is there already a black market for medical cannabis?

fvw53

The sister of my Thai wife has a daughter (now 25 years old) who suffers from epilepsy since she was a baby....severe epilepsy which may have caused brain damage so that she is now mentally retarded.

When my sister-in-law asked the doctor who is prescribing medication since more than 20 years for this unfortunate child...if she could try (liquid) medical cannabis it was refused under the pretext that there are still too many side effects ...as if the medication sold by big pharma which the doctor prescribes now has no side effects.

However my wife says that several of her former class mates (all mid 50 mid fifties) got the small bottles of liquid cannabis...through "connections" ...for a price of 1000 Baht and more...without a need to see a doctor.

I wonder if there is already a black market...explaining a "shortage" in the licensed hospitals

• Like 2

What would you do if you give her this medicine and if she would have bad side effects?

Would you go to the doctor and tell him what you did?

I don't expect an answer from you but I think you should think about this possibility in advance. Be prepared for the worst case scenario...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

The sister of my Thai wife has a daughter (now 25 years old) who suffers from epilepsy since she was a baby....severe epilepsy which may have caused brain damage so that she is now mentally retarded.

Never get involved in Thai family nonsense.

Let them sort it out themselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

When my sister-in-law asked the doctor who is prescribing medication since more than 20 years for this unfortunate child...if she could try (liquid) medical cannabis it was refused under the pretext that there are still too many side effects ...as if the medication sold by big pharma which the doctor prescribes now has no side effects.

However my wife says that several of her former class mates (all mid 50 mid fifties) got the small bottles of liquid cannabis...through "connections" ...for a price of 1000 Baht and more...without a need to see a doctor.

I wonder if there is already a black market...explaining a "shortage" in the licensed hospitals

If some of your wife's friends are getting the oil without a prescription then that would suggest there is a black market.I have also heard of several reports of people getting it from doctors that may or may not be registered/licensed.If you read the link I posted it seems the race might have begun and the cat's out of the bag and it's going to be tricky trying to stop this bolted horse. 

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

it seems the race might have begun and the cat's out of the bag and it's going to be tricky trying to stop this bolted horse. 

cats and horses ?    

• Haha 1

Closed in keeping with forum rules about discussion of illegal activities.

In addition to being illegal, procuring CBD oil "black market" is unwise, there are a lot of products out there not developed with proper quality control and there have been a rash of reports of side effects, some serious, as a result. (Among other things uncontrolled pesticide use may contaminate the product and have toxic effects).

GPO, the Government Pharmaceutical Organization, has developed a quality assurred product that will be available  in  few months. wait for that is my advice.

As to the doctor's reluctance it may be for the quality control reasons I just mentioned. Once the GPO product is out ask him again. If that fails change doctors.

IMO the introduction of medical cannabis has been very badly handled here, they should have waited until there were FDA approved products on the market rather than opening the gates to substandard products with predictable consequences.