The "new" Elite Card

For those who are waiting for this supposed new reduced price card mentioned in the bangkok post a couple of months ago, I would not get your hopes up.

I called them today and it sounds like this plan for a reduced priced card with a 60,000 baht annual fee has been shelved. The salelady said they was some talk about it but the discussions have ended. It sounded too good to be true because it was appearantly not true.

One thing she said that was relevant was that the Post had the story wrong anyways. The new card they were thinking about would not cost 60,000 to buy. 60,000 was just for the annual fee.

Nobody was interested before and nobody's interested now.

Why are you bringing up this failed scam again ? :o

R.I.P. Elite card.

Naka.

If you dont like something or cant afford something, then this card has absolutely nothing to do with you.

Not all foreigners are so negative and frustrated in their own lives as you are

Whether its being retired, working or having lots of cash then i for one will always back and be positive for anything which allow foreigners to live their lives in harmony in thailand.

R.I.P naka

R.I.P. Elite card.

Naka.

If you dont like something or cant afford something, then this card has absolutely nothing to do with you.

Whether its being retired, working or having lots of cash then i for one will always back and be positive for anything which allow foreigners to live their lives in harmony in thailand.

R.I.P naka

Hampstead you must be joking ? :D I see nothing harmonious

about shelling out one million baht on something which has been a

failure from day one - you obviously haven't read the many other threads

on this subject ? Do some research and then come back in comment !!

R.I.P. Elite card.

Naka.

R.I.P naka

Well, it is certainly not a failure for those who bought the card from day one.

I enjoyed, still enjoy, ... and hope to enjoy the card as long as possible. It certainly makes my own life "harmonious" in Thailand.

I must admit that I have been very scared... when I read that, in the future, the card would cost only 60.000b instead of 1 million.

At that time I thought that this program would become a product of much lower quality.

At last I am reassured. But, of course, anything can change quickly in this country. I just hope it changes for the best rather than for the worst.

I sometimes wonder that the card might have more success if it was more expensive...

By the way, if you make some "research" on this subject you will find quite a lot of positive comments about the card. But it comes from people who have one, or are wealthy enough to burn some money for it...

Well, it is certainly not a failure for those who bought the card from day one.

I enjoyed, still enjoy, ... and hope to enjoy the card as long as possible. It certainly makes my own life "harmonious" in Thailand.

I must admit that I have been very scared... when I read that, in the future, the card would cost only 60.000b instead of 1 million.

At that time I thought that this program would become a product of much lower quality.

At last I am reassured. But, of course, anything can change quickly in this country. I just hope it changes for the best rather than for the worst.

I sometimes wonder that the card might have more success if it was more expensive...

By the way, if you make some "research" on this subject you will find quite a lot of positive comments about the card. But it comes from people who have one, or are wealthy enough to burn some money for it...

Exactly my thinking.

After the visa rules changes, the Thailand Elite card is one of the very few options to stay indefinitely in Thailand if you're under 50.

I'm [almost] 42, so that's 8 years till I'm eligible for the retirement visa.

For me, the amortized cost per year would be $30000 / 8 = $3750 (used to be $25000 - da*n you, Baht runup!)

Or, in other words, a 25% to 30% surcharge on my anticipated costs of living in LOS.

Is it worth it?

Everybody has to decide that for himself.

For me, it's right at the threshold of being worth it.

Folks, please realize that as for so many things in life there is no black or white, rather various shades of gray.

Due to the fact that I'll probably stay another year or so in the U.S. and due to the continuing Baht appreciation, the Elite card becomes less and less "worth it" FOR ME and I will probably move to the Philippines instead.

But again, it's not a black and white decision, rather one of the many gray areas people have to deal with so frequently.

R.I.P. Elite card.

Naka.

R.I.P naka

The joke is on these negative whinging posters, who seem to think that if they cant afford something then they shall continue to bark like a rabbied dog

I have no need to go back into the archives of tv on this subject and read the most frustrated people who live such dull and lonely lives with little income to show for their efforts, providing statements on a programme they can never afford and therefore has nothing to do with them.

There are many ways for different people to stay in thailand, this programme is for the guys who have more money than most and have no worries in spending that kind of money.

I for one will always support a programme which allows foreigners to stay in thailand, they should always be various visas for various people with various incomes and various needs.

Poor, rich, married, old, young, working, investing, retired -all people should enjoy a specific visa for them to stay in thailand and enjoy this country.

Edited by Hampstead

I for one am very happy with the service I have received as a Thailand Eilte member.Do I KNOW the programme will last forever or even stay as is...no I dont, but my options are very limited.

Heres why..I am under 40,not married,and have a job outside of Thailand that requires me to be there 3 to 4 times a month for about 4 days per time.You see,a tourist visa would not even work for me as it would need to be multiple entry as I leave several times per month.

Anyway,I use the airport transfers(often),airport lounges,fast track,have had the free med chech up at Bumrungrad(get 10% discount on any other visits there),have used a few of the spas/restaurant offers and of course the free roundtrip TG business class regional ticket.

Given my age and the frequency with which I use the services I figure I will more than get my money back over the long term...IF the programme survives.For now ,however,I am very happy with the service....and when I read the stories on TV of what some people are having to go through with immigration etc I am thankful I am fortunate enough to be in the position to buy this card.

You cannot put a price on your peace of mind.

In fact, in the past I suggested the TE marketing manager to organise cocktail parties for members.

I thought it might be good to for the company to have better "insight' from the members, on how the improve even more their services, and for the members to know eachother.

Unfortunately they did two gatherings where I could not go, and then I think they discontinued.

Their members represent much more than "only a million", and I think that they should capitalize on them too...

The joke is on these negative whinging posters, who seem to think that if they cant afford something then they shall continue to bark like a rabbied dog

I can afford one but I have found a much much more cost-effective way of staying here long term :o You see Hampstead in many cases ( although I acknowledge not always !)

those that have accumulated enough money to buy an Elite Card are usually quite astute

regarding the way they spend their money ! :D

...I have found a much much more cost-effective way of staying here long term...

So, would you be so nice and enlighten us as to HOW ?

"Pretend" business ?

Two passports (from one country) ?

Two passports (from two different countries) ?

A combination of visa runs and tourist visas ?

APEC card ?

3-year business visa ?

Retirement visa ?

Marriage visa ?

I can afford one but I have found a much much more cost-effective way of staying here long term :o You see Hampstead in many cases ( although I acknowledge not always !)

those that have accumulated enough money to buy an Elite Card are usually quite astute

regarding the way they spend their money ! :D

Good for you

Horses for courses

people who purchase in these amounts do so with the knowledge that it wont be taking food of their table

i am sure they are many more astute people in thailand who have shelled out millions of baht on their loving wife for land, house, car, gifts for the thai family.

Even with all the bad press on the last government this prgramme has weathered the storm and keeps on going

i can bet a fair few baht that this programme will last longer than most thai-foreign marriages!

so who is really being astute?

Those looking for a programme which allows to live a certain life in thailand, for whatever time period or those who seem intent on hancuffing their future life and hard earned savings on a marriage in thailand.

Thailand places too much emphasis on visa for retirees and marriages, which may or may not have to do with a certain brand of foreigners who have been living in thailand from the vietnam war onwards.

In todays world thailand needs to increase the amount of different visas and various programmes on offer to embrace other foreigners who would like to live or stay for short or long periods in thailand.

Edited by Hampstead

i can bet a fair few baht that this programme will last longer than most thai-foreign marriages!

I hope for your sake that you do not make your living from gambling.

:o:D:D

I am sure i will win, if its a bet on how much money many foerigners will lose by having a thai wife or even how long it will last!!!

As for the retirees making their comments on this thread, lets just hope the thai government changes the law and enforces a more up to date visa which allows foreigners who are not over 50 and do not live off pensions to live in thailand.

Thailand is waking up fast to the fact that foreigners looking to migrate to thailand are not from the indo-china wars with their pensions.

The more programmes, visa to refelect this fact will help all foreigners live their lives in thailand, without the prolonged negative comments from our esteem retirees, who are realising fast that maybe soon thailand will revamp these old visas to reflect the new breed of foreigners looking to live in thailand, who have money, incomes, skills, businesses rather than pensions.

Every time i read a negative post by our lovely retirees on this thread or any others, i just realize how afraid these old guys are of losing their visa advantages to younger guys with more money.

Edited by Hampstead

I am not sure why some posters on this forum seem to bash the Elite programme (and its members) whenever the name is brought up.I am not going to waste time trying to figure that out..I do think though that it is worth considering the many reasons why people chose to join this programme.

Some people who are members are wealthy enough that if the programme collapsed tomorrow they simply would not miss the money.Thats a fact pure and simple.

Some members found that they did not fit into any available visa category and were unwilling to "create a business" for a visa or a sham marriage or any other form of deception to make themselves "legal".

Some members are able to legally obtain a visa, they simply dont have the time or energy to figure out this months rules...i.e 90 day reporting to the parole officer,when and how,how much do I have to have in the bank and for how long,is it income or balance or both,what letter from which embassy and notarised by who etc etc etc....not to mention the...is it 30 voa + 30 voa + tourist visa and if so which consulate is issuing them this week and once I get one can I get another one when it expires and which land border will allow me to return when I do my visa run???...etc etc.

I also do not doubt that there are people who became members of Thailand Elite for the spas,golf,transfers etc,I think though it is fair to say they are the minority.

For these reasons and many more people bought and are continuing to buy into Thailand Elite,but I do not believe anyone did so thinking it could not all end tomorrow....it just works for them now. :o If you are bashing the programme because YOU see no benefit for YOU then thats ok,but at least be open to the possibility that it does work for others...

I am not sure why some posters on this forum seem to bash the Elite programme (and its members) whenever the name is brought up.I am not going to waste time trying to figure that out..I do think though that it is worth considering the many reasons why people chose to join this programme.

Some people who are members are wealthy enough that if the programme collapsed tomorrow they simply would not miss the money.Thats a fact pure and simple.

Some members found that they did not fit into any available visa category and were unwilling to "create a business" for a visa or a sham marriage or any other form of deception to make themselves "legal".

Some members are able to legally obtain a visa, they simply dont have the time or energy to figure out this months rules...i.e 90 day reporting to the parole officer,when and how,how much do I have to have in the bank and for how long,is it income or balance or both,what letter from which embassy and notarised by who etc etc etc....not to mention the...is it 30 voa + 30 voa + tourist visa and if so which consulate is issuing them this week and once I get one can I get another one when it expires and which land border will allow me to return when I do my visa run???...etc etc.

I also do not doubt that there are people who became members of Thailand Elite for the spas,golf,transfers etc,I think though it is fair to say they are the minority.

For these reasons and many more people bought and are continuing to buy into Thailand Elite,but I do not believe anyone did so thinking it could not all end tomorrow....it just works for them now. :o If you are bashing the programme because YOU see no benefit for YOU then thats ok,but at least be open to the possibility that it does work for others...

this is the part that does not compute with me :D

I had a very successful business in Sydney for eighteen years and accumulated

a nice fortune - but because that fortune represents sweat and tears over that 18

years I simply cannot relate to anyone with such a wasteful attitude ? And I believe

the many astute other businesspeople I've known over the years equally respect

their fortunes.

making a purchase of any kind these days requires an extra element of

" caveat emptor " - but in the case of Thailand Elite the fact that they attracted

so few genuine buyers ( as opposed to those who given the card ) compared to their

target that this in itself should raise the question - how long in reality can its keep going ? :D

this is the part that does not compute with me :D

I had a very successful business in Sydney for eighteen years and accumulated

a nice fortune - but because that fortune represents sweat and tears over that 18

years I simply cannot relate to anyone with such a wasteful attitude ? And I believe

the many astute other businesspeople I've known over the years equally respect

their fortunes.

making a purchase of any kind these days requires an extra element of

" caveat emptor " - but in the case of Thailand Elite the fact that they attracted

so few genuine buyers ( as opposed to those who given the card ) compared to their

target that this in itself should raise the question - how long in reality can its keep going ? :D

Absolutely Midas, it is a very wasteful attitude.Unfortunately though life is filled with examples to demonstrate that people who think this way exist. As an example,how do you justify the hi-so woman who buys the latest Chanel suit,shoes and bag (minimum 100 000b for the three),knowing full well she will wear it very few times and certainly not when next years collection is released!!She simply doesnt care because she looks great at that time and has plenty of money to buy more...you get the drift...some people just think of Elite as a prestige thing.

I also agree that Thailand Elite,left as-is will be in big trouble. Although still attacting members I dont believe it is enough to offset the cost of running the programme.Having spoken to a sales rep from TE this week,the idea of an Elite "lite" programme is still very much being considered.The 60 000 baht per year figure is still being thrown around. The issue now is how to differentiate it from the Thailand Longstay programme.So,seems they are at least trying to adjust their business model...only the future will tell.

Dont get me wrong,I am not throwing a blanket support for this programme or its members. I am just saying that for some people it is a viable solution to the visa issue...with a few benefits.

When I make a quick trip to Europe for 5 days I spend nearly 10.000 Euro.

So, you can imagine that the Elite card appeared to me as a real bargain...

For those who "amassed a fortune" during their life and don't want to lose a million, very good, no need to buy the card, better save the money...

For others, this million is just a part of interests or dividends gained from capital or equity... And, in many cases, it is a negligable amount.

Without burning their capital, lots of "astute businessman" spend lots of money on First class tickets or private jets, yachts, juwels for their wife and mistresses, golf and other clubs memberships, luxury watches, a house here and there, expensive cars, expensive restaurants... (Ever heard about the "1 million baht dinner" at The Dome?), etc...

The funny thing is that if the card was sold 60.000b the vast majority of the guys critisizing it would rush to the TE office to buy one :o

A far greater number would have rushed to buy one if they had ever been able to fulfill their initial promise of actual land ownership. :o

That was the single biggest benefit to card ownership to most looking to buy the card.... visas were waaaaay down the list and were only added as an after-thought because it didn't entail much real or actual cost to the government or the businesses involved.

The whole card program has been a total flop since its beginning, fret with corruption and mismanagement, which is rather unsurprising given it's creator. The pathetic number of members speaks for itself.

Is that a direct slam against the purchasers? No, not at all. Up to them... same as it is to anyone, as to what they do with their money.

Have you noticed than the folks who profess to have bought this card

never, ever specify exactly what benefits they got !

And I do not mean the usual blurb ... discounts at golf courses, spa's etc. ...

unspecified discounts by the way ... blah, blah, blah.

There again I guess anyone who has actually bought one

would be too embarrassed to tell exactly what they got

for their million Baht. :o

Naka.

Some members are able to legally obtain a visa, they simply dont have the time or energy to figure out this months rules...i.e 90 day reporting to the parole officer,when and how,how much do I have to have in the bank and for how long,is it income or balance or both,what letter from which embassy and notarised by who etc etc etc....

i (not so) humbly beg to differ. if somebody is entitled to obtain a longterm visa (e.g. as a retiree) and has the choice either to shell out a million baht for the "elite card" or go for the "usual" procedure the decision should be based purely on mathematics.

for those who lack basic mathematic skills :D here an example:

1 million Baht presently.......................31.250 US-dollars

offshore yield for USD (in my case)......~9.50%

= USD 2,968 = onshore THB 103,900

the fees of an "agent" to handle all immigration services including annual renewal of visa, multiple reentry visa and 90 days reporting are (worst case scenario taken) 12.000 baht p.a. and that includes that papers to sign are presented at the applicant's home and passport collected and delivered.

result: a profit of >91,900 baht (that's the annual salary of my wife's driver).

i am not sure whether the elite card covers the wife/husband too. if this is the case, handling fees have to be doubled for comparison but that still leaves a handsome surplus of nearly 80,000 baht a year... enough for several times lobster, caviar and champagne in an exclusive restaurant.

p.s. some people (i don't want to mention specific ones) have never seen a thai embassy or a thai immigration office from the inside. they are also not fighting with their own embassy to issue silly letters of confirmation. :o

completely different are of course the cases where applicants do not meet the requirements for a longterm visa. if they have enough money the elite card might be the proper vehicle for them.