Are western falang no longer welcome in Thailand

Garbol56

14 hours ago, Garbol56 said:

Is it just me or does it seem that the current Thai government is hostile towards western falangs, my plan was to retire to Thailand in 2 years but I'm having second thoughts. 

A lot can happen in 2 years so now I will sit back on my couch with some popcorn and watch how it unfolds. 

it's not only you but a bunch of others who were/are not capable of adjusting to a few bothering laws and regulations. stay home and eat popcorn if you can't afford real food as this forum has already more than enough resident whiners and whingers.

:coffee1: 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

I watch Thai news everyday...in my opinion, this is a violent culture...arguments are settled in violent ways...women are not safe from their husbands or boyfriends, children receive harsh punishment from their teachers, dissidents disappear, and yes even farangs are not exempt from the carnage...????

This would be classified as gross misinformation.  If you sat around all day watching US news, you might believe America was an incredibly violent place.  But if you actually walk outside and deal with real Thais on a regular basis, you'll see none of that.  I've been in Thailand 15+ years and can honestly say I've never experienced violence towards me from the locals.  Had a couple of close calls with drunken farangs, but even that was in a bar situation. 

13 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Normal people don't maintain residences? 

I maintain my residence as best as my knowledge allows,

sometimes I need to employ outside contractors for the

more demanding jobs.

Do you offer your services elsewhere or only at Wireless Rd?

14 hours ago, emptypockets said:

The perception you allude to is only on this forum exacerbated by the people who reside in the farang ghettos of Pattaya and Phuket. They seem to feed on each others misery (lack of funds perhaps) and blame Thailand for all their woes.

They try to do outdo each other in their whining about Thailand and all things Thai.

Possibly they got burnt by an uneducated farm girl...imagine that?

Add in the losers who couldn't survive and went home with their tails between their legs but continue posting in their ill perceived status as elder statesman of the forum.

As an added benefit include the guys who spent 2 weeks in Pattaya ten years ago who see themselves as the font of all knowledge about Thailand and Thai people but now can't wean themselves off the forum and you have the perfect storm.

To the OP...there are many. many more people who have happily made Thailand their home than will ever post on this forum.

Give it a go and see for yourself.

Please don't involve Phuket in this. Do agree with other parts of your post, but IMo it has nothing to do with place of residence.

10 minutes ago, sotsira said:

I maintain my residence as best as my knowledge allows,

sometimes I need to employ outside contractors for the

more demanding jobs.

Do you offer your services elsewhere or only at Wireless Rd?

I've offered my services all over, but I'm assuming you don't qualify, unless you are a fit 20-something Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese or Eastern European woman. 

Are you such a person?

13 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I do so only to illustrate how facile arguments are that suggest it is only farang without money or who have led uninspired lives who have noticed Thailand's changing geopolitics and xenophobia. 

The regional signs of anti westernism and anti globalism are EVERYWHERE! Particularly strong in China and its derivative countries like Thailand. 

Below is a video of what is happening in China - which I can confirm as several prominent business friends have left are in the process of leaving.

Thainand is no different, and more forum members would know if they knew people of any significance in Thailand, as opposed to random broke farangs. 

How do random broke farangs manage to stay or even survive in the LOS. I have long holidays in Pattaya, have met lots of people but don't know any broke farangs.

If you've got no money nor the necessary visa you're out the door.

Although admittedly I don't know any 'people of any significance' either.

13 hours ago, rumak said:

Too close for me !    hahaha     You know,  if you have a good wife/family  or gf  and things of interest to do then really not much need to be near a city.    I go to CM about once every 10 days and that is more than enough city life/ farang interaction for me.   

I admit that until about 10 years ago I was a little more social....... so age is a factor.

Well the guy who lives 5 km away is Belgian and speaks little English plus I forgot the Austrian guy who has a resort with his wife about 8 km away.

Like you I live in a rural village and can always find things to do. My wife shares a makan stall with 2 neighbours at the roadside out the front of the house.

I go to the local village about 2 or 3 times a week and up to Khampaeng Phet 65 km away once a month for a hospital check up, any Immigration stuff I have to do and a bulk shop. I don't see that many farangs in KPP either. Sometimes I meet with some friends up there and we have some lunch and a beer or 2, though I have given alcohol if I have a 65 km journey home.

13 hours ago, Yinn said:

The thais never like you. You say before you don’t have any Thai friend.

But other farang have thai friend, happy life.

Who?

Fex have the big imagination he the important guy and all the Thais care and talk about him. 

But most Thai do not think anything about farang. Do england people in England care about thai people? No, they care about there own live.

sorry Fex, you are not important to thai people. Nobody even want to be friend together with you.

Thats no true Yinn.

People in England especially those who've holidayed in the LOS do care about Thai people as do falangs in other Western countries who know Thailand.

We were concerned about the Tsunami when it hit and how the Thai people were coping. Western falang countries offered help and collected and sent money.

We were concerned about the boys trapped in the cave and it was actually an Englishman who went down and helped get them out.

Many falangs send money to Thai people every month. I know a man who sends money on a regular basis to a girl he met in a bar in Pattaya. We tell him he's a fool but he still does it.

12 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Do you have any substantial evidence that would suggest the Filipino or Malay citizens are 

any more or less xenophobic?

Give 'em a chance to get used to us.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

I've offered my services all over, but I'm assuming you don't qualify, unless you are a fit 20-something Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese or Eastern European woman. 

Are you such a person?

Ooh...Fex.... services, that does sound naughty!

Be careful though, you know what happened to that Einstein bloke in a us jail - big friend of Andy, didn't end well.

7 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

I watch Thai news everyday...in my opinion, this is a violent culture...arguments are settled in violent ways...women are not safe from their husbands or boyfriends, children receive harsh punishment from their teachers, dissidents disappear, and yes even farangs are not exempt from the carnage...????

No I'm sorry, I cannot go along with this, as a school teacher for three years, I never saw any harsh punishment against children, have never had any altercation with a Thai, there is violence in the home in any country.

58 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

No I'm sorry, I cannot go along with this, as a school teacher for three years, I never saw any harsh punishment against children, have never had any altercation with a Thai, there is violence in the home in any country.

Severe beatings by Thai teachers are in the news often...girls are not spared excessive even criminal punishment...not making this stuff up!  Sorry you choose to defend Thai aggressive behavior.... 

I am happy that I did nor open this can of worms...after 16 days in Thailand and Vietnam I can say that longterm stay in Thailand defo NOT is easy...for sure (like in my case) if you do NOT have a Thai partner. I met to understand that a Longterm (1 year) Viet visum (ME) can simply be bought for 550 USD...!! Yes thats right....

I found Vietnam surprisingly open end friendly...less scams too...and way cheaper as Thailand...allthough I must say WHY O why they do have such hard matresses in Vietnam...we were in 3 different places...and in al 3 hotels very hard matrases:-(...NOT good...a real attack on my back:-( Andf NO they were NOT low budget hotels...for anyone who might think that.

Other negative thing was the horrible traffic in Saigon...but then again...is this so much better in BKK??? I doubt it. Thats why i dont like to stay long time in large cities...too much raffic...too much smog:-(

I rented a motobike in Vietnam for 4 days...and had much fun...didnt see any police at all..!! Great way to discover Vung Tau.

If I read the Thai visa forum threads regarding longterm visa it makes me wonder WHY people even want to stay in a country were they (obvioulsly) make visa rules realy hard. NO offence.....but it sets me off....it gives a very negative vibe towards forreigners imho.

Then again..I for my part have an easy talking as I am not aligned with a Thai lady....

OO btw...i found out there are DIRECT flights from HUa Hin Airport to Malaysia (KL)...cost about 120 euros (back and forth)...realy cheapo..!! Take about 1.5 hours. Will try that sometime in future. Now I know why i saw many Malaysian people in Hua Hin. 

All in all Thailand still is a realy beautiful country...with lovely food and great looking ladies.....but if i were to stay there longterm..I surely would retink again.

cheers...and take care all.

Hans (back in grey boring Germany:-(

53 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Severe beatings by Thai teachers are in the news often...girls are not spared excessive even criminal punishment...not making this stuff up!  Sorry you choose to defend Thai aggressive behavior.... 

Have you actually seen this? Yes, I suppose there is the odd case. but in teaching both in Prathom and Mattyum classes, I found the teachers very caring towards the students, especially in the Prathom classes.

16 hours ago, grollies said:

Obviously my extremely poor attempt at irony was missed by you and a few others.................????

Yeah well OK, It's just retiring here takes some time to see whether or not you like the place or not, if the OP listens to the likes of the bar stall expats community well he better look elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah well OK, It's just retiring here takes some time to see whether or not you like the place or not, if the OP listens to the likes of the bar stall expats community well he better look elsewhere.

Well, objectively the retirement visa rules have gotten more onerous in the last year or so, especially for those from the "unlucky" nationalities that were cut off from income letters. Plus the TM30 fiasco, etc. Strengthened baht. The trend is not good. I see nothing wrong at all and actually a lot right for potential future expats to be warned of negative changes and trends. Thailand isn't the only choice. 

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, objectively the retirement visa rules have gotten more onerous in the last year or so, especially for those from the "unlucky" nationalities that were cut off from income letters. Plus the TM30 fiasco, etc. Strengthened baht. The trend is not good. I see nothing wrong at all and actually a lot right for potential future expats to be warned of negative changes and trends. Thailand isn't the only choice. 

I concur about some regs but selfishly there not a problem to the likes of me I would still retire here, I was not referring to costs and exchange rates I referring to Thai government is hostile towards western falangs is something I don't believe.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:31 AM, grollies said:

What's your problem? The OP has raised a very important subject here, given the current percieved attitude of Thai Immigration, government and the local populus at large towards western expats. Its about time someone had the balls to start a discussion on this topic on an open forum such as Thai Visa.

the local populous where I live seems perfectly happy with us. What are you doing to alienate your locals?

Whether Thailand welcome Farang is a silly question. Do USA or Britain welcome foreigners coming to live in their countries? Is also a silly question. I have met people from middle east countries who adapt very very well in Britiain and USA. When I talked to them I know they are different from the others Arabs. First they speak English without heavy accent and good , very good English. They adopt the manners and culture of western countries that endear them to natives of their adopted countries..

If you wish to reside in Thailand on long term basis it would be good if you start learning the language both spoken and written. Probably take you 3 years to be good if you spend enough time on learning.

If you don't expect Thais to speak English you are in the right frame of mind to start learning Thai language. Why should Thais learn English? Do Thais in Britain expect the British to speak Thai? If not why not? Since Thais are expected to speak English in Thailand.

I heard so often that even if you speak perfect Thais they will never accept you in their society. This is another nonsense. Why would you want to be accepted in their society? You don't need to be accepted in their society. Do the British accept Thais living for 40 years in London in their society? I don't think so. You can be just as happy even if you were not accepted in their society. It's foolish to think otherwise.

If you mix with expats who spend their time complaining you are in the wrong company. Sitting in bars complaining of life in Thailand doesn't make life more interesting for you. No, life will not dull if you can talk to Thais in their language. If you have the kind heart to help them in whatever ways possible. Simple things like helping to build a sewage system, a water tank installation. All done in good faith will give you happiness.

I guess it would be a good idea during the winter months to go live in Thailand and the rest of the time you work in your country- that is if you are doing your own work or business. Do not retire unless you have health problems, retirement will kill you.

Whether Thailand welcome Farang is a silly question. Do USA or Britain welcome foreigners coming to live in their countries? Is also a silly question. I have met people from middle east countries who adapt very very well in Britiain and USA. When I talked to them I know they are different from the others Arabs. First they speak English without heavy accent and good , very good English. They adopt the manners and culture of western countries that endear them to natives of their adopted countries..
  If you wish to reside in Thailand on long term basis it would be good if you start learning the language both spoken and written. Probably take you 3 years to be good if you spend enough time on learning.
  If you don't expect Thais to speak English you are in the right frame of mind to start learning Thai language. Why should Thais learn English? Do Thais in Britain expect the British to speak Thai? If not why not? Since Thais are expected to speak English in Thailand.
  I heard so often that even if you speak perfect Thais they will never accept you in their society. This is another nonsense. Why would you want to be accepted in their society? You don't need to be accepted in their society. Do the British accept Thais living for 40 years in London in their society? I don't think so. You can be just as happy even if you were not accepted in their society. It's foolish to think otherwise.
   If you mix with expats who spend their time complaining you are in the wrong company. Sitting in bars complaining of life in Thailand doesn't make life more interesting for you. No, life will not dull if you can talk to Thais in their language. If you have the kind heart to help them in whatever ways possible. Simple things like helping to build a sewage system, a water tank installation. All done in good faith will give you happiness.
   I guess it would be a good idea during the winter months to go live in Thailand and the rest of the time you work in your country- that is if you are doing your own work or business. Do not retire unless you have health problems, retirement will kill you.

You're confusing expats with immigrants. Being on non immigrant status even for 40 years doesn't make you an immigrant.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

26 minutes ago, ylmiri said:

To be fair, Thailand's second language is officially English.

As they've been taught it since age 5, it's a reasonable assumption they should be able to speak it.

The UK teaches French and Spanish in schools, I can speak both reasonably well, but nobody teaches Thai as a second language.

Tesco delivery chap just turned up, he could speak enough English to phone me and say "delivery in 30 minutes".

Was buying some 25mm x 50mm box steel a month back, chap in the shop came up and started speaking perfect English.

I don't feel particularly welcome in Thailand, but then again as a white Christian older Brit male, I didn't feel all that welcome in London either. If our own government, own employers and our own women don't want us, why would we expect to be welcomed anywhere else?

On 9/10/2019 at 6:48 PM, scorecard said:

Example a couple of months back at MAKRO on the Superhighway in Chiang Mai. Two 50+ yr old Aussie guys both well overweight in very worn tight football shorts, no tops at all, both wearing dirty thongs, both had obvious loud bar girls in tow, loud and with minimum of clothing. All 4 yelling at each other and asking staff for many OZ grocery items (e.g. large four n twenty meat pies) which were not in stock. One guy deliberately frightening little kids. Both guys claiming that alcohol purchase restriction times didn't apply to them because 'we don't have that law in Australia'. Both yelling 'bring the manager' which was ignored.

Perhaps they were diplomats from the embassy doing a bit of shopping.

1 minute ago, kingdong said:

Perhaps they were diplomats from the embassy doing a bit of shopping.

Sort of doubt that but I can tell you 20 years ago I regularly attended the regular meetings of the German and the US Chambers of commerce in BANgkok, they were both well planned, interesting and valuable agendas and speakers and planned value added networking, and very inexpensive. I also attended the monthly Australian Chamber of Commerce meetings, very little value, lots of booze, every little structured planning, in the booze up was the feature. 

Archived