For a change = returning to LOS ?

swissie

14 hours ago, swissie said:

As said, this thread is in stark opposition of the many "leaving Thailand threads". The very green grass of home may not replace "THE SPICE OF LIVE" that Thailand has to offer.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming loudly Wow! What a ride!” Hunter S. Thompson

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When everything is translated into the truth we are all left with one reality

Where ever you go there you are.

There are some deeply troubled souls here that hang on the belief that an air ticket to Vietnam will magically transform their lives. However the honeymoons are inevitably nearly always short lived

Especiallyas my home-country health-insurance offers renewable 12 month Travel-Insurance coverage (in combination with standart home-country insurance) at an extremely competitive rate.

i wish I could get a deal like that ! My health insurance from home in Ireland allows me to get travel insurance cheaper and offers a generous allowance for emergency health issues abroad ..BUT.. it is limited to 180 days a year and only up to 60 days in one trip ..I cannot opt for year round insurance . Th cost of health insurance in Thailand for older folk is astronomical. ... or am I talking nonsense ? Any advice appreciated .. 

3 hours ago, Kurtf said:

If you enjoy driving, I would suggest staying where you are. Because Thai drivers will, guaranteed, raise your blood pressure and take all the joy of driving away from you. JMHO

No need to drive....... sit on the beach better...

I do agree. Thailand is a bit anarchic and so can be quite exciting and edgy. Personally I find the freedom here very refreshing compared to either the UK or US which have become police states with 24 hour surveillance. 

The institutions don't work here. It seems that few government websites actually work and the police don't enforce anything except in rare times of 'crackdowns'. So the populace can do pretty much what they want.

When I first came ti Thailand I drove past a police station fgoing the wrong way on a one way street, on a motorcycle with no helmet on.....try doing that in the US, the cop would shoot you, and in the UK you would never drive again. In Thailand all is forgiven.

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Good luck to you.     I hope you find an outstanding Thai village  gentleman who will  hopefully be the companion you seek.

By companion I did not necessarily mean a man, nor is my name a woman’s.. 

so far, so good...I have spent winter months in thailand due to "I just dont like the cold months where I live in the USA. November thru March...would stay thru April...but really do not care for Sonkran at all. This works great for me. Have friends telling me to stay all year...but as of yet, no desire. I do remember at one time (long ago) the baht was 40-41 to the $1, those days are gone. The prices are high, but as the years go by, i spend less and less, so it really hasnt much effect. People come and go...pattaya stays the same.

Hi Swissie, thanks for your post.

You wrote that you traveled around the world to find a suitable place to live.

Would you share some information about the countries you visited? Yeah, I know, you might find that a

hard job. Or else would you just high light some countries like Ecuador, Chile, Middle America only if you have been there of course. You think the world ranking list like the one from Internations makes sence?

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

When I first came ti Thailand I drove past a police station fgoing the wrong way on a one way street, on a motorcycle with no helmet on.....try doing that in the US, the cop would shoot you, and in the UK you would never drive again. In Thailand all is forgiven.

Quite weird to go through a red light on my scooter inadvertently, only to be followed by a traffic cop about 50 metres behind me. Who then sped past me.

Lived in Bangkok for 12 years but returned to my home country shortyly after the turn of the century.  Return about once every 2-3 years for a month.  Not so sure I want to live in Thailand full time but maybe 4-5 winter months a year.  Would love to be able to do that on non-retirement visa.

Glad that the original poster found something that worked for him.  

6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I admire you for making the move instead of just talking about it.  I do wish that farangs who are unhappy with their life in Thailand simply go back home instead of whining/whinging endlessly on TV.  They may realize that their unhappiness really has nothing to do with Thailand but more their inner self.  And if it turns out that they are happiest at home and never return, even better.  Everybody wins!

I am living in Thailand since 1988 and how many times did I write in this Forum that Thailand is not paradise but that compared to other options it is still the best place to stay for foreigners compared to all other countries between Istanbul and Tokyo. I gladly accept the one time in a year bureaucratic hassle the get an extension of my Non Imm O Visa.... Indeed in most other countries it is worse.

4 hours ago, Onrai said:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming loudly Wow! What a ride!” Hunter S. Thompson

And what did he do? Mentally ill suicide. Shot himself in the head.

By the way I've heard similar 'quotes' allegedly by other people, or in some cases from no one at all just internet posters. 'Sliding in sideways with a glass of wine in my hand' from women. Don't believe anything you read on the internet.

Great post and understandable. I go home and sometimes I cannot step out of the airport and one time turned around got on a flight back to BKK. But would be very greatful if you could share where one can purchase the one year travel insurance as most of the ones i looked at only covered trips of maximum 75 days per trip.

15 minutes ago, asean said:

Great post and understandable. I go home and sometimes I cannot step out of the airport and one time turned around got on a flight back to BKK. But would be very greatful if you could share where one can purchase the one year travel insurance as most of the ones i looked at only covered trips of maximum 75 days per trip.

The one thing Bangkok and Thailand generally is that it makes me feel ALIVE!

8 hours ago, asean said:

There are travel insurance policies on offer, that can be either multiple trip with an annual policy, or a continuous 12 mth policy that can be renewed.. 

So many conditions in ultra fine print. Your policy commences from leaving your home country and arriving back in your home country. Policy is only applicable for tourism and you must be a resident of your home country.

If you travel with a SETV or METV you are covered, because you have a tourist visa. But if on a Non-Imm visa, the policy is null and void, even though you are classed as a temporary resident, but with annual extensions.. Then you are classed as a non resident from your home country. 

So for those that want to spend 6-9 mths in LOS on an METV you can be covered with the appropriate policy. But try and use it on your retirement or marriage visa extension, and you will soon enough discover that you will not be covered, full stop.. 

15 hours ago, watcharacters said:
17 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I admire you for making the move instead of just talking about it.  I do wish that farangs who are unhappy with their life in Thailand simply go back home instead of whining/whinging endlessly on TV.

Would you prefer to have more censorship?

Wait a minute, are you trying to censor my opinion?  Hypocritical much? 

16 hours ago, Brunolem said:

The spice of life... right on spot! 

The richer, and safer, the country, the deader it is. 

Thailand has its problems, like every country, but it is alive! 

No 9 to 5, no Sunday close, no August holidays and no long winter... life goes on 24/7.

In Germany, you feel like killing yourself after 5 pm, in France, it's on Sunday... Southern Europe, Spain, Portugal, Italy, fares better, but still comes short to Thailand. 

Plus there is obviously the climate issue... during the 8 to 9 months of winter, Europeans are not encouraged to wander outdoors, and remain locked at home. 

Remain locked at home?? Utter nonsense.

20 hours ago, Brunolem said:

The spice of life... right on spot! 

The richer, and safer, the country, the deader it is. 

Thailand has its problems, like every country, but it is alive! 

No 9 to 5, no Sunday close, no August holidays and no long winter... life goes on 24/7.

In Germany, you feel like killing yourself after 5 pm, in France, it's on Sunday... Southern Europe, Spain, Portugal, Italy, fares better, but still comes short to Thailand. 

Plus there is obviously the climate issue... during the 8 to 9 months of winter, Europeans are not encouraged to wander outdoors, and remain locked at home. 

You live your live in a city I pressume. In the real Thailand life stops at 21:00 hr and starts at 05:00 hr (rooster)

7 hours ago, owenm said:

There are travel insurance policies on offer, that can be either multiple trip with an annual policy, or a continuous 12 mth policy that can be renewed.. 

So many conditions in ultra fine print. Your policy commences from leaving your home country and arriving back in your home country. Policy is only applicable for tourism and you must be a resident of your home country.

If you travel with a SETV or METV you are covered, because you have a tourist visa. But if on a Non-Imm visa, the policy is null and void, even though you are classed as a temporary resident, but with annual extensions.. Then you are classed as a non resident from your home country. 

So for those that want to spend 6-9 mths in LOS on an METV you can be covered with the appropriate policy. But try and use it on your retirement or marriage visa extension, and you will soon enough discover that you will not be covered, full stop.. 

Wow, I have an Non Imm OA Visa which would then mean that I have been staying here under the false impression that I am covered by the travel insurance policy which I took.  In course of coming days I I will check out my policy (the ultra-fine print you are mentioning).  Any suggestions for a travel insurance policy when you are staying here on a Non Imm Visa?

Thanks for the info!

On 9/18/2019 at 12:01 PM, Peter Denis said:

Nice and so true story!

From your profile-name I presume that you are referring to Switzerland.

Quick question > Is the 12 month Travel-insurance coverage you are talking about, also possible for EU-citizens?

I am from Belgium and simply cannot find such package (the best I found was an annual policy covering trips up to 6 months, but you need to return for 2 weeks to your home-country, before your next 6 month trip will be covered).

This applies only to Switzerland and my individual Swiss health insurance. (Don't know about EU countries.)
Requirements: Must remain registered in Switzerland (official residential adress).
              Must retain regular standart health insurance in Switzerland.
              Travel insurance valid for 26 weeks. Then can renew for next 26 weeks.
              Cost: CHF 80 p/M. Coverage CHF 150'000. (4,5 Million BHT).
Note: Total monthly cost is: CHF 400 (standart health insurance) + CHF 80 (travel insurance)= CHF 480 (14'400 Bht).
Conclusion: Decent health coverage comes at a price, no matter how you slice it.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:22 PM, hugocnx said:

Hi Swissie, thanks for your post.

You wrote that you traveled around the world to find a suitable place to live.

Would you share some information about the countries you visited? Yeah, I know, you might find that a

hard job. Or else would you just high light some countries like Ecuador, Chile, Middle America only if you have been there of course. You think the world ranking list like the one from Internations makes sence?

Cheers.

I visited the "usual suspects": Spain, Portugal, Equador, Mexico, Cambodia, Vietnam.
Can't go into details as far as "why not" as it would produce a 3 page post.
"World ranking lists" can give clues at best. It's very much dependent on Lifestyle. Or in other words: On what does a person spend his money!

On September 18, 2019 at 7:13 AM, madmen said:

When everything is translated into the truth we are all left with one reality

Where ever you go there you are.

There are some deeply troubled souls here that hang on the belief that an air ticket to Vietnam will magically transform their lives. However the honeymoons are inevitably nearly always short lived

I beg to differ on that, many like the other side of the fence.

to each their own.

23 hours ago, asean said:

When I step out of the airport the first thing I feel is the CLEAN air, and blue sky. Something I miss while I'm away. I escape the winters, but to lve in Asia full time, and give up my beautiful home country? 

No in a million years.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:13 AM, newatthis said:

Why? He /She is just whining / whinging about other whiners/ whingers. 

In your opinion..In my opinion there was a couple of good points within the post. One in particular about unhappiness coming from within the person. Opinions eh?

9 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

When I step out of the airport the first thing I feel is the CLEAN air, and blue sky. Something I miss while I'm away. I escape the winters, but to lve in Asia full time, and give up my beautiful home country? 

No in a million years.

Judging from your profile-name, I guess that your home is in Canada or the bordering US states.

Beautiful indeed, and so you live in the best of both worlds...

Archived