3D Zebra Crossing making a difference contrary to social media claims, says director

rooster59

3D Zebra Crossing making a difference contrary to social media claims, says director

1567777843535.jpg

Image: Thai News Agency MCOT

A Korat school director said that the installation of a 3D Zebra Crossing outside his school is making a positive difference to the driving habits of motorists. 

They are actually stopping to allow the children to cross. 

Many people online have slammed the 3D crossings as dangerous. They think that the appearance of white squares apparently floating in the air will make people brake hard and cause more accidents. 

Anuban Nakorn Ratchasima school director Suthon Kertmanee said that the social media criticism was unwarranted. On the ground it did not appear as scary as the netizens made out.

The crossing was improving matters and the project to install it - in conjunction with the police and the local authority - was justified, he said. 

Pictures had been posted by a Facebook user who condemned the idea with many people agreeing with him.

Source: Thai News Agency MCOT

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-07

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Many people online have slammed the 3D crossings as dangerous. They think that the appearance of white squares apparently floating in the air will make people brake hard and cause more accidents. 

They should drive slow enough if they even get near any zebra crossing.

It's like complaining the car in front braked too hard. If you keep the distance then it does not matter.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:
1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

They should drive slow enough if they even get near any zebra crossing.

It's like complaining the car in front braked too hard. If you keep the distance then it does not matter.

'Keeping your distance' Have you been reading some fiction recently?

While agreeing 100% with you, we know concentration and anticipation are not used much here.

tMy experience in Pattaya the  marked “zebra” crossings with stop lights blinking on Beach Rd did not stop the ting-tong drivers (the drivers that did stop for pedestrians were mostly farangs behind the wheel) Thais naturally do not follow rules of the road. It seems to be part of their culture. I think that is why so many of my Thai friends ( with decent jobs) love to vacation in Japan. They enjoy the cleanliness, organization and rules that work for the benefit of everyone. 

3 hours ago, toenail said:

My experience in Pattaya the  marked “zebra” crossings with stop lights blinking on Beach Rd did not stop the ting-tong drivers (the drivers that did stop for pedestrians were mostly farangs behind the wheel)

I very rarely stop at pedestrian crossings! I found that it was far more dangerous to stop than it was to just ignore pedestrians as if I stopped nobody else would, end result was pedestrians were lulled into a false sense of security! :shock1:

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

'Keeping your distance' Have you been reading some fiction recently?

While agreeing 100% with you, we know concentration and anticipation are not used much here.

Impossible to keep your distance here !!! Or you will drive back as there always will be someone to overtake and go between you and the front car !!!!

23 hours ago, tifino said:

surprised the Director didn't have it go one step further... and paint the image of a pedestrian on it!

You can joke but they accualy did it years ago in Canada near a school. The image "appeared" when you were about 30m away from it. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/LZnguX1DbKUx3GMv7

They made it as a test for 1 week. After they removed it again scared it would cause to many accidents.

9 hours ago, CGW said:

I very rarely stop at pedestrian crossings! I found that it was far more dangerous to stop

Yes, unfortunately this is true.

I learned pretty quickly that no one is expecting you to stop. The pedestrians who look at you perplexed and the driver behind that plows into you, equally. 

They're simply places for people to cross the road when it is safe to do so. 

just my 2 cents

Do pedestrians have the right of way in Australia?
In general, drivers are required by law to give way to pedestrians in the following situations: At pedestrian crossings and in shared zones. ... When the driver is turning left or right at an intersection the driver must give way to any pedestrian at or near the intersection who is crossing the road the driver is entering.

Archived