Bank and Immigration experience this morning.

Badrabbit

my experience  retirement extension 10 minutes

picking up after 1 pm next day, 1 copy and  getting re entry 30 minutes to 1 hour cause their lazy.

Always got it same day, different strokes I suppose.....

past 4 years NEVER have been able to pick it up same day in PHUKET  nor have i seen Anyone else being able to

Phuket, (unlike Pattaya) does not require you report after 90 days to show you still have the money in the bank
BUT assume next year they will check you did and if not....sorry NO extension

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if I am hijacking your OP.  You are lucky it wasn't Samui IO!  We have only one woman who handles one-year-extensions (brown hair, overweight, 35ish) and she asks for 5000B if you want it in one hour or 1900B in one week.  This year, I had a new passport, so she added 600B for the stamp transfer. Last year, I foolishly paid 5000B because she mumbled something about passports disappearing.  This year I paid her 2500B, got a ticket, and said I'd be back in a week.  The following week I returned to get my passport and she looked like she had seen a ghost.  She said it would be a while.  Apparently, she had just put my paperwork in a drawer and forgotten about it.  After about an hour she called me forward and pointed at my passport, which noted "3 days late 2000B fine."  I said I was 3 days early last week when I came.  She frowned and just slid the passport to me.  I have never been late for an extension or ninety days and really don't like having that stamp in there.  I guess I can complain to the Fraud Watch but what would that accomplish?

Edited by parallaxtech
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, bluesmon said:

Always got it same day, different strokes I suppose.....

Different Immigration offices. Jomtien has been "next day service" as far back as I can recall. Of course, my memory is shorter than my tallywhacker, so take that as you will.

Not Darling but kept going on about how handsome and young looking I was, I was happy to play along!!

Arrrrgh- we're being threadjacked with irrelevant comments yet again grrrrrr. Why do they descend on us?

Glad it went well for you. Since they had the sort out things have been pretty smooth there, its far better doing this in the separate office.

Did the outside IO call you 'Darling' as well? He seemed to take a shine to me, [emoji3059]

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dake333 said:

But it's a retirement visa that most people refer as. Ya know the Thais have nicknames for everything including themselves. So why not nickname it a Retirement Visa. Much easier.

Why not? Because it is incorrect, and with different rules applicable it can be confusing.

Just call it as it is named, an extension based on retirement.

3 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

Yea sorry I should have mentioned "retirement extension of stay"

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He is wrong about visas can only be obtained outside Thailand. You can for example start with a 60 days TR Visa obtained in your home country,then at the local Immigration office, with the required documents and the TM86-form, after 30 days, you can convert the tourist visa into a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa based on retirement. That Visa is exactly same as the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa obtained in your home country. This conversion is very common. After 60 days you can apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement. But only if you meet the requirements,but that's another story.

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

He is wrong about visas can only be obtained outside Thailand. You can for example start with a 60 days TR Visa obtained in your home country,then at the local Immigration office, with the required documents and the TM86-form, after 30 days, you can convert the tourist visa into a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa based on retirement. That Visa is exactly same as the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa obtained in your home country. This conversion is very common. After 60 days you can apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement. But only if you meet the requirements,but that's another story.

Thanks for pointing out the exception.

Can we now return to the topic at hand please.

16 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Arrrrgh- we're being threadjacked with irrelevant comments yet again grrrrrr. Why do they descend on us?

Glad it went well for you. Since they had the sort out things have been pretty smooth there, its far better doing this in the separate office.

Did the outside IO call you 'Darling' as well? He seemed to take a shine to me, ????

I really think it is the best interest of people having a great time in Thailand not to share their information anymore.      

positive topics and comments are not tolerated on TV. I don't start any positive topics about my positive experiences with immigration or anything really anymore unless the topic is about how to clean my air conditioner, and even those get dragged into the vomit lined streets of the "I hate you and myself and Thailand and everything about it" crew.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Why not? Because it is incorrect, and with different rules applicable it can be confusing.

Just call it as it is named, an extension based on retirement.

Your incorrect. It's an Non O visa extended for 1 year based on retirement. In layman terms, a Retirement  Visa.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dake333 said:

Your incorrect. It's an Non O visa extended for 1 year based on retirement. In layman terms, a Retirement  Visa.

It's always a confusing subject. A visa is administered outside Thailand at a Thai embassy or consulate. An extension is issued in Thailand by Thai immigration. So we might start with a visa outside Thailand and then extend inside Thailand.

Thai Immigration do not issue Visa , only extension.

Edit - so after the first year it's an extension based on retirement. 

Edited by LivinginKata