UK economy shows unexpected strength in July, dampening recession fears

snoop1130

On 9/9/2019 at 12:28 PM, worgeordie said:

Has the pound moved yet......I mean up !......no ,I thought not.

regards worgeordie

GBP is rushing again to the level it was before Brexit: € 1,40. Then up to where it was, when the British also were invited to join Euro: €1,70

But for now… € 1,12...

15 hours ago, stevenl said:

So what is all the ruckus about in parliament?

The ECONOMIC Brexit. Once abroad, they will NOT so easly return to the home country. Unfortunately Brexiteers ONLY read SOME ( English) newspapers.

See  https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/buitenland/artikel/4841871/britten-steken-door-brexit-meer-geld-nederland , translated with www.deepl.com

In 2016, British multinationals still put 14 billion euros into Dutch companies. Two years later, the figure had risen to 80 billion euros, according to Statistics Netherlands (CBS).
In 2016, the more than 1,300 British subsidiaries of multinationals active in the Netherlands already created 114,000 jobs. After the United States, Germany and France, they were the most important foreign employer in the Netherlands.

The Netherlands withdraws
Dutch companies, on the other hand, started to invest less in the United Kingdom in the same period. In 2016, Dutch companies were still investing 50 billion euros in the United Kingdom, but by 2017 that figure had already fallen to less than half.
Last year, there was even a divestment of 11 billion euros.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

or

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2019/09/british-investments-in-the-netherlands-soar-as...

1 dag geleden · British companies have upped their investments in the Netherlands more than five-fold since the Brexit referendum in 2018, according to new calculations by ...

9-9-2019 · British investments in the Netherlands soared more than four-fold to 80 billion euros (71.92 billion pounds) since the referendum to leave the European ...

5-9-2019 · LONDON — British manufacturing is locked in a nosedive as orders and investment dry up due to the global slowdown and the Brexit crisis, a survey from ...

Wednesday’s data showed the services sector, which accounts for almost 80% of British economic output, expanded 0.3% in July after four months of stagnation, the biggest upturn since November 2018.

Manufacturing output increased unexpectedly last month, rising 0.3% in monthly terms, while the construction industry also fared better than expected, posting a 0.5% rise in output.

Isn't it possible that this „unexpected strength“ is an anxious reaction because of the upcoming Brexit?  People, companies are afraid of the negative Brexit results and buy or order in advance.

„Unexpected“???. Not for me, because you cannot exactly overlook the Brexit results in November at now,  you are not able to guess those dates/facts.

Therefore buying and ordering now (before November). After reading the November results, I will know if my assumption was right or not.

Edited by puck2