People Greet Each Other Around the World
  • Stick out your tongue. Tibet. ...
  • Bump noses. Qatar, Yemen, Oman. ...
  • Air kiss. France, Italy, Portugal, Latin America, The Philippines, Ukraine, and Québec, Canada. ...
  • Rub faces. ...
  • Sniff face
  • Clap your hands. ...
  • Put your hand on your heart.
  • Bow

As a few examples other than shaking hands.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/beyond-the-handshake-how-people-greet-each-other-around-the-world

42 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I shake hands, because this is my custom and it travels with me.

It is rather a pity you haven't learned more about the Thai culture. Westerners traditionally shook hands to show their right hand was weapon free. Thais will sometimes return the gesture but don't expect a massive grip ala Trump vs Macron.

image.png.9c5905505db714cb2ab4c6d234c235be.png

3 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

It is rather a pity you haven't learned more about the Thai culture. Westerners traditionally shook hands to show their right hand was weapon free. Thais will sometimes return the gesture but don't expect a massive grip ala Trump vs Macron.

...nor expect the hand to be weapon free? 

10 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

That only covers one hand. So Thais wai to show us both hands are weapon free?

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

With your attitude I am amazed you can get that many people even wanting to shake hands with you, never mind offering a Wai!

Explain your logic, or in my view your lack of logic.  

Attitude?  I gave you my observation.  It is what it is, 90 percent of them offer a limp hand. 

So explain to all of us how a factual observation becomes an attitude.

Go on, make my day.

10 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Explain your logic, or in my view your lack of logic.  

Attitude?  I gave you my observation.  It is what it is, 90 percent of them offer a limp hand. 

So explain to all of us how a factual observation becomes an attitude.

Go on, make my day.

Have you ever given a "Wai" to a Thai person?

If you are in Thailand. Thais Wai, some others shake hands.

I suggest you change your western bigoted attitude to Thai or all you will get is a disdainful "limp handshake" assuming you actually leave here.

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

Have you ever given a "Wai" to a Thai person?

The first sentence in the thread starter was this: "I may have wai'ed a Thai 3 times in all my years here."

How did you miss this?  Are you ok?

5 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

The first sentence in the thread starter was this: "I may have wai'ed a Thai 3 times in all my years here."

How did you miss this?  Are you ok?

You said "you may" have.  You did not say you had done so!

Nor did you say where "here" is, it could be Timbuktu for all we know!

Thai culture is not to shake hands. It's Wai which is Buddhist culture.

Of course, they don't want body contact in shaking hands which is western culture.

If Thai people go to foreign countries, of course, they will shake hands but not in Thailand which is their country.

7 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Honestly i wish the Wai becomes a common practice worldwide i dislike doing handshakes.

feeling very comfortable with Wais all together.

Many people don't realise that Wai is not unique to Thailand.

It's a Buddhist culture practiced in Myanmar, Cambodia and even Buddhist monks in China.

53 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

How did you notice both the action and the non action and why were you doing so?

I have noticed many Thais exiting stalls and heading directly out the men's room door. Some may stop at the mirror to fix their hair!

Archived