"Big Brother" Thailand ranks 6th in world for health services - beats Spain and France

webfact

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:45 AM, Chazar said:
  On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:59 PM, webfact said:

Satit said that the Thai ranking was great to see and that the country was the "Phee Berm" (Big Brother) of health in Asia. 

I dunno..if I needed health care in Asia, I think I would opt for Singapore over Thailand.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:29 AM, davidstipek said:

This previous Statement that I have responded to is Total <deleted>! Monitor please do not edit my Words, These Comments are Mine and My Surgeons Words, I was Treated at a Major Chiang Mai Hospital also... Not some Back Woods establishment!!

Why do you keep going back for more?

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:25 AM, Mick501 said:

Reading that chart it looks like the sole reason Thailand rates highly is cost.   It rates well down on actually medical skills and services.  The authoring magazine evidently gave a very heavy weighing to cost.

Same reason USA is ranked so low.

20 hours ago, Tayaout said:

All the doctors I have met spoke English. However, I don't understand why they should do. English is not even the most common language in this planet! 

well because English is the language of science and technology. Its the best and easiest of languages to learn, especially in the science context. 

Unfortunately, ones native language is a part of ones identity so its difficult to acknowledge that English is the ultimate lingua franca. Look at the French, clinging to their useless babble for ego reasons.

3 hours ago, wisperone said:

Same reason USA is ranked so low.

Even though the level of care is the finest in the world.

When I look at Dr. biographies I look to see where they were trained. The best ones made their bones in the USA.

20 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

well because English is the language of science and technology. Its the best and easiest of languages to learn, especially in the science context. 

Unfortunately, ones native language is a part of ones identity so its difficult to acknowledge that English is the ultimate lingua franca. Look at the French, clinging to their useless babble for ego reasons.

I speak French and you should too since it's supposed to be the language of diplomacy. 

5 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

That must be why the whole of the EU now uses English as the language in which it most usually conducts its affairs - https://www.legallanguage.com/legal-articles/language-of-diplomacy/

It was more meant as a joke but my point is that if you want to speak to a doctor in Thailand then learn Thai or stay in your superior English speaking country. All the doctor I've met here (2) asked me if I spoke Thai but they could speak both. But 0 nurse could speak English. 

4 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

It was more meant as a joke but my point is that if you want to speak to a doctor in Thailand then learn Thai or stay in your superior English speaking country. All the doctor I've met here (2) asked me if I spoke Thai but they could speak both. But 0 nurse could speak English. 

How odd. I've never met a Thai doctor who couldn't speak English (I use St Louis Hospital). With my bank we now muddle along with Google Translate if it gets too complicated, but most staff speak basic English. The same for True service centres in central Bangkok. As far as I'm concerned there is little to no need for me to speak Thai

Just now, ThaiBunny said:

How odd. I've never met a Thai doctor who couldn't speak English (I use St Louis Hospital). With my bank we now muddle along with Google Translate if it gets too complicated, but most staff speak basic English. The same for True service centres in central Bangkok. As far as I'm concerned there is little to no need for me to speak Thai

My sample size is 2 so not big enough but I don't expect any of them to speak English. 

When I first came to LOS and needed something I went to Bumrungrad because I assumed it was the best and English there was good; I assumed the government hospitals didn't treat foreigners. Now that I am in a relationship with a Thai, she and I go to both Bumrungrad and a couple of government hospitals (we both have health issues), but gradually are shifting to the government because we are able to evaluate which ones are best, language is not an issues, and if you pick and choose the government are as good as Bumrungrad, much more reasonable in price and less chance of ordering unnecessary procedures.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:59 AM, Tayaout said:

All the doctors I have met spoke English. However, I don't understand why they should do. English is not even the most common language in this planet! 

Try geographically and not by population and add all that got English as secondary language. It's clearly the most widespread and the closest the planet has to a universal one.

Thailand is only consider good because the cost is so low compare to western countries for the same service. But if you want to compare the expertise and skills of doctor, it falls far behind of doctors in Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore.

Taiwan and South Korea are the hidden gems of medical tourism. The costs there are far lower than Thailands private hospital as well. For many procedures, its only half the cost.

Archived