Are western falang no longer welcome in Thailand

Garbol56

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most farangs come from multi-cultural societies. Thailand is a mono-culture. That is why they are always forcing farangs to speak Thai and follow their rules and customs.

Farangs don't get it.

Farangs in the west don't understand the cold war with China and Asia. Thai's do.

Thai's see farangs as engaging in a sort of cold war in their country. The farangs are trying to change Thailand to be multi-cultural, the farangs are creating enclaves with in Thailand, just as Asian do in Canada, US, UK, Australia etc.

15 minutes ago, rumak said:

Well,  I do sense there is a strong dislike from Thais that come into contact with rude, entitled, arrogant, disrespectful, complaining, loud, smelly, shirtless, uncouth foreigners. (feel free to add to list)

Not only Thais.

I am experiencing groups of rude and arrogant Chinese and Indians keep cutting in line in front of me at 7-11.

Then they have several food items each that need heating or toasting by the cashiers, which increases my wait time exponentially.  

Whats up with that? 

When will we get a self-check out line at 7-11?   ????

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

The Thais never liked westerners. They only admired our power. 

Asia is the most xenophobic place on earth, and many reputable Asian and non-Asian authors have written about this. 

Part of what is happening now is a Thai realignment away from the West to China, it's brother and with whom it has deep cultural affinity.

The Thais with influence are almost exclusively of Chinese ethnicity and will inevitably align with Chinese nationalistic sentiment. 

There are many old farang who, due to

* being unconnected with Thais of any influence,

* and interacting predominantly with a selection of poorly educated Thais such as having transactional relationships with Thai women based on sex and companionship in exchange for pension monies, 

* or having been in careers that required very little global knowledge or education 

... are fairly clueless as to the shifting geopolitics and xenophobia. Many are guys who genuinely believe that any Thais who smile at them do so genuinely and because they are deserving of such regard. 

So why the hell you are here posting on THAI visa

25 minutes ago, rumak said:

Well,  I do sense there is a strong dislike from Thais that come into contact with rude, entitled, arrogant, disrespectful, complaining, loud, smelly, shirtless, uncouth foreigners. (feel free to add to list)

I have observed that the majority of said foreigners are from western countries.  

These situations are mostly in the tourist areas or where farangs have retired en masse (CM for example)

The majority of farangs are not  bad but with the increased number of retirees and long stayers over the last ten years or so the saying "a few bad apples can spoil the bunch"  now applies.   Thais (not just the govt ! ) are getting sick of it ....... as am I.    Fortunately those of us who live away from groups of farangs are indeed unaware of any animosity and are doing pretty well, thank you. 

My nearest permanent farang neighbour is 6 km away and the next that I know are about 22 km away.

9 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

farangs are creating enclaves with in Thailand,

Your post does not coincide with my perspective Don.

But I think I "get it" anyway. am a relative newbie and appreciate how other see societies and cultures

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

and god help you if you start a topic about how happy you are in Thailand on this forum.

the Misery Zombies swarm over you like The Walking Dead.

and now the Misery Zombies are PMing me! :clap2:

why would anyone start sending insulting messages to someone they don't know or has ever interacted with just because you said you are happy living in Thailand?  

23 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Most farangs come from multi-cultural societies. Thailand is a mono-culture. That is why they are always forcing farangs to speak Thai and follow their rules and customs.

Farangs don't get it.

Farangs in the west don't understand the cold war with China and Asia. Thai's do.

Thai's see farangs as engaging in a sort of cold war in their country. The farangs are trying to change Thailand to be multi-cultural, the farangs are creating enclaves with in Thailand, just as Asian do in Canada, US, UK, Australia etc.

can I have some what you are having?

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

and now the Misery Zombies are PMing me! :clap2:

why would anyone start sending insulting messages to someone they don't know or has ever interacted with just because you said you are happy living on Thailand?  

Because, they are cu.....solly na, they're from Scunthorpe.

:crazy:

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My nearest permanent farang neighbour is 6 km away and the next that I know are about 22 km away.

Too close for me !    hahaha     You know,  if you have a good wife/family  or gf  and things of interest to do then really not much need to be near a city.    I go to CM about once every 10 days and that is more than enough city life/ farang interaction for me.   

I admit that until about 10 years ago I was a little more social....... so age is a factor.

1 hour ago, grollies said:

What's your problem? The OP has raised a very important subject here, given the current perceived attitude of Thai Immigration, government and the local populus at large towards western expats. Its about time someone had the balls to start a discussion on this topic on an open forum such as Thai Visa.

I don't have any problem, apart from boring repeated assumptions. Immigration have a job to do I just comply with it, and what's perceived got to do with it, if the OP thinks Thailand is hostile don't retire here then.

15 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

why would anyone start sending insulting messages to someone they don't know or has ever interacted with just because you said you are happy living on Thailand?

Don't let those insults change you man.  I enjoy all the posts of yours that I have seen. :happy:

On a day to day level I have not noticed any change whatsoever.

I have no immigration woes (Elite Visa), so nothing has changed on a personal level. 

The only thing I have noticed on a day to day level is a lot more expats moaning on ThaiVisa.com about the immigration regulations being more strictly enforced. 

With so many Westerners moaning about immigration issues or being rejected at the Airports etc it would seem that there is an increasing number of issues, but that seems to me to be more about a strengthening in the enforcement of existing but somewhat vague regulations. 

There could be a lot of sour posters who've claim a xenophobic edge to the Immigration policies, they may be correct, but any policing of immigration regulations will of course seem xenophobic by their very nature that they are to 'control' foreigners. 

For those who meet all the requirements it would seem that there are no issues and no indications of xenophobia. 

The TM30 requirement is just outrageously daft, I suspect that with the next changing of the guard within the immigration department a new chief of immigration may see fit to abort this daft regulation. 

On the specific point of 'are Western Falang no longer Welcome?'....  I doubt we are given much thought at all outside of Immigration. 

The Thais never liked westerners. They only admired our power. 

The thais never like you. You say before you don’t have any Thai friend.

But other farang have thai friend, happy life.

Asia is the most xenophobic place on earth, and many reputable Asian and non-Asian authors have written about this. 

Who?

There are many old farang who, due to

* being unconnected with Thais of any influence,

* and interacting predominantly with a selection of poorly educated Thais such as having transactional relationships with Thai women based on sex and companionship in exchange for pension monies, 

* or having been in careers that required very little global knowledge or education 

... are fairly clueless as to the shifting geopolitics and xenophobia. Many are guys who genuinely believe that any Thais who smile at them do so genuinely and because they are deserving of such regard. 

Fex have the big imagination he the important guy and all the Thais care and talk about him. 

But most Thai do not think anything about farang. Do england people in England care about thai people? No, they care about there own live.

sorry Fex, you are not important to thai people. Nobody even want to be friend together with you.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The TM30 requirement is just outrageously daft, I suspect that with the next changing of the guard within the immigration department a new chief of immigration may see fit to abort this daft regulation. 

It's gonna take more than a change at immigration. It will take a change of the one at the top who is paranoid about security and foreigners. Can't see that happening any time soon.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

On the specific point of 'are Western Falang no longer Welcome?'....  I doubt we are given much thought at all outside of Immigration. 

That's for sure!

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

Forcing farang to speak thai??????? 

Not true. At all.

Most farang can not speak thai. Don’t know about thai custom.

Farangs don't get it.

I never hear any my friend talk about this war??????????

Thai's see farangs as engaging in a sort of cold war in their country.

Really? Most Thais do not care about farang at all. Most Thai don’t see farang, just not important to our life. 

You imagination same Fex. 

Sorry you are not important.

The farangs are trying to change Thailand to be multi-cultural,

Farang can not change us. 

How they will do it? 

I do so only to illustrate how facile arguments are that suggest it is only farang without money or who have led uninspired lives who have noticed Thailand's changing geopolitics and xenophobia. 

The regional signs of anti westernism and anti globalism are EVERYWHERE! Particularly strong in China and its derivative countries like Thailand. 

Below is a video of what is happening in China - which I can confirm as several prominent business friends have left are in the process of leaving.

Thainand is no different, and more forum members would know if they knew people of any significance in Thailand, as opposed to random broke farangs. 

What point are you trying to make with that video?

The cases quoted in that dull and largely pointless show were grand examples of 

flouncing.

And to use that as an example of how bad Thailand may become is ridiculous as 

one of the flouncers has relocated to Thailand as it is a better place to raise his 

half Chinese children.

Also if those 2 clowns on their mopeds are an example of the hi so expat circles you

move in, or admire so much, then you really need to take a good look at yourself

and question your life choices.

OP forget it. Just do not retire in Thailand. They do not want us here for the foreseeable future. Google "srrv philippines" or "malaysia M2H" and you'll see what neighboring countries do to attract retirees. There is absolutely nothing of the sort here in Thailand.

Just don't waste your hard earned retirement time and money in this xenophobic dump.

36 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

OP forget it. Just do not retire in Thailand. They do not want us here for the foreseeable future. Google "srrv philippines" or "malaysia M2H" and you'll see what neighboring countries do to attract retirees. There is absolutely nothing of the sort here in Thailand.

Just don't waste your hard earned retirement time and money in this xenophobic dump.

Do you have any substantial evidence that would suggest the Filipino or Malay citizens are 

any more or less xenophobic?

3 hours ago, rumak said:

I have observed that the majority of said foreigners are from western countries.  

These situations are mostly in the tourist areas or where farangs have retired en masse (CM for example)

The majority of farangs are not  bad but with the increased number of retirees and long stayers over the last ten years or so the saying "a few bad apples can spoil the bunch"  now applies.   Thais (not just the govt ! ) are getting sick of it ....... as am I.    Fortunately those of us who live away from groups of farangs are indeed unaware of any animosity and are doing pretty well, thank you. 

Example a couple of months back at MAKRO on the Superhighway in Chiang Mai. Two 50+ yr old Aussie guys both well overweight in very worn tight football shorts, no tops at all, both wearing dirty thongs, both had obvious loud bar girls in tow, loud and with minimum of clothing. All 4 yelling at each other and asking staff for many OZ grocery items (e.g. large four n twenty meat pies) which were not in stock. One guy deliberately frightening little kids. Both guys claiming that alcohol purchase restriction times didn't apply to them because 'we don't have that law in Australia'. Both yelling 'bring the manager' which was ignored.

I don't think so per se, op (though some elites would rather you think so), but 'they' do want the persona of Thailand as a sleazy tourist destination changed... i.e. tarty bars / dishevelled whitey westerners. This has been the ethos of many up-top folk for years and I've been saying it for years, but it is especially poignant now with the army in full flow.

There does seem to be, however, a subtle up-yours-rest-of-the-world push from China in regards to the west and its peoples. Hmmm 

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Not only Thais.

I am experiencing groups of rude and arrogant Chinese and Indians keep cutting in line in front of me at 7-11.

Then they have several food items each that need heating or toasting by the cashiers, which increases my wait time exponentially.  

Whats up with that? 

When will we get a self-check out line at 7-11?   ????

Cutting in line in front of you???????? I look forward to this type of thing happening, they don't remain in front of me for long, perhaps 2-3 seconds. 

I don't and won't stand for their <deleted>!

54 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Example a couple of months back at MAKRO on the Superhighway in Chiang Mai. Two 50+ yr old Aussie guys both well overweight in very worn tight football shorts, no tops at all, both wearing dirty thongs, both had obvious loud bar girls in tow, loud and with minimum of clothing. All 4 yelling at each other and asking staff for many OZ grocery items (e.g. large four n twenty meat pies) which were not in stock. One guy deliberately frightening little kids. Both guys claiming that alcohol purchase restriction times didn't apply to them because 'we don't have that law in Australia'. Both yelling 'bring the manager' which was ignored.

Yep..... in shopping areas, in banks,  at internet offices, malls, immigration .  We all have witnessed it. THAT is why Thais are no longer impressed with foreigners.  Actually it is hard to believe that Thais can be so tolerant of Farangs acting like a...holes.   Any thread started on this forum about Thais "changing attitudes towards Farangs"  only need to observe what scorecard and I have all too often.

Archived