Mint Booting problem!

maxcorrigan

42 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Try advanced option and there should be a compatibility or rescue mode. 

You can install Ubuntu as dual boot but it can get messy if you want to uninstall it while keeping mint. 

No there is no compatibility or rescue mode at all,IMG_20190919_194400bb.thumb.jpg.b64ecb09538dbc0256b78a0e66eead7b.jpg only after clicking on advanced (as below" that brings up "recovery mode" then normal boot into mint, the way i'm doing it now

51 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Try advanced option and there should be a compatibility or rescue mode. 

You can install Ubuntu as dual boot but it can get messy if you want to uninstall it while keeping mint. 

I must thank you for putting yourself to all this trouble to find a way out of my booting problem, where are you located by the way just out of interest, time zones mean a lot when it comes to communicating, i'm in Thailand 21.22 here at the moment! 

8 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

I must thank you for putting yourself to all this trouble to find a way out of my booting problem, where are you located by the way just out of interest, time zones mean a lot when it comes to communicating, i'm in Thailand 21.22 here at the moment! 

I'm in Thailand in Suphanburi province. I would fix your pc for free if I could access it but you are probably too far. 

A quick thing you can try is ctrl+alt+F1 (or F2,F3,F4). A couple seconds after the screen get blank. That should switch you to another console. If this work then you have issue with the graphic driver. If your internet is working I can give you a command to connect to my server then I can fix it from there. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tayaout said:

A quick thing you can try is ctrl+alt+F1 (or F2,F3,F4). A couple seconds after the screen get blank. That should switch you to another console. If this work then you have issue with the graphic driver. If your internet is working I can give you a command to connect to my server then I can fix it from there. 

I am in Sattahip Chonburi, and internet is working fine, i will try your suggestions, as i have said i am very much a noob albeit 80 yr old TIA!

7 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

I am in Sattahip Chonburi, and internet is working fine, i will try your suggestions, as i have said i am very much a noob albeit 80 yr old TIA!

Tried the cntr alt f1,2,3,4, nothing happened, if you can give me the where withall to connect with your server that would be just great, and very kind of you, presumably you just tap it into the terminal, correct? 

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

Tried the cntr alt f1,2,3,4, nothing happened, if you can give me the where withall to connect with your server that would be just great, and very kind of you, presumably you just tap it into the terminal, correct? 

I will send you my line contact tomorrow when I get time. 

I will document how to force boot into console in case there is issue with the video driver.

From the grub menu press "e" for edit mode. 

IMG_20190921_115755.jpg

This is the default boot code:

IMG_20190921_115514.jpg

Remove the "quiet" and add a "3" at then end of the line starting with "linux". 

IMG_20190921_115628.jpg

Press F10 to boot. Now it should boot directly to the console. From there we can start to fix your issue. 

IMG_20190921_120826.jpg

Change to the grub menu are not persistent and will revert to default on next boot. 

Edited by Tayaout

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I will document how to force boot into console in case there is issue with the video driver.

IMG_20190921_115755.jpg

IMG_20190921_115514.jpg

IMG_20190921_115628.jpg

Press F10 to boot. Now it should boot directly to the console. From there we can start to fix your issue. 

IMG_20190921_120826.jpg

Change to the grub menu are not persistent and will revert to default on next boot. 

IMG_20190921_115755.jpg

IMG_20190921_115514.jpg

IMG_20190921_115628.jpg

IMG_20190921_120826.jpg

OK i think i got through OK

IMG_20190921_115755.jpg

IMG_20190921_115514.jpg

IMG_20190921_115628.jpg

IMG_20190921_120826.jpg

Ok i think i did that OK, after f10 i got this screenIMG_20190921_143354.thumb.jpg.5b4ae763f0d8abd3ee9cc73e09e7c733.jpg

18 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

You did it! You can now login using your username and password. I added you on line since it will be faster this way. 

My log in details t kept simple ie. max pw/aa it does not seem to recognise either one, at the moment, where you input your PW nothing appears!

Edited by maxcorrigan

2 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

My log in details t kept simple ie. max pw/aa it does not seem to recognise either one, at the moment

You can try user "root" and your password. Otherwise it is the username and password that was set when installing Linux. 

10 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

You can try user "root" and your password. Otherwise it is the username and password that was set when installing Linux. 

Well i tried root >enter > password >aa but nothing appears

In fact thinking back i did'nt use a name just open up and where needed p/w aa

Edited by maxcorrigan

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

When you type your password on most Linux console nothing appears for security reasons. 

Just tried to boot from scratch, the mint emblem comes up after a while and stays there for a good 20 seconds before going and leaving a black screen again!

6 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Just tried to boot from scratch, the mint emblem comes up after a while and stays there for a good 20 seconds before going and leaving a black screen again!

Yes the cinnamon desktop use video acceleration by default. If you don't install the proprietary video driver then it will never work. You can't fix this with a blank screen and this is why I showed you how to boot into console mode.

You should really consider installing Ubuntu instead then install the cinnamon desktop later. It would be much easier and faster then trying to fix Mint which is simply a modified Ubuntu system with cinnamon preinstalled. 

Edited by Tayaout

29 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Yes the cinnamon desktop use video acceleration by default. If you don't install the proprietary video driver then it will never work. You can't fix this with a blank screen and this is why I showed you how to boot into console mode.

You should really consider installing Ubuntu instead then install the cinnamon desktop later. It would be much easier and faster then trying to fix Mint which is simply a modified Ubuntu system with cinnamon preinstalled. 

I think you've hit there, everytime i have got into mint i get the message below, have tried to update this several times, is there a terminal line i can use to fix this?

IMG_20190921_160246.jpg

11 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I think you've hit there, everytime i have got into mint i get the message below, have tried to update this several times, is there a terminal line i can use to fix this?

IMG_20190921_160246.jpg

The post where you posted the output of "lspci -k" seems to have been deleted. From memory I think you have an AMD card. 

Looking at this thread it seems like this could be problematic:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=273229

The AMD Catalyst (fglrx) drivers are not compatible with Xorg 1.18, which is the version used in Linux Mint 18.

These drivers are proprietary and so their code is not available. AMD indicated they no longer wanted to support them and urged their customers to use open-source drivers instead.

If you are using an ATI GPU in Linux Mint 18, the operating system will either select the Radeon or AMDGPU drivers for you, and these are installed by default.

From the console it's possible to install anything but you need to know the exact model of the graphic card to know which driver is needed. 

Edited by Tayaout

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

The post where you posted the output of "lspci -k" seems to have been deleted. From memory I think you have an AMD card. 

Looking at this thread it seems like this could be problematic:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=273229

From the console it's possible to install anything but you need to know the exact model of the graphic card to know which driver is needed. 

Looks like i am sunk then, how can i find out which graphic card is installed? take the back off!

2 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Looks like i am sunk then, how can i find out which graphic card is installed? take the back off!

"lspci -k"

You already posted the output but the post has been deleted. 

Install Ubuntu! 

16 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

7 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Not a bad idea but wont fix his current issue. 

Below are the labels on the front of the Laptop, that's all i know!

IMG_20190921_164343.jpg

IMG_20190919_194147.jpg

21 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

"lspci -k"

You already posted the output but the post has been deleted. 

Install Ubuntu! 

Trouble is i have not been able to install anything from a USB until i have cleaned off all the stuff i have on the laptop hence the dban each time which takes 8 1/2 hrs