Bank and Immigration experience this morning.

Badrabbit

19 minutes ago, dake333 said:

Your incorrect. It's an Non O visa extended for 1 year based on retirement. In layman terms, a Retirement  Visa.

Sorry, no. The visa is not extended, the (permission to) stay is extended.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sorry, no. The visa is not extended, the (permission to) stay is extended.

No,you do extend the visa. The extension is based on retirement,but that refers to the initial visa, the Non-Immigrant O based on retirement. An extension is always based on something. It's same when you apply for a 30 days extension on your 60 days TR Visa. You extend your initial visa. 

Even after three consecutive 1 year extensions,your visa is still the Non-Immigrant O based on retirement. 

22 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

No,you do extend the visa. The extension is based on retirement,but that refers to the initial visa, the Non-Immigrant O based on retirement. An extension is always based on something. It's same when you apply for a 30 days extension on your 60 days TR Visa. You extend your initial visa. 

Even after three consecutive 1 year extensions,your visa is still the Non-Immigrant O based on retirement. 

Why do people find the need to distract from the topic at hand? In this case even with incorrect information?

It is possible to change the reason for extension without changing the original visa. I entered e.g. on non-immigrant B, but have for years already an extension based on marriage. You extend your stay. A visa is used to enter a country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dake333 said:

Your incorrect. It's an Non O visa extended for 1 year based on retirement. In layman terms, a Retirement  Visa.

Thai immigration do not issue or extend visa's inside Thailand, its an extension of your stay not an extension of your visa. After entry, you can extend your stay based on retirement, marriage, thai children etc, irespective of the original visa you entered on.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

You extend a stay, not a visa. I entered on an O-A visa (retire) and I am now on a marriage extension, My marriage extension is nothing to do with the original visa I entered on.

Thats why you need a re-entry permit, you no longer have a visa to leave/enter the country with. if a visa was extended you would be free to leave and re-enter using that visa.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

When someone changes their visa type while in Thailand eg. from SETV to O, isn't that visa issued internally?

Yes, as part of the conversion process to an extension. a TR cant be extended beyond 90 days so technically its converted to an O then an extension when it expires.

You need a visa to enter and generate a stay (that can be extended) then the stay is extended, not the visa.

23 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

Sorry if I am hijacking your OP.  You are lucky it wasn't Samui IO!  We have only one woman who handles one-year-extensions (brown hair, overweight, 35ish) and she asks for 5000B if you want it in one hour or 1900B in one week.  This year, I had a new passport, so she added 600B for the stamp transfer. Last year, I foolishly paid 5000B because she mumbled something about passports disappearing.  This year I paid her 2500B, got a ticket, and said I'd be back in a week.  The following week I returned to get my passport and she looked like she had seen a ghost.  She said it would be a while.  Apparently, she had just put my paperwork in a drawer and forgotten about it.  After about an hour she called me forward and pointed at my passport, which noted "3 days late 2000B fine."  I said I was 3 days early last week when I came.  She frowned and just slid the passport to me.  I have never been late for an extension or ninety days and really don't like having that stamp in there.  I guess I can complain to the Fraud Watch but what would that accomplish?

You need to stop paying this corrupt official and get her ID no and report her to CW. Most immigration officials are not corrupt, believe it or not. Find an honest one and stop breaking the laws by supporting her.

13 minutes ago, claffey said:

You need to stop paying this corrupt official and get her ID no and report her to CW. 

Then hope like hell she has no connections to the sort of people who might pop around to rearrange your face

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Thai immigration do not issue or extend visa's inside Thailand, its an extension of your stay not an extension of your visa. After entry, you can extend your stay based on retirement, marriage, thai children etc, irespective of the original visa you entered on.

You're wrong. Every Thai Immigration office issues 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visas based on retirement. You just convert your 60 days TR Visa obtained in your home country after 30 days using form TM86 + meeting the financial requirements. Then you have a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa. It's exactly same as if you obtained it back home. 

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

They do extend your visa if it's based on for example retirement. Every extension is based on something. If your Visa is a Non-Immigrant O based on retirement,that's your Visa. It doesn't matter if it's extended 3 years in a row. It's still your visa. An extension is just an extension of your initial Visa.

You're wrong. Every Thai Immigration office issues 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visas based on retirement. You just convert your 60 days TR Visa obtained in your home country after 30 days using form TM86 + meeting the financial requirements. Then you have a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa. It's exactly same as if you obtained it back home. 
Every office does that? If so that's news to me. I thought it was only some offices.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

40 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

They do extend your visa if it's based on for example retirement. Every extension is based on something. If your Visa is a Non-Immigrant O based on retirement,that's your Visa. It doesn't matter if it's extended 3 years in a row. It's still your visa. An extension is just an extension of your initial Visa.

Why cant you leave or enter the country on this extended visa. could it be that a visa has not been extended ?

You need to get a re-entry permit because you dont have a visa anymore and it hasn't been extended.

A visa is an entry document. when you enter using it immigration at the border stamps a permission to stay in your passport, thats what you extend. See extension of stay stamp below, it doesnt say extension of visa

Related image

Edited by Peterw42

Why cant you leave or enter the country on this extended visa. could it be that a visa has not been extended ?
You need to get a re-entry permit because you dont have a visa anymore and it hasn't been extended.

A visa is an entry document. when you enter using it immigration at the border stamps a permission to stay in your passport, thats what you extend.
A reentry permit keeps the extension of the visa valid for reentry. Yes of course visas and extensions are different things. But extensions are always based on an original visa even if it was from 20 years ago.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

A reentry permit keeps the extension of the visa valid for reentry. Yes of course visas and extensions are different things. But extensions are always based on an original visa even if it was from 20 years ago.

How did I get a marriage extension then, I have never had a marriage visa to base it on.

If you had an extended visa, you wouldn't need a re-entry permit, you would re-enter using the valid visa.

44 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

How did I get a marriage extension then, I have never had a marriage visa to base it on.

If you had an extended visa, you wouldn't need a re-entry permit, you would re-enter using the valid visa.

You had an O visa of some kind, right?

Visa extension applications have a blank for visa. 

I've been extended my original non-immigrant O visa for over a decade. 

I've never left that visa field blank.

You're tripping now with the reentry thing.

Never said an extension is a visa. it's not. A reentry permit keeps the current extension (of a visa) valid for reentering. 

Also to add if a person breaks the chain of continuous EXTENSIONS of their original VISA, then what do they do if they still want to stay in Thailand.

Answer -- Get a new visa and after that an extension to that original visa, and on and on. 

Edited by Jingthing

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

He is wrong about visas can only be obtained outside Thailand. You can for example start with a 60 days TR Visa obtained in your home country,then at the local Immigration office, with the required documents and the TM86-form, after 30 days, you can convert the tourist visa into a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa based on retirement. That Visa is exactly same as the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa obtained in your home country. This conversion is very common. After 60 days you can apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement. But only if you meet the requirements,but that's another story.

I have a NON-O ME and go in October.

Is it possible to get a "Certificate of Residency" the same day after doing your TM 30 for the first time?

6 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I obtained a NON-O ME this week. On the visa sticker is nothing written it is for retired or Married or any other purpose???

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

As mentioned already, that is the exception. The standard is in country extensions, out of country visa.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, based on the original visa, but not an extension of visa but extension of permission to stay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Brok said:

I obtained a NON-O ME this week. On the visa sticker is nothing written it is for retired or Married or any other purpose???

Doesn't matter at all, you can extend your stay based on retirement, marriage or another valid reason.

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, based on the original visa, but not an extension of visa but extension of permission to stay.

I don't see it that way. 

If you start over, you don't start with an extension.

You start with a visa.

Every application for a new extension refers back to the original ViSA. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I don't see it that way. 

If you start over, you don't start with an extension.

You start with a visa.

Every application for a new extension refers back to the original ViSA. 

No, it does not.

I gave the example already earlier, I entered on b, but have extended for many years already based on marriage.

One can change the reason for extension, there is no relation with the visa on which one entered necessary.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

No, it does not.

I gave the example already earlier, I entered on b, but have extended for many years already based on marriage.

One can change the reason for extension, there is no relation with the visa on which one entered necessary.
Both types are based on the same original O visa unless you applied for a new O visa at some point.

12 hours ago, Max Brok said:

I obtained a NON-O ME this week

There's no such thing as a "Non-O". There's a "Non-Immigrant O" - and it beats me why people insist on say "Non-Immigrant" at all since every one of us is a Non-Immigrant. We've either got an O (of multiple varieties) or a B (of multiple varieties) or a Tourist Visa (Single or Multiple Entries) etc. etc.